Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb

Looks very, very nice. Lovely build.

Thank You very much

Very nice work, the paint looks great

Thank you, I used Tamiya flat earth, and Hu 27. The Humbrol paint really didn't like being used, hence there's a bit of 2 toning on the right wing. I can put that down to harsh weather conditions in the Mediterranean ;)

NICE. Even though it has wings and no turret.

I'm not sure whether it's suitable for smaller scales than 1/35th, but I use Winsor and Newtons Galleria Acrylic matt varnish and it's lovely. Requires no or very little thinning and dries perfectly matt whatever underlies it.

Regards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

NICE. Even though it has wings and no turret.

I'm not sure whether it's suitable for smaller scales than 1/35th, but I use Winsor and Newtons Galleria Acrylic matt varnish and it's lovely. Requires no or very little thinning and dries perfectly matt whatever underlies it.

Regards,

Badder

Thanks Badder! I've heard good things about that stuff, but it took me all my courage to use the matt cote after the clear issue haha

A very nice model! Very good paint job. But I agree with Spitfire31. The exhaust could look a liitle bit more burnt. And if I may tell you : one thing that I learned hear, never paint the bar red........................except your model should show a restorated post war Spit.......

:shutup:

Andy

• Like 1

Another option - I've found Vallejo's Matt Varnish (70.520) to be absolutely spot on - unlike their Gloss, which doesn't perform nearly as well for me.

Funny you should mention that, that stuff silvered the test area of my Hurricane. I thought it was weird as I've heard really good things of it

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG THE RED CROW BAR HAS STRUCK AGAIN. :hanging:

Very neat build indeed!

Maybe tone down the exhusts a bit to imitate burnt steel? And paint the crowbar green or steel. ;-)

Excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

A very nice model! Very good paint job. But I agree with Spitfire31. The exhaust could look a liitle bit more burnt. And if I may tell you : one thing that I learned hear, never paint the bar red........................except your model should show a restorated post war Spit.......

:shutup:

Andy

Ah guys, you got me! You're right. Historical innaccuracies, eh? In my defence, all I know about spitfires and crowbars is that I've seen others do the same (having never ACTUALLY seen one with my own eyes).

MG_0561.jpg

I present to you, the amended product.

• Like 1

Very neat build indeed!

Maybe tone down the exhusts a bit to imitate burnt steel? And paint the crowbar green or steel. ;-)

Excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Could you recommend anything? I was thinking the exact same, but at the time of posting, that's the best I could muster up

Excellent build and finish Mark,I,m not a fan of Humbrol clear,try Humbrol gloss coat thinned with enamel thinners and Matt coat treated the same way

a dry brush of black or rusty brown should tone down the exhaust's but this is best done before fixing in place and the brush needs to be very dry so it

almost "powder's" on

• Like 1

Excellent build and finish Mark,I,m not a fan of Humbrol clear,try Humbrol gloss coat thinned with enamel thinners and Matt coat treated the same way

a dry brush of black or rusty brown should tone down the exhaust's but this is best done before fixing in place and the brush needs to be very dry so it

almost "powder's" on

I ended up using matt cote thinned down, I'll try the dry brushing technique for sure, Thanks Stevey Lad

• Like 1

That's a great looking Vb. I have this kit to start, hopefully soon- how did the landing gear go?.. I've heard things.

You've done a lovely crisp paint and decal job. The exhausts could be toned down a bit for my taste.They were made from stainless steel that became gradually more bronze/brown with temp and use. A good way to replicate is to mix burnt umber with silver, for a bronze colour .Then mix in black to the above colour and thin almost to a wash,go over to darken/shade.

• Like 1

That's a great looking Vb. I have this kit to start, hopefully soon- how did the landing gear go?.. I've heard things.

You've done a lovely crisp paint and decal job. The exhausts could be toned down a bit for my taste.They were made from stainless steel that became gradually more bronze/brown with temp and use. A good way to replicate is to mix burnt umber with silver, for a bronze colour .Then mix in black to the above colour and thin almost to a wash,go over to darken/shade.

Yeah, I'm going to sort the exhausts soon. I thought I'd used the same colour as my previous builds. It doesn't look too bad in person but the lighting in this makes it look light silver. The landing gear was a right pig, the pegs don't fit great, to the extent that even superglue took ages to set. I set it in an approximate position, and left it on stilts overnight which seemed to work

• 4 weeks later...