1/48 Airfix Sea Hurricane Mk 1

AndyE1976

I'd like to submit my entry for the Hurricane group build...

Starting with the Airfix Hurricane Mk1 (New Tool), adding Eduard PE details and some Model Alliance RN decals I'm aiming to build one of the Sea Hurricane Mk1's on the decal sheet - probably P3114 in the typical coastal command colours.

This is where it all starts, the necessary box of bits:

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

The decals are still on their way from Hannants, but here is the Eduard stuff:

IMG_0102.jpg

It looks like the kit includes all the parts to build a Mk 1 or Mk1A Sea Hurricane, i.e. without the arrestor hook for CAM duties and with the arrestor hook for MAC duties. It also has the tropical filter, so that should cover all but the mk 2 schemes on the Model Alliance sheet.

While I was waiting for the post to arrive with the Eduard bits I printed off the manual to see which of the kit bits could be worked on without testing my Operation skills to put the PE parts in.

Surprisingly few it turns out! Still the cockpit framing started to come together and expedited shipping meant the PE parts were here by the weekend.

It wasn't long before Mr Dissolved Putty was out and filling in sink marks:

IMG_0101.jpg

This stuff has taken me a bit of time to get used to - it sinks a lot after application and seems to respond best to wet sanding.

With the PE parts here I had to get on with the seat:

IMG_0103.jpg

It was at this point that I found out all my superglue had dried hard! Off to the store before more progress can be made!

• Like 1