BBY- 1/144 U-Boot

beefy66

OK folks so next project under way at the yard 1/144 scale Revell U-Boot Atlantic Late Version this will be an OOB build in a sea base.

I got a gift from a mate and his son a couple of years back a U-Boat photo and a cap badge replica so wanting to do a similar look to the photo with this build

IMG_0001_zps2no4pcjv.jpg

Main hull built it could be a Quick one this build

IMG_0063_zpsulv0roha.jpg

And the photo

IMG_0064_zpsndmdsikf.jpg

Beefy

• Like 8

This should be ideal for your style of seascape! :popcorn:

Martin

Yes Martin Wet Cold and Slopy just like me the missus says

Are you going for a box art replication?

Yes Darby will be trying to get it very much like the box artwork I Hope :shrug:

Another "Reasons to feel queasy" seascape underway (think Ian Drury: Reasons to be cheerful, part 1) :yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo:

:eat: should be another masterclass :clap: :clap:

Not sure about the masterclass mate but will try and entertain the public at least

And thanks again for the help full link will be keeping that one handy for other projects :book:

Oh and like the new signature not sure my bosses would approve as they are Japanese company :bangin:

Beefy

• Like 1

I can see this is going to be another one of those comic interlude type builds :winkgrin::coolio::thumbsup:

back to the Sub for now I will only be using Vallejo primer paints on this build with some liquid pigments and oil washes to weather the drain pipe ( No sponsorship is used during this build :coolio: )

Panzer grey primer used first on the Hull

IMG_10001_zps9puj3nwr.jpg

IMG_0002_zps9oo3cyaj.jpg

Similar paints used on my old mine layer version

IMG_0003_zps72ckjlkd.jpg

Will be trying to get a box art type likeness to the seabase.

Beefy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Beefy, this will be well done in your capable hands.

All the best Chris

Thanks Chris

Do you have some figures lined up? It would look really cool with some crew members on the conning tower trying to keep warm.

Martin

Martin no crew want to display this as just coming out of the water I Hope :banghead:

So been a while since I posted on this busy a work but had today off and got cracking most of the fittings have been added and the painting started bit of pre-shading

IMG_0004_zps6ni4zc9g.jpg

IMG_0005_zps9dspeit1.jpg

Then mask off lower hull and paint the light Grey upper

IMG_0006_zpsqueakcva.jpg

IMG_0007_zpsbzz3c9nz.jpg

IMG_0008_zps1qqhwz2r.jpg

next a coat of varnish and then add decals and another coat of varnish

should make a start on the base tomorrow

Cheers Beefy

• Like 6

Masterclass in sub arising from the depths in silicone I presume!!

Looking forward to it

Cheers

K

Cheers mate not much interest in this little project probably not as colorful as my previous attempts

Small update I have painted the wood deck with burnt Umber oil paint and then started on some weathering with some scratches and chipping added with a small sponge

IMG_0010_zpswfyexfqb.jpg

IMG_0011_zps4bmkho7u.jpg

IMG_0012_zpstixwcosu.jpg

I have started on the base but not going to show progress until I get to the interesting bits :coolio:

Beefy

• Like 3

small update I have started to add the fine rigging and using PVA glue to simulate the insulators.

I have also started on the sea base and carved out the wave shapes not to sure if I need to get the aft down a bit more as I want to try and have the boat as just coming out from the water as an emergency surface so maybe the bow should point up more any advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated please

IMG_0013_zpsycqrmtcp.jpg

IMG_0014_zpswnrxf3be.jpg

Beefy

• Like 5

small update I have started to add the fine rigging and using PVA glue to simulate the insulators.

I have also started on the sea base and carved out the wave shapes not to sure if I need to get the aft down a bit more as I want to try and have the boat as just coming out from the water as an emergency surface so maybe the bow should point up more any advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated please

IMG_0013_zpsycqrmtcp.jpg

IMG_0014_zpswnrxf3be.jpg

Beefy

Try and get hold of a copy of "Das Boot". It has some of the best foul weather at sea footage ever IMHO. Your sea and the sit of the ship look fine to me :winkgrin:

• Like 4

Try and get hold of a copy of "Das Boot". It has some of the best foul weather at sea footage ever IMHO. Your sea and the sit of the ship look fine to me :winkgrin:

Don't go overboard with the bow angle (pardon the pun). It looks fine to me.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen will start to build up the sea level with the silicone after I have the sides of the base in place and secured

Cheers :drink:

Beefy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK small update base sides done and painted just tweaked the angle slightly to try and achieve this

2878_u_at_sea550px.jpg

IMG_0029_zpsgwjml9fz.jpg

Also been tring out what I thought was fine copper wire for the side rails but it looks to thick so will remove and use same thread as for rigging

IMG_0028_zpszokzenco.jpg

Cheers

Beefy

• Like 3