Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1A Corsair

Here's my entry:

DSCN4547.jpg

... and here's what's in the box:

DSCN4549.jpg

... and markings:

DSCN4550.jpg

... though I might use these as I have a hankering for the red-bordered star-and-bars:

DSCN4553.jpg

I got a couple of extras too, a masking set because I am lazy...

DSCN4551.jpg

... and a set of wheels so I don't have to clean up the join around the tyre treads:

DSCN4552.jpg

I've got my paints:

DSCN4556.jpg

Dull Dark Green, Zinc Chromate Yellow, Non-Specular White, Intermediate Blue and USN Sea Blue from the USAAC/USN range...

... and I've got the weekend pretty much free, so I hope to make a start shortly.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

Hi Stew,

what are the Colourcoat paints? Never heard of them, didn't know they even existed anywhere between here and Alpha Centauri...

Enamel or acrylics?

Have fun with this great kit!

JR

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one Stew.

Thanks Cookie, I hope it will be uneventful, in a good way :D

Looking good Stew.

Thanks John :)

Good to see your joining the fray :)

Thanks Stu, nice to be here :)

Hi Stew,

what are the Colourcoat paints? Never heard of them, didn't know they even existed anywhere between here and Alpha Centauri...

Enamel or acrylics?

Have fun with this great kit!

JR

Thank you Jean, the Colourcoats paints are enamels, Sovereign Hobbies took them over when White Ensign Models closed down (well the paint side of things anyway, I think they are still doing their etched brass for ships). Unfortunately as far as you are concerned they might as well be in the Alpha Centauri system as I don't think there is much chance that they could post them to Zimbabwe!

I forgot to include this among my extras listed above:

DSCN4583.jpg

It's the superfabric flexible printed seatbelt from Eduard...

I started the day by swallowing my frog:

DSCN4585.jpg

Then de-sprued and painted the cockpit components - I decided on U.S. Interior Green rather than Dull Dark Green as the only pictures I could find seemed to show that as the most common colour; I used Zinc Chromate Yellow for the tailwheel well:

DSCN4588.jpg

I'll leave those to dry overnight and hopefully start on the detail painting tomorrow...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Thanks Cookie, Jamie, I'm grateful for the reassurance; I'm a bit out of my depth here :D

Sometimes a little insomnia can be a good thing, I was up a good couple of hours even before the dog woke up, so I got on with the detail painting and just about finished the cockpit parts, which is exactly why I prefer acrylics for detail work:

DSCN4595.jpg

I also dirtied-up the interior with some Citadel wash 'Agrax Earthshade':

DSCN4596.jpg

It might look a bit overdone but I'll be pleased if it is even faintly visible once it is all closed up.

Once the IP transfer has set and dried I can add the gunsight, assemble and install the cockpit and join the fuselage halves - hopefully that will be possible today.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Looking great Stew, love the cockpit so far - the Tamiya one is way better than the Revell one I am fighting :-)

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

really tasty start! And what a beautiful kit!!!
Re the ex_White Ensign paints (and other brands) I have this cunning plan as a couple of groups of British people will be popping around here in a few months time... If only they knew!

So the question: are these paints any good? I have only heard scant comments pertaining to the White Ensign paints, but I can't remember the gist of them!

Furthermore, there is a school of thoughts that states that the tail wheel area and a couple of other places I cannot recall, were salmon pink/salmon red on the Corsairs...

I personally think there is nothing wrong with more conventional paints, but I just need to be convinced and I'll go for a more exotic hue!

Great show and keep on having fun!

JR

• Like 1

Stew,

MY favourite aircraft.. the Corsair...

NEAT start and flawless work on the interior.Nice painting et al... :goodjob:

the instrument panel are very clean ..

WOW .. :Tasty: :clap:

Thanks mate, I'm glad you like it - for the avoidance of doubt I should point out that I used the kit-provided transfer for the instrument panel though :)

Nice work on the interior Stew, your detail painting is always top notch.

Thanks Cookie, there's some nice details in there to paint :)

Looking great Stew, love the cockpit so far - the Tamiya one is way better than the Revell one I am fighting :-)

Thanks Pete, I've been dropping in on your build, it's a shame it's giving you grief, I thought the new(-ish) Revell kit would go together like Lego

Hi Stew,

really tasty start! And what a beautiful kit!!!

Re the ex_White Ensign paints (and other brands) I have this cunning plan as a couple of groups of British people will be popping around here in a few months time... If only they knew!

So the question: are these paints any good? I have only heard scant comments pertaining to the White Ensign paints, but I can't remember the gist of them!

Furthermore, there is a school of thoughts that states that the tail wheel area and a couple of other places I cannot recall, were salmon pink/salmon red on the Corsairs...

I personally think there is nothing wrong with more conventional paints, but I just need to be convinced and I'll go for a more exotic hue!

Great show and keep on having fun!

