Boeing P-26A Peashooter (Revell 1/72)

Mario

Hello modellers,
Today I would like to present something unusual for me - the Revell Boeing P-26A Peashooter in 1/72. I fact it was my friend and fellow Britmodeller Luis Alfonso who talked me into this project as he recommended the kit and told me that his country operated the Peashooter until 1956. First intended to do a Guatemalan plane, but had some problems with my printer and decided to use the original decals.
The model was built completely out of the box with some scratchbuilt modifications. I rescribed the whole model and added gun barrels and exhaust pipes made from hypodermic needles. Heating them with a lighter created a nice heat effect that made further painting unnecessary.
Navigation lights were replaced by clear styrene that was inserted into previously drilled holes through the wings. In the cockpit, only an instrument panel was added. The pilot provided by the kit is a good filler there.
Paints were self-mixed from different Humbrol and Revell enamels. After a wash, all was sealed with Emsal. Decals needed some softener, but finally worked well.
Rigging the Peashooter was the most complicated task. I used different kinds of electric wires and stretched sprue for that. The mast for the aerial had to be replaced by a needle as the styrene is very soft and would have been bent by the tension.
Hope you like the tiny Boeing
Mario

ooKBGIr.jpgGENEYkx.jpgkLyydFG.jpgWDHsbwJ.jpg6tYwoT9.jpgsfOQBCU.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 27

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Congratulations for this new addition to the little museum you have at home!!!

The last time I have done one in Guatemalan Air Force markings was in 1983 when Revell USA launched their other side brand named ADVENT and I have bought three or four of this little kits when read in the instructive leaflet that Guatemala was one of the users from the last batch of flying units in USAAF service transfered here from the Panama Canal Zone Bases.

Without a doubt I have seen you are transforming this wonderful but now a little neglected little gem in a true show stopper with the little add-ons you have done here!!!

I was telling you about this little and cheaper Revell Germany reedition of this classic little model but you got the genius you have inside to make a true gem, with a "Classic Old School Techniques" from the "Pre Etched parts+Resin+Shake and Bake Era" that really produced a true miracle in the kit that have nothing to envy to any other Peashooter kits from today.

The job you have done deserves next time a WIP to show today modelers how to improve older kits to a wqonderful state and without investing so expensive sums of money using cheaper materials and the imaginative and creative feelings every modeler have inside!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Thank you Russ, Joachim, Gremlin56, Nomore Shelfspace and Nephew Luis Alfonso for the comments!

To Nephew Luis Alfonso:

Took a lot of WIP pics during the build as you know. But as I have learned from a certain person over the pond to start more than one project at the same time, a WIP thread could last a long time and be boring perhaps.

Despite of it´s age, the fit of parts was kit´s parts was nice and nearly no filler needed. I think it´s easy to improve the model and it´s a good exercise to test rigging skills before you start to build biplanes. Thank you for recommending it!

BTW: Never heard of ADVENT brand (or is it a joke? :))

• Like 1

Nice Peashooter, I think I made this kit first in the mid'60's.

Mario, Revell did introduce an Advent brand in the US I believe as a budget brand.

Thank you John for the nice comment. Very much appreciated!

There is 1982 written on one of the wing parts, but I knew the kit was older. Never heard of Advent brand - only knew about a cooperation with Monogram.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Thank you friends Jerzy and Bernd! In all these years of modelling, never did a model that needed rigging. Thought it was about time to try it!

Feel encouraged now to build the Airfix Duck that I have in the stash, too.

Have a nice evening

Mario

• Like 2

Hi Mario, i am really looking forward to your Duck. Your P-26 looks fantastic, i build that kit years back, most of my rigging ( stretched sprues ) is gone for good. Its old but a little gem in the right hands !

Have a nice evening as well

Bernd

• Like 2

Hi Bernd!

Thanks again for the compliments. Have tested rigging on an old model before I started the Peashooter. Stretched sprue was also my first idea, but had to realize that it wasn´t stable enough.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Hi Mario,

Very nice Peashooter! I like this little gem of a kit, have a few in my stash as well as on the shelf.

Can you explain how you made the stabilizing rods that go between the wires? That's a detail I've tried and failed many times, but yours are perfect.

Tim

• Like 1

A fine job on this fascinating and colorful Boeing fighter, Mario ! It definitely looks the part of this pioneering American pursuit plane and it's amazing to think a few flew in defense of U.S. bases in the Philippines at the start of WWII.

Mike

Thank you for the comment, Mike. Found it also amazing that it could carry external ordnance with all that rigging.

Hi Mario,

Very nice Peashooter! I like this little gem of a kit, have a few in my stash as well as on the shelf.

Can you explain how you made the stabilizing rods that go between the wires? That's a detail I've tried and failed many times, but yours are perfect.

Tim

Thank you very much, Tim.

The stabilizing rods between the wire are made from stretched sprue. First I intended to make them also from metal, but plastic was the better solution as it was lighter and more easy to glue. The parts that reach from the wings to the first wires were made from silver rod. Drilled additional holes into the wings for these parts.

BTW: The rigging on top of the model isn´t fixed with glue to the fuselage. Have added some small drops of epoxy glue (Stabilit Express) to the ends of the wires that work as hooks. The advantage is that there is no CA-glue needed on top of the model and you can easily remove a wire if you are not happy with the result without closing the small holes with glue:

IMG_0398_zpscunjkcqc.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the comment, Mike. Found it also amazing that it could carry external ordnance with all that rigging.

Thank you very much, Tim.

The stabilizing rods between the wire are made from stretched sprue. First I intended to make them also from metal, but plastic was the better solution as it was lighter and more easy to glue. The parts that reach from the wings to the first wires were made from silver rod. Drilled additional holes into the wings for these parts.

BTW: The rigging on top of the model isn´t fixed with glue to the fuselage. Have added some small drops of epoxy glue (Stabilit Express) to the ends of the wires that work as hooks. The advantage is that there is no CA-glue needed on top of the model and you can easily remove a wire if you are not happy with the result without closing the small holes with glue:

IMG_0398_zpscunjkcqc.jpg

HEY UNCLE MARIO!!!

THIS IS THE TIP I was wonderig at Know How Transfer...MMMMMM....Maybe next try after something I have been working in a daily basis...;)...WILL have to ask in detail how to do that in detail....step by step after the current one...

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

HEY UNCLE MARIO!!!

THIS IS THE TIP I was wonderig at Know How Transfer...MMMMMM....Maybe next try after something I have been working in a daily basis... ;)...WILL have to ask in detail how to do that in detail....step by step after the current one...

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

The next project will be a more public one again. As you are so busy with your Bronco - what about a WIP thread with Know How Transfer in the opposite direction?

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 1

As you are so busy with your Bronco - what about a WIP thread with Know How Transfer in the opposite direction?

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

I will see about that BUT remember my modeling skills are more older, outdated and not so elaborated than your 21st Century ones...maybe it will cause a LOL= Lot of Laughs between all those people who admire your nice works...will see...or maybe the WIP will be classed as "Old School and rudimentary skilld WIP"... ;)

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso