Valom 1/72 Bell YFM-1 Airacuda

CedB

:rofl: 'Pants' is not a word I'd ever apply to you Simon! :)

I've been called far worse and, to be fair, you've never met me.

Anyway, god luck with getting those wings together. I forsee that you're future involves much use of clamps.

• Like 1

Ok so this has peaked my interest. A thoroughly what the heck plane and the ensuing building is hilarious if you subscribe to a sadistic humor, as I seem to have lol.

I reckon the makers must be the same. I bet they're sitting there now reading this very build laughing maniacally from inside their hollowed out volcano lair.

Ashley

Hi Ashley and welcome! Now you have me imagining the Czechs seeding the modelling world with impossible kits...

It also reminded me of one of my favourite 'trick the foreigners' videos. Love it :rofl:

A spot of luncheon does well for the little grey cells that abode in one`s head...

Locating pins, more like scaffold poles mate..

You have got your work cut out there Ced.

Still, the experiment continues, does resin bend???

Simon.

Does it bend? We shall see! :shutup:

Phew! It looked really nice in the box too.

You certainly like a challenge.

John

It does look nice in the box - best place for it! :)

Is it too late to warm it in a mug of boiling water then bending? That's what I've always done in the past.

Just to bring the level back to normal for a Ced thread...

Too late Charlie but I'll remember next time (if there is one!) Great link, thanks!

I will warn you that I now have a list of Gibbs' rules from NCIS (one of my favourite 'brain off' programmes) so watch out for them!

Fantastic looking plane Ced, I think I want to build one!

Cheers

Viv

Thanks Viv. I could warn you off but keep watching and you can decide whether the result is worth the pain :)

The resin I have run into over the years tends to be rather, er, brittle and not bendy :boom:

It can be adjusted some under the influence of a hot bath (the resin part, not you.)

Thanks Julian and HP - I thought it was going to be 'crocodilian' - snappy! (I looked up the latin for 'like a crocodile' before I realised that crocodile was probably Latin anyway?)

• Like 2

I've been called far worse and, to be fair, you've never met me.

Anyway, god luck with getting those wings together. I forsee that you're future involves much use of clamps.

Thanks Simon, I'm sure your 'real world persona' matches that of your charming online one. Unless... you're not a sporty 22 year old blonde aerobics teacher 'grooming' us modellers are you? If so, PM me.

Not much done as it's 'Star Wars' with the neighbours night (again) and I want to be in a good mood :)

I have done some (mostly) harmless things, applying AK True Metal aluminium to appropriate parts so I can position the control column as a reference for the I/P. Reference shots show the column really close to the panel. Presumably if you wanted to go down quickly you just chopped the power.

24921245900_2dd5aff9f4_n.jpg 25097813942_0548b27bc2_n.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Cookie suggested leaving out the guns to avoid the window issues (above) and I must say that the guns don't have the best detail I've seen, but look at the nacelle cannons:

24848260099_59bfdb8bf8_z.jpg

Big or what!! And they say size isn't important...

That's it for today.

• Like 11

Thanks Simon, I'm sure your 'real world persona' matches that of your charming online one. Unless... you're not a sporty 22 year old blonde aerobics teacher 'grooming' us modellers are you? If so, PM me.

If your personal fantasy is a sporty 22 year old blonde aerobics teacher called Simon that's no business of mine Ced. If, however, Simon has a similarly talented sister I'll join that queue instead :bouncy:

As for the Airacuda; we can't miss out on that gun show! A little extra detail on the breach then some alloy or brass tube for barrels and you'll be good to go there I think.

• Like 5

I had some brilliant comments about those "guns", but I don't want to get banned!!

It seems you're work is cut out for you C, but I like to think you're doing this

so I don't have to.

This is shaping up to be thread/wip of the year.... :thumbsup:

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Ashley and welcome! Now you have me imagining the Czechs seeding the modelling world with impossible kits...

It also reminded me of one of my favourite 'trick the foreigners' videos. Love it :rofl:

Yes that's it. I can just see them now. All gathered around an ancient omega pc laughing and pointing, throwing popcorn at the monitor whilst the rain and lightning rages on outside. The mechanical groaning of moulds clamping and releasing, churning out the fresh Virgin kits with plastic melted via the heat of the lava below the basement level of their volcano lair.

Ashley

• Like 2

Top work Ced; looks like you're wrestling it into submission. Almost makes a modeller ashamed to be building a Tamiya kit!

I too vote for the inclusion of guns (whaddya mean "what vote?")

J.

• Like 1

I had some brilliant comments about those "guns", but I don't want to get banned!!

It seems you're work is cut out for you C, but I like to think you're doing this

so I don't have to.

Sean

Have you seen half the stuff we get up to in Ced's threads?!

Incidently, re:the underwhelming guns...https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?manufacturer_id=362409/gunThese any good?

You can't really leave off the guns, though, can you? What's life without a little pew-pew?

True. Guns will be fitted, pew-pew! :)

If your personal fantasy is a sporty 22 year old blonde aerobics teacher called Simon that's no business of mine Ced. If, however, Simon has a similarly talented sister I'll join that queue instead :bouncy:

As for the Airacuda; we can't miss out on that gun show! A little extra detail on the breach then some alloy or brass tube for barrels and you'll be good to go there I think.

OK, OK, I should have been clearer... a sporty 22 year old blonde FEMALE aerobics teacher. Apologies to any male aerobics teachers that may have been excited at the (non) prospects :)

so I don't have to.

Sean

Steady Sean , steady :) Thanks for the kind comments about the thread and I will try to live up to the, gulp, high expectations. It is only February...

