Airfix 1978 tooling Hurricane 1.

Paul J

This is what I will do. With Tech mod decals and some improvements to the kit where I feel able to.

IMG_9098_zpsql9jpapr.jpg

IMG_9108_zpstsqjoodf.jpg

A guide as to the age of the kit.

IMG_9109_zpsxtsiqint.jpg

Cutting away the flanges meant for the gear up option to help locate the u/cart.

IMG_9105_zpswo2wwlt2.jpg

Dodgy looking exhaust ports and spare Hasegawa kit parts as replacements.

IMG_9106_zpsbhev8jck.jpg

IMG_9107_zps771shc98.jpg

Work started on cutting away the kit moulded exhausts. More to come.

• Like 1

An update. Due to the use o X-Acto saw and knife cuts, the openings became a bit oversized so this pic and those below show micrstrip plastic card shims to close down the opening and the replacement parts tucked in as a trial fit.

IMG_9110_zpsp1y4xfsd.jpg

IMG_9111_zps5zhofcfi.jpg

You may have noticed a scar down one cowling side... a slip of the saw!!!

• Like 2

Some more hacking around with this build:

IMG_9125_zpslcohjy0x.jpg

Fuselage all joined up. Notice the thin white plastic micro strip glued in place to reduce the hole made by cutting away the kit moulded exhausts.

IMG_9126_zpsjzdwtsfv.jpg

IMG_9127_zpsduh7lwpc.jpg

Some work to the wings. I removed some of the side flange that touches the fuselage when fitted as I want to improve as much as I can, the wheel bay area.

IMG_9128_zpsyv8qxjqt.jpg

Some black plastic card ( over 40years old!!!) used to represent the wheel bay roof. I can see that it will be a bit 'freelance' and not 100% accurate but will improve the original kit parts.

IMG_9129_zpszjeqhven.jpg

A strip of same plastic card to represent the rear of the wheel bay( basically just to blank out the void as presented by the kit!)

IMG_9130_zpsyofl2v3s.jpg

The rather thick rear edges of the radiator. These walls will be thinned down!

IMG_9131_zpsxglrsgc6.jpg

IMG_9132_zpsw7wxbq8r.jpg

So far, all assembled except for delicate parts but surface rescribed and buffed up!

IMG_9133_zps23mgd4h1.jpg

A peak into the cockpit. I haven't done much here. Just some rod to replicate the structure and two flat strips for the heel boards to the rudder pedals ...that won't be seen! I still need to find a suitable control column and add straps to the seat and paint it. Again, I wish to emphasise that I am not going to town on this build but just make some small improvements.

IMG_9134_zpsonaonfvx.jpg

Well, thats it so far. Its more or less at a priming stage and then its on to painting the camo scheme and choosing JH-L of 317(Polish) Squadron at RAF Acklington early 1941.

Cheers for now.

• Like 1

Lots more progress:

IMG_9138_zpse3stpolz.jpg

primed..

IMG_9139_zpsez6kt6na.jpg

...and paint work started....

IMG_9140_zps4ufvdpoi.jpg

IMG_9147_zpszbbbaasd.jpg

Camo masking...

IMG_9148_zpsd2a7eu7x.jpg

IMG_9149_zpsbvi55cwb.jpg

IMG_9150_zpsewee6vnj.jpg

Masking starting to come off...

IMG_9151_zpsr0jyw03n.jpg

Soon be ready for final fittings and decals....

• Like 2

This evening I was able to apply all the decals so all that is needed now is to fit the prop on and finish any small details like the fabric covered gun ports, wheels etc.

IMG_9153_zpsspgvu8gx.jpg

The letter 'H' had a touch of damage and will need a bit of careful repair paint!

IMG_9154_zps4zaksddc.jpg

These will be the last 'build' pics so the next ones will be in the Gallery as a finished model.

As a bit of info, the upper wing roundels are Modeldecal, the fuselage ones from somewhere else/another kit, the underwing roundels likewise and fin flash from the Airfix Blenheim Mk.1. All being the right size luckily! The unit codes, serial and Polish Chessboard markings are from the Techmod set shown in post No.1 in this thread.

Thanks for following.

• Like 1

Just one shot here and more in the gallery and RFI of the finished build. Decals were fine and a coat of artisits (W&N)acrylic matt coat with a dot of white mixed in plus some subtle weathering...

IMG_4034_zpslhxsudux.jpg

Not seen here but can be seen in final picture in the gallery are the cartridge ejector slots to the wing underside. A simple solution to replicate the missing feature on the kit was to cut tiny sections of black decal stripe and apply them as best I could to the appropriate location.

• Like 2

Paul, you are another one who is modelling faster than your shadow!

I hardly notice your thread that it is already finished...

Superb treatment of the old girl! Great result deserving all our congrats!

JR

Paul, you are another one who is modelling faster than your shadow!

I hardly notice your thread that it is already finished...

Superb treatment of the old girl! Great result deserving all our congrats!

JR

:winkgrin: