M4 Sherman - painting & weathering

ironwork

Nice, but too complicated for me. I achieve a similar effect by leaving my models in the attic for 35yrs. :ninja:

Rearguards.

Badder

Happy mices :winkgrin:

There's a couple figures into the box, with a nice and relaxed attitude. I decided to add them for the sake of some more "life" to the model.

Not a great effort in painting, since they will be half-sunk into the hatches.

I was going fast and had to use my smartphone. I apologize for blurry pictures.

EEEEEEEEEasy paintjob for uniforms. A basecoat, SDW Shading Colors mix, is painted and stretched over the primed figure (MULTIMEDIA PRIMER).

sherman_bocage_true-earth_53.jpg

Directly over this fresh layer, deep shadows added mixing base color with black. (very deep and contrasted shadows, due to figures laying into hatches)

sherman_bocage_true-earth_54.jpg

Same way for lights. No concern about blending colors, just put them where needed.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_55.jpg

Then some minutes beside a moderate warmth (a box with a 25 watt bulb)

sherman_bocage_true-earth_55a.jpg

Most of the blending is made thanks to the peculiar features of these paints, and further helped by heat (mind SDW colors can be used like oil colors).

At this stage we can adjust and refine the whole where needed, since paints into a palette will stay fresh for hours.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_56.jpg

sherman_bocage_true-earth_57.jpg

• Like 2

So,

Happy mices :winkgrin:

There's a couple figures into the box, with a nice and relaxed attitude. I decided to add them for the sake of some more "life" to the model.

Not a great effort in painting, since they will be half-sunk into the hatches.
I was going fast and had to use my smartphone. I apologize for blurry pictures.

EEEEEEEEEasy paintjob for uniforms. A basecoat, SDW Shading Colors mix, is painted and stretched over the primed figure (MULTIMEDIA PRIMER).

sherman_bocage_true-earth_53.jpg

Directly over this fresh layer, deep shadows added mixing base color with black. (very deep and contrasted shadows, due to figures laying into hatches)

sherman_bocage_true-earth_54.jpg

Same way for lights. No concern about blending colors, just put them where needed.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_55.jpg

Then some minutes beside a moderate warmth (a box with a 25 watt bulb)

sherman_bocage_true-earth_55a.jpg

Most of the blending is made thanks to the peculiar features of these paints, and further helped by heat (mind SDW colors can be used like oil colors).

At this stage we can adjust and refine the whole where needed, since paints into a palette will stay fresh for hours.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_56.jpg

sherman_bocage_true-earth_57.jpg

So, Ironwork, excellent stuff, really excellent, but do you work for the True Earth? Only, I googled the product above and your moniker came up again. :popcorn:

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

@Badder :D

Now we are coming towards the end of the whole finishing job.
This is what I consider to be the most important step in shape enhance of a model : selective washes.

We need clean water, a n.1 brush and a tone of Transparent Filter suited for tank's colors and contrasts. Here I opted for DARK AGEING.
The black-circled area was already treated and dry, just to show the difference in depht and detail-stand-out such an effect can add.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_58.jpg

The area to be treated is dampened with just a bit of water.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_59.jpg

With the same wet brush, pick up a bit of pure-unthinned filter and distemper it into recesses and around raised objects.

The wet brush helps the filter flow down the bristles, and gets a sort of thinning.
The water-wet surface avails the filter to flow into recesses and further dilutes the wash.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_60.jpg

sherman_bocage_true-earth_61.jpg

One more word : We all had the habit of wash = capillarity, Capillarity helps a wash to flow into recesses, but this same feature "pushes" the color outside. This is why many washes have to be cleaned with a solvent around edges, due to staining and shroud.

Transparent Filters instead, when used as washes, have a minimal capillarity. We avail it with water, and "driving" a bit the filter with the brush around the objects.
The counterpart ? Cleanliness. Once placed them in the right spot, and checked for overdoing, just forget them.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_62.jpg

• Like 5

i have general & dark agin and use for my pin washes... would you recommend doing on gloss or matt surface (I tend to do mine after an overall wash of green tying everything in and before streaking... may try the opposite on my E8 and streak first

EDIT - and of course, STUNNING work

Edited by robw_uk

@ Robw :thumbsup:

And here some pictures of the almost finished tank.
Somewhat naked to be an US tank, but all extra charge will be added later, as soon as some infantrymen figures will be modified to fit over the hull.

sherman_bocage_true-earth_63.jpg

sherman_bocage_true-earth_64.jpg

sherman_bocage_true-earth_65.jpg

sherman_bocage_true-earth_66.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2016 at 10:26 AM, Badder said:

Nice, but too complicated for me. I achieve a similar effect by leaving my models in the attic for 35yrs. :ninja:

Rearguards.

Badder

Two years for me, but I'm up for a challenge 

Armour plate takes a long time to rust because of the corrosion-inhibiting elements in the alloy: carbon, manganese, nickel, chromium, etc.  Unfortunately I think that much rust on your engine deck would probably take some years to develop. 

Weld metal will always remain a bright silvery colour and will not rust.  Unarmoured mild steel parts such as fenders, bins, tool brackets etc will of course rust.  You will get rust streaks from those mild steel parts, and from any mild steel fastenings like screws and bolts used on armoured parts.

Sorry to be critical about the rust.  Over-rusting seems to be something of a trend at the moment.  I very much like the rest of the finish and I'll be saving this thread for later reference.

Hi Giuseppe,

Very nice weathering I have bought most of your product and must say they are fantastic :like: love the TEAM tutorials as well, I weathered my 1:24 Jeep with your product and found your product easy to use, no smell and this was my first time weathering, hope to do better and learn how you do it. 

AEwsoS.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 1