Yes that's it. I can just see them now. All gathered around an ancient omega pc laughing and pointing, throwing popcorn at the monitor whilst the rain and lightning rages on outside. The mechanical groaning of moulds clamping and releasing, churning out the fresh Virgin kits with plastic melted via the heat of the lava below the basement level of their volcano lair.

Ashley

What an imagination! :D

Top work Ced; looks like you're wrestling it into submission. Almost makes a modeller ashamed to be building a Tamiya kit!

I too vote for the inclusion of guns (whaddya mean "what vote?")

J.

OK, guns will be fitted. I've done a little research and the M4 37mm cannon was very plain. So plain in fact that there only seems to be one photo on the net and one drawing, repeated on all the sites I found. Easy then.

Have you seen half the stuff we get up to in Ced's threads?!

Incidently, re:the underwhelming guns...https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?manufacturer_id=362409/gunThese any good?

Quite right Charlie :)

Ooo, those Mini World guns look really nice - luckily for me there's no M4 that I could find (at Hannants or on the 'net) except an over-the-top White Ensign stuff. I'll stick to the kit parts I think and make sure the pictures are out of focus :)

• Like 5

Ced,

I found lots of info on the M4 37mm cannon including this photo of a mount from an Airacuda.

http://www.geocitiessites.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/xfm1-b.jpg

And some stuff here.

http://p63kingcobra.com/m4_37mm_auto_cannon.html

It was also used by the P*39/P-63 and mounted on later war PT boats.

• Like 1

Some Albion Alloys slide fit brass tubing would improve the gun barrels no end.

Martin

Thanks Martin :) I've had a look in the stash and I don't have anything big enough... story of my life. I think I'll press on and try to do something like Phil's photos below.

Ced,

I found lots of info on the M4 37mm cannon including this photo of a mount from an Airacuda.

http://www.geocitiessites.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/xfm1-b.jpg

And some stuff here.

http://p63kingcobra.com/m4_37mm_auto_cannon.html

It was also used by the P*39/P-63 and mounted on later war PT boats.

Thanks Phil :) Great link and nice photo. That got me looking at the parts and instructions again and I guess it explains the, um, drill and file (??) at the bottom left of the instructions:

25139523001_754dc9a104_z.jpg

Are they suggesting I remove the bottom of the parts I've already part painted? :hmmm: more investigation needed - I'll report later.

I an confused yet intrigued by this thread.... Is Simon a sporty 22 year old blonde? And how will all the parts that don't fit, fit!!

Rob

Hi Rob :) I don't think Simon is a 22 year old blonde but, as he says, I've never actually met him... As to the parts fitting, well, read on!

First job today was to get rid of those lumps. They easily succumbed to my #9 blade and one of my (look away PC) dental burrs:

24935795350_2bece00ae5_n.jpg 24604669143_8330862778_n.jpg

The scalpel blades are really good and this one especially good for jobs where you need a flat surface; I hate to think what they're really used for. Note that it won't retract into the Retractaway handle (doh!) - I have a special place to store this to protect my fingers.

I also took the lumps out of the wings until they fitted (sort of). These look like locating pins:

24935882960_a6c0b9e0d7.jpg

They're not. Anyway, the whole point of this stage was to try the cockpit floor and see if the I/P was going to snap fit and if I needed any sanding before assembling all the tiny bits and pieces. Using some BlueTak I positioned the floor in one side and then dry fitted the other:

24604817533_261808180e_n.jpg 25113381352_0d1d52ba56.jpg

Mind the gap by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I know it looks like a shadow, but it's not. Plenty of room there for the I/P then. And some sandwiches for the pilot (no I'm not going to scratch build those).

Happy that I won't be needing to sand the floor (ha ha ha) I started fitting the fiddly bits with (guess) Gator's Grip:

24601430254_51bc27efcc.jpg

Pedals by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I also got hold of the nacelle nose parts to see what needed to be done to fit the cannons:

25114416922_74b09618dd.jpg

Gaaaahh by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Can you see why I specified 'BlueTak' above? The white stuff I'd bought is cheaper, true, but also downright useless. It's moulded itself into the part in a gooey mass that I had to scrape out and clean with white spirit. Guess where the packet is now? In the bin.

So, in between adding bits to the cockpit I've started looking at the wing and nacelles assembly. More later.

• Like 8

Nice work, Ced.

For the record, I'd like to point out that I'm not a blonde 22 year-old aerobics teacher. If I was, I imagine I'd be having a lot more fun.

Thanks Simon :) Not a blonde? I didn't think so...

White Tac,I have found that happens sometimes Ced, so I now use some masking tape first then a blob of Blu-Tack.

Easier to clean off. :coolio:

Still, good progress being made sir. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Good tip.

Drilled the holes for the cannons, cleaned them up (bottom one before, top after) and fitted the nacelle seats ready for painting and belts:

25116723322_32d20a49e3_n.jpg 25237288955_6481a59ba1_n.jpg

Cannon holes by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I think the holes need to be slots (will ponder). I'm not sure whether the instructions are right in saying that one needs to be upside down so I'll ignore them.

Ashley's image of the kit builders came back to me when trying to fit the co-pilot's pedals:

25235041515_baf0271516_n.jpg 24608518593_1e03edc453_n.jpg

Fiddly by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I had a weird feeling they had a webcam on me "Hey Slavek, come and see what ze mad Engleesh is up to. He's trying to fit zose impossible pedals". Maniacal laughter.

I started with Gator's Grip but the parts left falling over (perhaps I should have tried thin) so I resorted to CA. Yes, the parts did stick to the tweezers.

• Like 10

Coming alng nicely, microscopic PE parts and their vicissitudes notwithstanding. On another note, that gif of the bouncing lady always worries me: she looks as though she is about to do herself an Awful Injury requiring a lot of painful surgery. Or is it just me?

My guess about the guns is that they will need a small slot to the side - but it looks rather tricky to me.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1