Valom 1/72 Bell YFM-1 Airacuda

CedB

Good idea, thanks Benedikt :)

Check stash for suitable scratch material. Don't have any. Oh well, use some sprue then Willard*... dry fitted with very thin tak:

25052567523_8da40009d1.jpg 25048805124_45a58dff96.jpg

Check the profile:

25048839664_f1a2181e33.jpg

I'll 'correct' the oversize before fitting. Glued in the sprue with CA gel. Drying. Done.

* Non Bob Newhart fans can listen to this. I just listened to the whole thing again :rofl:

• Like 5

This is like a Cecil B De Mille epic.

CedB De Mille surely! :coolio:

I'm really glad you've stuck at this C, it shows perseverance, talent, and sheer bloody mindedness, will win in the end.

Not long now before a swan emerges from an ugly duckling,

Sean

• Like 3

Fine work taming this vicious brute Ced...nearly there!

I can't help thinking what it must have handled like....I hope those cannons fired together, not independently...the yaw in that case must have made this thing almost unflyable, and definitely impossible to aim the cannons!

Ian

• Like 2

Holy Moses ced.....

The seam turned out a hell of a lot better than I expected with the true metal on I would take that as a win! However now you appear to have one fire under control you have another just starting.... Does this kit come with a certificate once completed? You not you should get your money back

(From valom not T7 models of course)

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

The filling and scribing of the outlines per others' suggestions would the seem to be the best way out of this execrable and noisome trap.

The TM results make me feel slightly more kindly to the MIG (non-armour) melange - but only a bit!

Looking good despite the many pitfall traps. I am sure that it will end up looking fantastic!

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

(That last photo was number 200 by the way. Now on to page three of the Flickr album. Oh good grief...)

Great work Ced, fighting the damn plane the whole way.

You doing a fine job sir . :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thanks Simon :)

CedB De Mille surely! :coolio:

I'm really glad you've stuck at this C, it shows perseverance, talent, and sheer bloody mindedness, will win in the end.

Not long now before a swan emerges from an ugly duckling,

Sean

Thanks Sean, very kind. Nearly there (he said again) :)

Yes, indeed! I can almost hear Charlton Heston (as Moses) declaiming, "Behold His mighty hand!" as the seams are filled.

Thanks Michael :) I could do with all the help I can get to be honest...

Fine work taming this vicious brute Ced...nearly there!

I can't help thinking what it must have handled like....I hope those cannons fired together, not independently...the yaw in that case must have made this thing almost unflyable, and definitely impossible to aim the cannons!

Ian

Thanks Ian :) I read somewhere that the cannons were aimed by 'the gunner' and the guys in the nacelles were just there to load the shells... and get choked by the smoke when the cannons fired. I assume they fired together, but the asymmetric flying (my favourite, not) caused by a slow re-loader must have been, er, fun?

After seeing you beat this into submission, I think I'll have a go at the Brengun Typhoon that's been scaring me.

Go on Simon, you know you want to. Does your canopy look OK?

Holy Moses ced.....

The seam turned out a hell of a lot better than I expected with the true metal on I would take that as a win! However now you appear to have one fire under control you have another just starting.... Does this kit come with a certificate once completed? You not you should get your money back

(From valom not T7 models of course)

Rob

Thanks Rob :) Perhaps a medal (doing my Muttley snigger)

The filling and scribing of the outlines per others' suggestions would the seem to be the best way out of this execrable and noisome trap.

The TM results make me feel slightly more kindly to the MIG (non-armour) melange - but only a bit!

Looking good despite the many pitfall traps. I am sure that it will end up looking fantastic!

Cheers,
Alex.

Thanks Alex, very kind :)

As per Ascoteer's forecast, more souping up (hopefully the last):

25053434183_bfe1163aca_z.jpg

More soup! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The bits of resin that are supposed to be gear doors have been sanded and bedded down on a blob of Humbrol filler:

25057532273_11f309b4bc_z.jpg

I'll fill those gaps tomorrow.

• Like 4

After watching this build anyone who buys this kit and starts to build it would have to be a kangaroo short in the top paddock.

This thing is an epic build CedB, you are doing a fantastic job on it. I have read every post and it is good to watch a master craftsman beat this bugger into shape. I am just wondering if my mental instability will allow me to build one? mmmmm

• Like 3

What amazes me is not only that you are clubbing this kit into submission but that you are doing it so quickly!

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel :) As it turned out the underside of the parts wasn't up to the job so it was plan B.

Thanks Casey - "master craftsman" is very kind but too high an accolade for me IMHO; I just bash the things into submission (see hammer shot).

"I am just wondering if my mental instability will allow me to build one?" - it's a pre-requisite :D

Thanks Martin :) I need to be quick or my patience runs out... and the quickness of the hand (and sneaky camera angles) deceives the eye!

So, Humbrol filler mashed crafted into the gaps:

25693776385_51f14bc2c5_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I like the Humbrol filler; as you're working it it starts to go off and you can mold it and then scrape away the excess (just don't try to use the bits that have hardened - I wipe them off my spatula thing onto a paper towel). Is Milliput like this? Never used it and I should probably stick to what I know!

While I had the tube in my hand a put a dollop onto the bottom of the wheels and nestled them into place.

25575109802_f45d61f6be_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I don't think they'll get in the way of my needle sanders and it's another part out of the way! Just the lights now...

• Like 6

Go on Simon, you know you want to. Does your canopy look OK?

I would like to but have a lot of other stuff to do first. I've no idea if the canopy's okay, I hope so because the spare is now with PC.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - in your own time! :)

Hi Rob :) Ooo, like plasticine? I might get some of that to try...

I had an odd hour this afternoon so I spent it fitting the landing lights. What a pain. Saw, cut, fit, cut, fit etc etc. Eventually they went in, although they don't really have a profile so the fit was, er, not the best.

After a lie down I realised I'd fitted all the bits and could enjoy doing a bit of NMF. Before I knew it I'd covered it all so she's drying now:

25703249665_4b78b7968e_z.jpg

A bit of touching up then it'll be some buffing and on with the transfers. Night off tonight methinks.

• Like 10

Holy crap, it looks like an airplane now! Well done, Ced, you've fought this almost all the way to a very successful conclusion. A lesser man would have given up, or never started.

• Like 3

Thanks Simon - in your own time! :)

Thank you, I will :D

Hi Rob :) Ooo, like plasticine? I might get some of that to try...

It's good stuff. Easy to mix (just use equal sized bits of the two parts and knead like plasticine until it's one colour, unless you get the 'fine' one where both parts are the same colour), and easy to use (it can be moulded using water.

25703249665_4b78b7968e_z.jpg

A bit of touching up then it'll be some buffing and on with the transfers. Night off tonight methinks.

That's looking really good.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 2

Thanks chaps, very kind :)

Thanks Simon for the tip on Lilliput :)

Quick post after I touched up the bottom (fnaar fnaar):

25612913101_f0138b30b1_z.jpg

The wheel doors don't look too bad if you squint:

25081369523_197d2345b1_z.jpg

[/url] by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Mrs B is out tomorrow so I should be able to get this one done, fingers crossed.

• Like 8