Valom 1/72 Bell YFM-1 Airacuda

CedB

Thanks guys - you are a very supportive lot and I really appreciate it :)

Alex you're right about the cannons needing a slot... I'm still pondering that one, any suggestions welcome. Nano-saw? Filing thing? :hmmm:

I'm still enjoying this build even though it is a challenge - but then I saw Valom on the box when I bought it! If the Brigand and Bombay are anything to go by then the best 'fun' is yet to come... trying to get the parts together! I'm also aware that the NMF will NOT hide any bodges - rats - so careful filling and probably a primer is in my future, one day soon.

More later!

• Like 3

Is this really an audition for the Krypton Factor? If so, you're definitely a shoo in for a new series.

I see much MicroMesh in your near future.

Battle on dear boy, battle on, I'm behind you all the way. (150 miles across the Irish Sea, but hey, it's the thought that counts!)

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks guys - you are a very supportive lot and I really appreciate it :)

Alex you're right about the cannons needing a slot... I'm still pondering that one, any suggestions welcome. Nano-saw? Filing thing? :hmmm:

I'm still enjoying this build even though it is a challenge - but then I saw Valom on the box when I bought it! If the Brigand and Bombay are anything to go by then the best 'fun' is yet to come... trying to get the parts together! I'm also aware that the NMF will NOT hide any bodges - rats - so careful filling and probably a primer is in my future, one day soon.

More later!

This build will be a piece of cake for you!

Martin (currently orbiting another planet)

• Like 1

Is this really an audition for the Krypton Factor? If so, you're definitely a shoo in for a new series.

I see much MicroMesh in your near future.

Battle on dear boy, battle on, I'm behind you all the way. (150 miles across the Irish Sea, but hey, it's the thought that counts!)

Sean

Thanks Sean - it may indeed be an audition - see below :)

Yes, confound the blighter, you know that you've done it before!

Thanks Alex :)

This build will be a piece of cake for you!

Martin (currently orbiting another planet)

Thanks Martin (and I hope you re-enter safely!) :)

So, no progress photos posted recently as I've been fiddling with the internals, assembling the parts of the nacelle puzzle and pondering solution(s). Here's the state of play so far.

24642669903_1a602cbc4f_z.jpg

Puzzle by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Slot required for cannons. Masking required on main nacelle windows. Decision required on fit (or not) of possibly over-sized belts.

I've partly cleaned the nacelle halves. This kit seems to have worn molds and there's weird bobbly plastic down the joins. If I join them as they are then much filling will be required. I'll take some pictures and clean up later.

It looks like the nacelles have an angled back so I'll need to assemble the wings to test that.

It certainly looks like the wheel wells have angled tops so I'll need to assemble the wings to test that.

Better assemble the wings then.

• Like 8

Thanks Stew, made me laugh :D

I've done enough on the internal panels now:

25152338982_c70d823c9b.jpg

Panels by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Sorry about the focus - the camera's probably reminding me I need to glue on the tiny resin control wheels (gulp).

Here's an attempt to photograph the bobbly edges on the nacelles and wings:

25152414862_015c2290eb.jpg

Not a great shot but you can see the 'ripple effect' at the prop end and the 'dent' to the right of the '20' that I think is the actual line that needs to be followed (gulp).

I've dry fitted the wings and nacelle parts to get some assessment of the warpage / fit / gaps and to make sure I've got the nacelles on the right sides:

25270954265_51fd800d13_n.jpg 24903279569_93a07d4229_n.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

You can probably see the gappage and general wobbliness here (gulp).

I need to mask the nacelle clear parts next to avoid starting assembly protect them during handling (which could get quite rough and involve some Anglo-Saxon).

As usual with short run kits (he said after minor experience) it's best to do several dry fits to make sure the top bottom left bit lines up with the middle angled centre wobble and that the right angle centre flange doesn't push out the edges. Easy.

Then I need to start glueing things together. Gulp.

• Like 8

Point of a fine rat-tailed (round) file for the slots, I would think. Also, how about some nice Milliput for those ghastly nacelles?

The side panels came up fantastically well with your painting, especially given that the supplied, um, "detail", was rather soft to start with. Excellent work :).

Cheers,

Alex, who is finding rather harder to type than usual...

