March 2016 Scale Aviation Modeller Editorial

Andy Young

The March 2016 issue arrived this morning, and whilst reading the editorial, I thought "this all sounds familiar", and on checking with the February 2016 issue, it's exactly the same, word for word!. I'm glad it wasn't just me losing my marbles!. Now I'd have thought that there would be something new to write about given the diversity of subjects in the magazine.

However, there's a good build article on the Roden 1/144 Britannia by Huw Morgan including some good modelling skills - nice model.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

This is obviously part of the survey to find out who actually reads the editorials.....

Agree with the praise for the Britannia review, I am still awaiting a new propellor as my kit had one with two blades missing and not even any remnants in the bag or box.

Two attempts at hand crafting a repair looked pretty awful, so I await the change of importer to catch up.

John

You got me it was all part of a cunning plan to go with the survey on the SAMi Facebook page.

More honestly it was a muck up the two files got muddled due to some last minute changes as we went to press.

Do not worry my riveting read will be back next month :doh: .

DF

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds to me that they have got rid of the editor and until they can find a new editor they will continue to repeat the editorial.

Its not setting good example for the readers of the magazine though? It makes you wonder that if they haven't bothered to check the editorial, have they bothered to proof read the contents of the said published magazine or just skimpt it

The April issue is still using the same editorial as the last 2, that must make it into the Guiness book of records surely.

Not in my issue....??? (April 2016 Vol 22 Issue 4)

The February and March editorials were the same - but the April one is different (although it has the same photo of the Editor sat in a MiG-21)

No.... I tell a lie - it's only the first paragraph that is different - presumably cut-and-pasted into the previous month's editorial without any proof-reading.

What is going on ???

Ken

Sounds to me that they have got rid of the editor and until they can find a new editor they will continue to repeat the editorial.

Its not setting good example for the readers of the magazine though? It makes you wonder that if they haven't bothered to check the editorial, have they bothered to proof read the contents of the said published magazine or just skimpt it

I have actually sent a email to the editor, with the same thoughts and awaiting a reply.

As long as my build of the Hobby Boss 1/32nd scale Il-2 Shturmovik is in the April issue*, I'll be happy.

Regards,

Jason

*Shameless Self-Promotion

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

As long as my build of the Hobby Boss 1/32nd scale Il-2 Shturmovik is in the April issue*, I'll be happy.

Regards,

Jason

*Shameless Self-Promotion

Hi Jason

its not "Shameless Self-Promotion" at all. Its nice to read that a member of Britmodeller contributes to various magazines. It helps to put a name or face to the article being read and its a sort of pat on the back for Britmodeller for having such skilled modellers amongst its members able to build to a high standard. Even though some modellers use "sudo" names, I have slowly started to recognise names in magazines with build articles and it sort of reinforces my reason to be on here - picking the brains of experienced modellers, hoping to make MY builds that much easier and avoiding pitfalls. Next time you have a build coming up in a magazine, do a bit of "Shameless Self Promotion" I for one will be interested

• Like 2

Thank you, Ray! I'm always up for a bit of 'Shameless Self-Promotion' if it will get me a bit more bob. I have a modelling addiction hobby to support, you know.

Best Regards,

Jason

On page 366 of the April SAMI a build on the 1/72 Heller Saab Lansen by Paul Bradley. There is an illustration showing the sparse interior which in fact is a A-26 Invader fuselage. I don't think they proof read the magazine as Easter was very early this year. This is not a go at them as I subscribe.

The Lansen is by Adam Rehorn, and it appears the caption was mixed up with the A-26 that is also in Classic Plastic. Sorry.

While not wishing to appear flippant, these sorts of minor proofing errors happen in every magazine, in every issue - with tight deadlines, they are virtually inevitable. Editors are only human (well, mostly... :winkgrin: ) and, sometimes, we writers are too close to the work to spot our own errors. :banghead:

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 1