Valom 1/72 Bell YFM-1 Airacuda

CedB

Thanks Phil - I'll come back here and post a link once the WiP is up :)

Thanks Rob :) MTO? Hmmm. African camo (nice) and/or a Malta saviour... right up your street? I'll be building the Vb straight OOB for a rest.

Thanks Matt. I will do the Wellesley when my nerves recover! :)

Very much up my street Ced.... Probably why subjects for it currently account for half my stash😳

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel, very kind. And thanks for not mentioning the sink mark on the spinner, so obvious on the RFI shots but hidden during assembly and now it's on the ceiling; I was looking through the tears :weep:

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

Congrats on another excellent builld! Only managed to follow from a distance but was very impressed with the determination you had in overtaking all the hurdles posed by the model. You even managed to make me want to build one :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Well done Ced, another Valom nightmare draws to a close with a happy ending!

My Buckingham and Buckmaster are moving forward slowly, currently correcting/bodging air intakes in the wings because the kit ones are the Brigand re-used and have incorrect vents. Should be covering the filler in primer shortly!

Thanks Rémi :)

Hi BB :) Where are the WiPs, that's what I want to know... I'd love to see some photos as both are on my list :)

Just spent the last few days reading through the thread from start to now after seeing your RFI post Ced - marvellous stuff, and a brilliant result from an er, challenging looking, kit!

Off to have a look at your Spitfire now!

ATB

Keith

• Like 1

I'd love to get my hands on those ample nacelles, if you'll pardon the engineering parlance....

Well done though, cow of a kit that now looks something approaching a well cooked steak*. Glad you managed to finish her off!

*Other cuts of meat are available.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

... and to welcome Martin too :)

Have I mentioned I love Valom kits in a sort of machoistic way? Here's an example that may help you understand. Step 1:

24526723054_690bcb83f4_z.jpg

Step 1 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

"Gather these parts and move them in the direction of the arrows". :hmmm:

The PE and film parts:

25039059482_f2f2fe660b_z.jpg

Refer to my 'Sten's guide to film and IP parts'. Step 1 of that is to paint the BACK of the film white, so I need to identify the back. Is there some printing on the film? No. So, line it up behind the PE:

25157331305_41b29215a7_z.jpg

Now, at my age I'm keen to delay dementia so I do Sudoku every day, the 'difficult' ones. But even they don't compare to this... Have a look at the film and answer these questions:

• is the film the right way around? - I need to paint the back remember
  • the film for PE part 1 obviously has a dial at the top - do you think the gaps between the panels on the PE and the film are the same?
  • is the film the right way up for PE part 1?
  • is the film the right way up for PE part 10?
Answers are yes, no, yes and no. So the film for part 10 is printed upside down (or is it back to front?) See what I mean? I love these kits! It's just the instructions...

Anyway, time to confidently apply white paint to the back and then you get this:

25131052946_e9e84ffbb7_z.jpg

White applied by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Pretty. Enough for tonight, I don't want to push my luck.

Paint the back white. Paint...the....back.....white...... Now I get it, not glue it to plasticard like I did and smear the print all over the place with glue. I've banked that one. Thanks Ced. :D

• Like 1

You're welcome John. It's actually attributed to Sten during my Brigand build here. Using Sten's technique (glueing with gloss varnish) you also get shiny dials!

• Like 1