• Like 1

Cripes, those seatbelts are enormous, who were the gunners, Cyril Smith and Bernard Manning?*

I love a good 1970s political reference, but if there are any undersized pilot figures about, they should steer clear of the Smith nacelle.

• Like 3

Thanks Alex :) Now, where's my fine rat-tailed (round) file (must get more tools!) :)

Thanks Simon - I already have wobbly edges... oh right, the kit! :)

Hi PC :) Smith nacelle, fnaar fnaar!

Here's the problem with the cannons:

24908558899_78e8c44939_z.jpg

Weird shape. I might just drill a bigger hole. More pondering required. That shot was taken with flash because I left it on after the hunt. What hunt? Well, I had cleaned the undercarriage and was doing some masking when I noticed this:

24979925100_3ed2d83f9d.jpg

I'm sure there were two legs, it's not a Pirate plane me 'earties! Take on the carpet monster under the bench. Can you see it?:

24645101724_803932b845_n.jpg 25250207736_1208cb063d_n.jpg

RIGHT under the desk - it must have crawled there.

I'm currently juggling with the nacelle parts. No, that's not a euphemism. There are no guide marks for the floors, the bulkheads don't fit and the whole thing is wobbly. There's a surprise. Dry fit the parts, insert the floor, PING. Dry fit the parts, fit the bulkhead, PING.

Nightmare.

• Like 8

Is it bad that I actually lol'd really hard when I saw the pic of where the leg ended up.

I think Valom have not just unleashed their evil world dominating plan with these kits but have also mastered telekinesis. What other explanation is there for the wondering parts.

I would tape the parts to your workbench to stop future escapades.

Other than that things are progressing. In a general forward direction too. Always a bonus that. Keep plugging away :)

Ashley

• Like 1

Thanks Ashley - telekinesis indeed! :D

Speaking of tape, the masking is now finished:

24647490034_1af7474553_z.jpg

On one hand I'm pleased it's finished but on the other hand it means I have to start (gulp) assembling things... no wait, the cannon holes!

24651039013_4253a6f8e0_z.jpg

PC and other dentist-nervous readers STOP reading now. The router-like dental burr soon sorted them out. I pushed the cannon in and marked the overlap with a Sharpie and then neeeeeoooowwwwww and, scarily fast, the slots were made.

I'm out with the boys tonight so that's probably it for today. Looking forward to a peaceful Saturday morning assembling... not.

• Like 7

Great progress Ced, and entertaining! Perked my day up, had to have one of those long winded conversations with one of my mangers, never like them but it's for there own good and all that. However the words 'your just crap, I would like you to stop.... Or leave!' probably would have hit home better! But my hr tell me that is not appropriate..... Evidently they have not met the individual.....

Have a good boys night and see you bright and early for the assembly stage!

Rob

• Like 1

Beware the Fearsome Carpet Monster dragging things into its dark, dank lair. Watch out for your feet! I can see the CM's beady little eyes gleaming out from under yer desk ;).

You have a steadier hand than I have - well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: I shudder to think what I would have done to that clear part with such a fearsome tool...

• Like 2

Great progress Ced, and entertaining! Perked my day up, had to have one of those long winded conversations with one of my mangers, never like them but it's for there own good and all that. However the words 'your just crap, I would like you to stop.... Or leave!' probably would have hit home better! But my hr tell me that is not appropriate..... Evidently they have not met the individual.....

Have a good boys night and see you bright and early for the assembly stage!

Rob

Managers eh? Cuh! I had a good night thanks, put the world to rights again. Strangely I had a 'bit of a head' this morning... I wonder what causes it? :)

I can't believe you found that landing gear! That's actually good omen I think, Ced. Your Valom conquering powers are only getting stronger.

Thanks Cookie - I got lucky! I'm not sure I'll need the legs though... :hmmm:

Beware the Fearsome Carpet Monster dragging things into its dark, dank lair. Watch out for your feet! I can see the CM's beady little eyes gleaming out from under yer desk ;).

You have a steadier hand than I have - well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: I shudder to think what I would have done to that clear part with such a fearsome tool...