JR

Thanks Jean :) - I was a fan of the WEM paints and remain a fan of the Sovereign Colourcoats so I undoubtedly have an implicit bias but if you are an enamel user I recommend them to you without reservation; the Sovereign Colourcoats and the Phoenix Precision Paints are in my opinion the two best quality colour-matched enamel ranges available (or not available in Zimbabwe unless you have a cunning plan). However as stated above I am biased as those are the paints I use all the time and I would be an idiot if I used them even though I didn't like them :lol:

With regard to the salmon pink/red tailwheel area, I suppose it is possible, the British and Germans both had reddish shades of primers, perhaps the Americans did too? If so maybe some got used through need or error but you'd need to be ready to explain that to everyone who looked at your model and that might get a bit boring after the first few times :D

A last look at the cockpit module before it is gone forever:

DSCN4598.jpg

... and I closed up the fuselage - and before I knew it had done the wings too:

DSCN4599.jpg

I think that will be it for the weekend though, unless I am stricken with insomnia again tomorrow...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

... well I was up pretty early anyway, so I attached the tailplanes:

DSCN4602.jpg

... and added the observation window and the separate section of flap to the wings:

DSCN4604.jpg

I'm quite pleased that I remembered to drill the holes for the drop tank before I attached the wings to the fuselage. I've been very impressed with the fit of parts of this kit, aside from the part that fits behind the cockpit and the flap section shown above which has a noticeable gap on one side and across the topside, however the excellent fit of all the other parts forces me to accept the possibility that I might be responsible for any misalignment...

I hope to fit the wing later today, and after that I can start on the engine.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Great work as ever stew, there are a number of these kits being done and they do look excellent with great details. Talking of witch stew that cock pit is a treat for the eyes, well done.

Good to see you turning over the stew model machine again!

Rob

• Like 1

Hi, the salmon colour was apparently a mix of red pigment with yellow zinc chromate to make a pinkish-brownish primer. My understanding (happy to be corrected if more recent research says otherwise) is that this stuff was in use on F4U-1 birdcage Corsairs.

• Like 1

Hi, the salmon colour was apparently a mix of red pigment with yellow zinc chromate to make a pinkish-brownish primer. My understanding (happy to be corrected if more recent research says otherwise) is that this stuff was in use on F4U-1 birdcage Corsairs.

Hi James,

thank you for these comments. I did not know how they made this primer, and now I do! You are right: this red primer appears to have been discontinued after the Birdcage. It is sorely tempting to go this route though...

Cheers

JR

Great work as ever stew, there are a number of these kits being done and they do look excellent with great details. Talking of witch stew that cock pit is a treat for the eyes, well done.

Good to see you turning over the stew model machine again!

Rob

Thanks Rob, it is a very nice kit indeed, that cockpit is a beautiful thing but of course most of it will never be seen again :lol:

Thanks for that Jamie - that mix with a Dull Dark Green cockpit would be quite eye-catching...

Nice progress Stew,

The Tamiya kits really do go together like a dream, and you're making a great job of this one.

K

Thanks K, yes the kit does make for pretty easy progress :)

Usual high standard finish Stew,cockpit looks superb!

Thanks very much Steve :D

I got the wings attached, which fit more-or-less perfectly though I did use a smear of Citadel Liquid Green filler on the left wing-root, painted on then wiped off again with a cotton bud, which filled a tiny gap along the rear half of the port wing. I added a bit more to the spine behind the cockpit as I wasn't entirely convinced that the existing join would be invisible:

DSCN4607.jpg

Then I made a start on the engine components with a coat of 'near-black' on the firewall and cylinder banks - it will serve as undercoat on the cylinders:

DSCN4608.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Sorry you're not sleeping well Stew, but it's good for the Corsair. This is going really well, and the kit looks to be as well detailed as the 1/48 version. I like the Citadel Earth Shade wash, I think I've found some where in Limoges where I can buy Citadel paints, now all I need is somewhere here which sells Colourcoats!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

It's looking great Stew, I think you've passed me up. You're the canary now!

Thanks Cookie - I'd let you know if I smell anything suspicious, but I have a dog so there is quite often a noxious odour about :lol:

Sorry you're not sleeping well Stew, but it's good for the Corsair. This is going really well, and the kit looks to be as well detailed as the 1/48 version. I like the Citadel Earth Shade wash, I think I've found some where in Limoges where I can buy Citadel paints, now all I need is somewhere here which sells Colourcoats!

Cheers

John

Thanks John, I think I get as much sleep as I need, just not as much as I would want :D As for the Colourcoats, if you want a French dealer L'Arsenal in Longèves are stockists... :)

I got the engine assembled and painted, I think I might have overdone the washes a bit but am reasonably confident that once it is in the cowling nobody will be any the wiser:

DSCN4610.jpg

Hopefully I can get that fitted later today and then it is on to the undercarriage.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4