Airfix Seaking HC.4 - 1/72 new tool

Airgunner

Here's my entry for this GB....

F5A2151D-3DCC-41B4-956B-37CD9AEFF293_zps

Just wanted a quick look around the box this evening, but ended up getting the glue out and sticking some bits together. At least I can now say I've started!

Interior bits and bobs glued in. Mistake number one, right there. I didn't realise the anti-slip was in sections, and will now be a oain to paint, to say the least. Need to get some reference pictures now for colours and other bits and bob's as I have no idea what the innards of a Seaking look like.

7C223E18-402D-49B4-A4DB-C003DC5C8B93_zps

BDD37407-FDF2-4AEB-94A1-15547B6B8BAE_zps

It's not much, but it is a start. More soon.

• Like 9

Good start looks like an interesting kit I don't usally work in 1/72nd but as this mark is only available in this scale and it looks quite large I am tempted so will be watching.

Guy

I could be wrong, but shouldn't the rear observation seat be on the same side as the rear observation window?

You are correct, I re-read the instructions as I thought it didn't look right. It's now been moved but I'd already taken the photos.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time...

No sooner do I make a start on this, I get a commission to build a Spitfire for a friend of mine, so this has had to go on the back burner for a bit. However, that has now got to paint, so I can dabble a bit with this.

First up, I decided to bite the bullet and remove all the seat to make painting the floor easier. The anti-slip on the floor does seem to be a complicated pattern, I figured it would be quicker to remove the seats rather than try to mask around them. So, out they cam and all the holes for them to go back in were redrilled.

DB3F5D42-3247-4936-9D99-7908C5404EB3_zps

Using the walkaround photos from Airfix Model World, there appears to be some detail missing off the front bulkheads, and unless I'm missing something, there is nothing to replicate it in the box. As I want to open the rear door, something needs to go in there. First I opened the gap between the front and rear that Airfix have blocked off with a big lump of plastic. On the left hand side there seems to be a big panel, so I replicated this in 1mm plastic card. I will add some of the fasteners and clips that are on there from scrap photo-etch just before paint. On the right hand side there is a raised plate with some cutouts on it, and a box that holds a lifejacket, with another strapped to the bulkhead below it. The plate was added with 0.3mm card and the small box made from the same. Once this is done I'll fashion some lifejackets from either milliput or folded paper towel in PVA.

8D50F47F-2562-4CD1-B79E-B185FBB8F960_zps

Not much of an update I'm afraid, but at least I'm moving again. Hopefully I'll get more updates more regularly now I'm nearly done with the Spit.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 5

Got another hour or so in on this today, I added the fastener and straps on the panel behind the drivers seat, these were made from scraps of etch frames, and bent over streched sprue to get the curves. They are a little overscale compared to the photos by it will be dark in there so I made them bigger so they can be seen.

B5407F1F-0A1E-48E9-ABCE-70EDD33C8157_zps

On the righthand bulkhead, the top corner seems to be recessed in the photos I've seen, so I cut it out and boxed it with some plastic card. In one of the photos I have there is a small box with a mesh front in there, so thats what I'll put there. There is also a pipe thing that appears from under the floor and runs up the side of the bulkhead so I added that too from a scrap bit of Cat5 innards.

D2392FC3-5455-499C-AC07-B78395DF2540_zps

Finally I whacked a bit of primer on it see how it looks. Not too bad I think. Hopefully tomorrow I can have a go at the rear bulkhead.

4A326F23-E043-43C1-BEB5-31BAE29B555D_zps

Thank for looking.

Steve

Edited by Airgunner
  • Like 5

Slowly getting bits done, but this evenings events were curtailed by my heater in the shed running out of gas.

Got the rear bulked soundproofing made out of tissue soaked in PVA. Doesn't look all that at the moment, but with some paint it on it will look ok. Probably won't be able to see it anyway....

BFEC68CE-91D9-4D9E-9FD5-625FAF02C7F0_zps

And coat of Alclad Aluminium on the floor for the chipping...

28104B2B-0067-4704-9147-A790D9BE670B_zps

And that's where the bottle expired... a trip to the gasman tomorrow and hopefully a bit more done in the evening.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Edited by Airgunner
  • Like 4

Good stuff it seems to be easier with out the seats in place.

Guy

Hi Airgunner,

If they are of any use to you I can email you lots of reference photos of the HC4 Sea King taken during the early 90,s. They are of both interior and exterior of the aircraft. Pm if you require them

That's starting to look good, I think you did the right thing removing the seats, made it far easier to paint..................By the way the tube thing up the side of the "Broom" cupboard is the 'P' tube.............It has a chrome/stainless lidded top to it...................Smudge

Hi Smudge,

Nice, thanks for that, photo I have does show a metallic top on it, I'll add that from foil once it painted in there.

Hi Airgunner,

If they are of any use to you I can email you lots of reference photos of the HC4 Sea King taken during the early 90,s. They are of both interior and exterior of the aircraft. Pm if you require them

PM inbound...

Trickling along slowly, got the interior paint on this afternoon, after giving the aluminium a coat of hairspray.

9DF6F5C9-9B1A-419B-8731-70F1138A45D8_zps

After allowing it to dry for half an hour, a little scrub with some warm water and a stiff brush and some wear and tear appeared.

14E58747-C39D-4D7F-9539-52E76B57A884_zps

I finishing up for the day with a little bit of detail painting on the bulkheads.

37F8FEF7-53FD-49AD-99A9-6EF63CCE99E5_zps

I've also made up a couple of lifejackets out of PVA soaked tissue, just letting them dry before I add them. Also going to give the floor a day to go off before masking the anti-slip floor. Attention with then turn to the drivers bits...

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 1