Thanks Alex - my hand is only steady sometimes so I have to choose my moments :)

While my hand was steady I drilled out the cannons using Stew's method :

25253810926_b1f5818431.jpg

Then I prepared my tools for the assembly:

24679445233_ec836d17a9.jpg

Just kidding (although perhaps I shouldn't speak too soon?). I noticed that there's a 'slot' in the bottom of the resin I/P so I assume it's supposed to sit over the floor. After lots of fiddling I stuck it on:

25213730101_4a5ab81695_n.jpg 24939211999_b0c16ef40f_n.jpg

It's nowhere near my reference shot which shows the panel right up against the pedals but there's no way the parts would fit into the fuselage that way. I also fear that the little levers will bash on the seat and may have to be bent /removed so I'm ignoring that panel for the moment... plenty more problems to worry about. there's also a few other bits to put together before I can get to close up, like the waist guns (partly painted):

25307178445_46916dec0b.jpg

and the turret (which just seems to jam in to the fuselage):

24681161443_6dfce3edc8.jpg

I girded my loins and dry fitted the cockpit, having glued the rear support in place to give me a reference point - unusually there are location marks for this and the front one:

25308935905_f5868bea9e.jpg

which is too big:

24678332164_81d9f35f78.jpg

so got sanded to death and glued to the floor:

25215984071_a86733f46a.jpg

Try this by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

All this has left me with lots of little bits drying and an unusually (for me) messy bench:

24682356083_6dba67e5fb_z.jpg

Messy! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Note that the side windows have been fitted as they needed some encouragement... This has strengthened my view that I'll apply the AK True Metal finish by hand rather than trying the AB - I can avoid masking this way too.

You can see the fuselage half is held at (hopefully) an angle where the floor can be fitted. We shall see, probably tomorrow, how the side panels go in.

I think I'll call it a (nerve wracking) day now and have a relaxing evening. There will be wine!

• Like 7

A nice bit of progress mate, no stopping you now.

24679445233_ec836d17a9.jpg

Where's the six inch nails? I'm sure that's how it's held together....... :hmmm:

Fingers crossed for the rest of the build,

Sean

• Like 1

I'll apply the AK True Metal finish by hand rather than trying the AB

Have you ever used this stuff for a whole airframe before? A couple of things to be aware of. Most annoying is the fact it keeps on giving. I had to honestly use about 6 layers of aqua gloss to finally seal it. If any part is in contact with say your bench while you buff the upper surfaces it will wear through to the plastic. Maybe because I am a naff brush painter but I couldn't get away from the brush strokes showing through. Also you cant mask it. I explain everything in my Canberra RFI.

• Like 2

A nice bit of progress mate, no stopping you now.

[snip]

Where's the six inch nails? I'm sure that's how it's held together....... :hmmm:

Fingers crossed for the rest of the build,

Sean

Thanks Sean :) I'm saving the nails for the wings...

CedB,

EXEMPLARY workmanship and quite methodical.

I admire your tenacity and fortitude on continuing to build and enjoy this modeling lark. :clap2:

AWESOME work so far.. Kept it coming.

:worthy:

Thanks Houston, very kind :)

Have you ever used this stuff for a whole airframe before? A couple of things to be aware of. Most annoying is the fact it keeps on giving. I had to honestly use about 6 layers of aqua gloss to finally seal it. If any part is in contact with say your bench while you buff the upper surfaces it will wear through to the plastic. Maybe because I am a naff brush painter but I couldn't get away from the brush strokes showing through. Also you cant mask it. I explain everything in my Canberra RFI.

Thanks Mark :) I'm using the waxy AK True Metal (in tubes) rather then the (newer) paint and I've used it before on large areas, although not on the whole airframe. You're right that it does rub before it 'cures' and I find you need to 'work it about' to get a thin coat, but I like it. Your Canberra looks really nice and I hope I can get a similar finish on this one.

Hmm, I must get a hammer, that's what's been missing. Excellent work Ced.

I bet the True Metal will really like Stynylrez, it's very smooth, but matt enough to give it something to stick to.

Thanks Cookie :) Hammers are useful... as long as there stored somewhere safe when the build gets challenging - too tempting to use them to teach the thing a lesson!

I'm not intending to prime this one as I'd have to mask up bits and I'm too lazy... the True Metal seems to like bare plastic (I think) so we'll see how it goes.

Nigel's used bare metal foil bits on his Gazelle so I think I might try that for the nose window frame :hmmm:

More tomorrow.

• Like 3