Trumpeter 1/35 Hind Mi-24 Gunship

Madhatter

Maybe from that photo, but there are a multitude of pictures that show I have the right colours. Seems that there a lot of variations, so I went with the closest I could to the majority.

Haha, and here's me thinking they just like being different. Wonder if that psychology extends to the choice of colours to the SU27 etc cockpits ?

Thanks for the interest guys :)

Should think so. Another interesting feature is that on Russian planes on the artificial horizon, the horizon stays put and the little plane moves, whereas on Western planes it's the other way around. http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Western_and_Russian_Artificial_Horizon_Formats

• Like 1

very short update for now, but it's taken me quite a while just to get this far

The engines.... I wasn't going to detail these as I thought they were all right out of the box, however, after seeing a few pictures of these online, I decided I may as well do something with them

This is the accumulation of 5 hours work - not much really in the greater scheme of things

IMG_2993_zpssuuwom0n.jpg

IMG_2994_zpszmxhm5vc.jpg

IMG_2995_zpswxlxs6ms.jpg

Only 3 photos sorry.

I have added some paint already to them and will show the final shots of this area later

As always, thanks for looking

MH

• Like 6

thanks guys.I'm pretty with how they're coming out myself

Work continues along. I've added some missing wiring and piping onto the engine base/roof. There is more to add yet, but I need to wait until the engines are attached before I add the rest of it. There is also a boxlike thing up front next to the intakes which is missing. Its quite prominent and I am surprise Trumpeter missed it. I will live without it.

IMG_2997_zps4wgbwi9f.jpg

IMG_2996_zpsf7w0letf.jpg

IMG_3001_zpsz7v8ctao.jpg

IMG_2999_zps642dt0bn.jpg

And I have also started detailing the wheel wells. I know that Eduard provide a PE set for this kit and part of it includes some braces in the front bay area. Because I', cheap, I built my own and they look fine. I don't often turn my builds over once they're done, so I am not to concerned if there are mistakes. They look like the pictures I have, so that'll do :)

IMG_3005_zps1u78pqec.jpg

IMG_3004_zps9hxrwohu.jpg

IMG_3002_zpszmx7g6ep.jpg

I have also started putting together some of the smaller sub-assemblies but no photos of those yet as they are not the most exciting thing ever....yet ;)

As always, thanks for looking

MH

• Like 6

thanks guys -glad you like it

I have realised today that I may have painted the cockpit in the wrong colours. It would seem the Czech Hinds are painted in the grey - not turquoise. Too late to change that now!

thanks guys -glad you like it

I have realised today that I may have painted the cockpit in the wrong colours. It would seem the Czech Hinds are painted in the grey - not turquoise. Too late to change that now!

afaik, early ones were painted in turquoise.

the current ones are dark grey/ black...

some reference:

free download form the producer :)

http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/publications/3-mi-24-hind

http://www.4pluspublications.com/Mi-24_4plus_Publication.pdf

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

thanks for those links - they're very useful. By any chance do you know the correct FS #'s for the camo? Or at least the closet to them?

Work progresses and quite nicely as well. I have the 2 halves all buttoned up and it's now time to do a lot of cleaning up.

Sorry about some of the following photos - I was having a play around with the editor function and I may have incidentally made some of them not look so good. Apologies in advance

The wheel wells are all plumbed up and ready to lightly weather

IMG_3007_zpsmvtufxkr.jpg

IMG_3011_zpshwvyqh1w.jpg

IMG_3015_zpspukracpi.jpg

IMG_3031_zpsfkahojtt.jpg

IMG_3035_zpshfryvrwa.jpg

IMG_3024_zps93kzcyhz.jpg

IMG_3025_zpsxvukctro.jpg

IMG_3023_zps1jrx2w2e.jpg

IMG_3017_zpsp9caljin.jpg

IMG_3019_zps5y9gtbrv.jpg

IMG_3026_zps2tbufmki.jpg

IMG_3027_zpspqcjloma.jpg

Well, that's it for now, but thanks for looking

MH

• Like 5

Looking great! Have you rubbed ink into the rivets to pre-shade them or is it the photo contrast? It's a great way to show off all the surface detail.

Will

• Like 1

Thanks guys

will, yeah, I tend to give all panel lines a wash before I start gluing. That way, I can see what detail I'm loosing when I have to sand the seams and makes it easier to try and reinstate the detail.

I also use it as a way of minimising any preshading I have to do. Unfortunately, I had to pre shade because my particular bird is quite dirty. I am still thinking I may do it in the original colors to show it in a newer state. The green on 0813 seem to be more a drab olive green rather than the deep green the newer ones are now. The blue/gray or light gray don't see, to have changed much.

I'm quite disappointed in the decals I bought. I was hoping for more than just one registration number, but they were the only ones who do any decals for Czech. The only pics I've found of 0813 show it to be old and grotty, not shiny and pretty like the more recent Hinds. I might have to stretch it a bit and paint it is if it were new.

• Like 1