Pearl Harbour Zeroes - Airfix 1/72 x 2

I've just finished these Airfix Zeroes using the Tecmod transfers for no.140 flown by Lt. Sumio Nono from the carrier Hiryu and the Airfix Dogfight Double markings for no.102 flown by Lt. Saburo Shindo from the carrier Akagi.

First the Hiryu aircraft:

DSCN4558.jpg

DSCN4560.jpg

DSCN4562.jpg

DSCN4564.jpg

DSCN4567.jpg

DSCN4569.jpg

Then the Akagi aircraft:

DSCN4570.jpg

DSCN4573.jpg

DSCN4575.jpg

DSCN4577.jpg

DSCN4579.jpg

DSCN4580.jpg

I built the kits more-or-less OOB with only a couple of changes, such as replacing the not-terribly-well-moulded pitots with Albion Alloys Aluminium Tube and Nickel-Silver Rod (I think I will use the next size up next time though, as these were so fine as to be almost invisible)... the kits went together very well with no particular issues (well, I had a bit of a hard time matching up the two halves of the auxiliary fuel-tanks but that could have been me in both cases) and were nice easy and quick builds. Edit: forgot to say I used Eduard micro-fabric seat straps too.

I painted the interiors in Colourcoats Mitsubishi Interior Green, the exterior in Colourcoats Mitsubishi Grey-Green and the cowlings in Mitsubishi Cowl Blue Black from their Japanese Colours Range. Once decalled they were given a coat of Xtracolor Satin Varnish.

I used (mostly) Techmod transfers for the Hiryu Zero and (again mostly) the Airfix kit transfers for the Akagi Zero. I had issues with most of the transfers not really settling down despite the ministrations of three different types of setting solutions; no idea how or why that happened but it was a bit of a downer when the assembly and painting had gone so well and so quickly. Fortunately the most egregious problems are not visible in the pictures but if you do see anything that offends you, please let it pass as it will have annoyed me even more.

Long-winded build thread is here.

Sorry for the rambling excuse-making and thanks for your attention :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 29

A damn fine pair, and I see no egregious transfer problems.

I like the colours, a far cry from the white plane and black cowlings of my younger days,

Sean

• Like 2

Fortunately the most egregious problems are not visible in the pictures but if you do see anything that offends you, please let it pass as it will have annoyed me even more.

:)

They look marvelous Stew.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Two fantastic looking models Stew, well done and it's good to see you back.

I think that your right about the tube for pitot tubes, I tend to use the nickel silver wire and the smallest tube on my 1/144th builds and they look about right at that scale. On my recent 1/72 F-5B build I used Albion Alloys 0.3mm inside 0.5mm for the nose pitot and again that looks about right when compared to the kit part.

But they are still two great models beautifully finished as always.

• Like 1

Crackin' builds!

I had no issues with the Airfix decals on my build,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989517-172-airfix-mitsubishi-a6m2b-zero/?hl=pappy, but I painted mine with Tamiya paints. The Colourcoats grey looks like it has a distinct brwonish tinge, but this may be due to the lighting?

I also concur that the pitot probes are best replaced,

Agreat pair of zero's,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Thank you all gents :cheers:

Pappy - thank you, and yes, there is a distinctly brownish cast to the paint, like a browner RLM02 - I believe the original Ame-iro colour did have a brown/honey-coloured tinge - for realism I should maybe have 'diluted' the Colourcoats paint with a little light grey for "scale effect"... but I liked the colour as it was, so kept it as it is. Of the transfers I used the Airfix ones performed the best but it might just be that I am more used to using them than the Techmod ones.

Duncan, haha yes, I felt that 'transferring' was too open to misinterpretation :D

Thanks again for your attention,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3