Skyhawk slats

Pat C

Was just about to hack away at the slats of an old Italeri A4M so they could be shown down when I found this pic of the aircraft I was planning to model

http://a4skyhawk.org/content/159491-vmat-102-photographer-unknown-g-verver-collection-5937

The slats are up which I don't think I've seen before on a parked aircraft. I understood them to fall down due to gravity so does the pic imply that the slats were pinned up for this bird and if so what would be the rationale? A problem causing asymmetric deployment that was temporarily fixed by pinning them permenantly up maybe?

Pat

Pat,

I found a discussion of this same question on the ARC website, and I have posted the link below; I think it will help. F-86 and F-100 slats could be pushed closed by hand, and if not disturbed, would usually remain closed until bumped or if the aircraft began moving I found two written references that stated that the Kiwis sometimes held the slats of their Scooters closed with straps when doing maintenance/loading stores, etc.

Mike

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=207661

• Like 1

The slats should always extend under gravity, any slat that didn't required adjustment asap.

Binding slats could be adjusted by standing on the drop tank and kicking the Bejesus out of it.

Any stories about them staying up is complete BS.

There is a strap for holding them closed, it consists of a clip that slips over the upper trailing edge of the slat

crosses over the leading edge and is secured via a pip pin to the under wing jack point.

Been there, done that got the badge.

• Like 3

Thanks for the help all. I can see the strap now it has been pointed out. Interestingly there are two pics of this aircraft on that site that look to be taken at different times and the slats are up on both occasions. All of the other VMAT-102 birds seem to have them extended as normal. Save me a bit of cutting I suppose although I may think about dropping the flaps instead.

Pat

I can't speak as to the A-4, never having played with one. But on the Sabre the slats can easily be pushed up or pulled down by hand. I've done it myself just to see what was under there (natural metal area and a bunch of access panels, if anyone is interested). The slats don't really "droop", although that's the term most use. Rather, they extend, and when you pull them out or push them up it feels like they're riding on roller bearings. If you push them up they'll stay up. Here's a pic of a Sabre Mk 6 with one up and one extended. Oh, by the way... if you do model your aircraft with the slats extended, note that it's all a continuous smooth airfoil under the slat. Some kits have moulded a step there for the slat to fit into!

Bob

sabre.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, by the way... if you do model your aircraft with the slats extended, note that it's all a continuous smooth airfoil under the slat. Some kits have moulded a step there for the slat to fit into!

Bob

That comment needs pictures.

Now I'm wondering whether the Skyhawk has step there so that the trailing edge of the slat sits flush with the wing upper surface? :hmmm:

Now I'm wondering whether the Skyhawk has step there so that the trailing edge of the slat sits flush with the wing upper surface? :hmmm:

Wez - it puzzled me too but the below I think illustrates what Bob was saying. There is a step if you compare the area with the wing portions either side, but a smooth transition as you go towards the leading edge.

Pat

http://www.network54.com/Forum/232726/thread/1324076834/A4+Skyhawk+slat+question

• Like 1

There is no step at all.

• Like 2

Wez - it puzzled me too but the below I think illustrates what Bob was saying. There is a step if you compare the area with the wing portions either side, but a smooth transition as you go towards the leading edge.

Pat

http://www.network54.com/Forum/232726/thread/1324076834/A4+Skyhawk+slat+question

Pat,

You're a top man, that illustrates it nicely (possibly the best photo I've seen of that), that makes reproducing that area on an F-86, A-4, F4D, B-66, F-100 etc a lot easier.

Steve,

You replied as I was typing, thanks for confirming that.

Wez

Neat photo- I would have thought there was a step where the trailing edge of the slat met the wing! For the F-86 commenters, I found a great photo of a Sabre with the slats extended that also shows the lack of a definite step, just a gradual tapering from the trailing edge to the leading edge of the slat bay. An added bonus is a good illustration and description of the differences between the Sabre wing types!

Mike

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129670

All the Slats I've ever worked on have had this...The concaved slat's rear fits snuggly to the convex wing leading edge.You need a smooth aerodynamic surface between the extended Slat and wing, a step would kill it and dump lift.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Reading my first post I see it may be a bit confusing. Maybe this will help clarify what I meant. On the first photo you can see that there is no step on the wing where the back of the slat abuts (nestles in would be an odd but good way to put it)... or if you want to be technical, there may be a step about the thickness of the aluminum skin (maybe .025mm or so in 1/48). Look at the other two photos and you can see how the wings have a prominent step where the slat would retract. In fairness, if you provide the option of extended or retracted slats in a kit there's going to be a step there to fit the retracted slat into, and the smaller the scale the more oversize it would be.

Bob

slat1.jpg

slat2.jpgslat3.jpg

• Like 3

Reading my first post I see it may be a bit confusing. Maybe this will help clarify what I meant. On the first photo you can see that there is no step on the wing where the back of the slat abuts (nestles in would be an odd but good way to put it)... or if you want to be technical, there may be a step about the thickness of the aluminum skin (maybe .025mm or so in 1/48). Look at the other two photos and you can see how the wings have a prominent step where the slat would retract. In fairness, if you provide the option of extended or retracted slats in a kit there's going to be a step there to fit the retracted slat into, and the smaller the scale the more oversize it would be.

Bob

Bob,

I got what you meant right away, although I was surprised because in all of these years, I'd never seen a clear picture of that area on either the F-86, F-100, A-4, F4D or B-66 which all have similar engineering, I'd assumed (wrongly), that there was a slight rebate for the trailing edge of the slat to nestle into to give a flush upper surface. I think my assumption was based upon 1) only ever seeing a kit representation of that area, and 2) the expectation that there was a rebate. The trailing edge of the slat is much thinner than I thought.

I only asked for pictures because if I hadn't seen this before, others wouldn't have too. Thanks to you for providing the pictures and Pat for providing the link that showed the Skyhawk slat.

Every day is a school day as they say!

Bob,

I got what you meant right away, although I was surprised because in all of these years, I'd never seen a clear picture of that area on either the F-86, F-100, A-4, F4D or B-66 which all have similar engineering, I'd assumed (wrongly), that there was a slight rebate for the trailing edge of the slat to nestle into to give a flush upper surface. I think my assumption was based upon 1) only ever seeing a kit representation of that area, and 2) the expectation that there was a rebate. The trailing edge of the slat is much thinner than I thought.

I only asked for pictures because if I hadn't seen this before, others wouldn't have too. Thanks to you for providing the pictures and Pat for providing the link that showed the Skyhawk slat.

Every day is a school day as they say!

No problem, Wez. It was more for myself that I added the additional pics, as I realized that I hadn't explained it very well, and some might have thought I was referring to the step at the inboard and outboard edges of the slats. A step on the wing - as moulded on most kits - would probably act as a spoiler, disrupt the airflow and kill the lift! And here's an interesting bit of trivia: The RCAF Golden Hawks demonstration team used both hard-wing Sabre Mk 5s, and then slatted-wing Sabre Mk 6s. I've heard that they didn't especially like using the Mk 6s. Although a more maneuverable aircraft, at times their slats would pop at slightly different moments, making it more difficult to hold their positions in unison.

• Like 2

Here are a couple more slat up and down pics:

w0012.jpg

Jari

For me, the interesting thing to note is the lightening holes in the underside of the slat, I wonder if the F-86 and F-100had these :hmmm: