Round 2/MPC 22" Eagle Transporter from SPace:1999

I put in a pre-order for this kit with Hobbylinc back in August and it finally arrived in Mid January, so I had to start it right away! its a marvellous kit, very well engineered and the second pressing of it will be even better as they've fixed a few of the issues that hav ebeen raised by people building this first edition.

Anyway, here are the photos of the completed model. It has a red LED in the cockpit to illuminate the figures. The battery is a 3v coin-type battery hidden in the front walkway section, accessible via a slot in the bottom.

With its little brother courtesy Product Enterprises

DSC_4560.JPG

DSC_4561.JPG

DSC_4562.JPG

DSC_4563.JPG

DSC_4564.JPG

DSC_4565.JPG

DSC_4566.JPG

DSC_4567.JPG

Battery panel:

DSC_4508.JPG

The engine bells etc were painted with Alcad metallic paints, so no ridiculous expense with aluminium bells for me!

DSC_4526.JPG

This was a superb kit, huge fun to build and no major faults as far as I was concerned. The Replicas Unlimited kit in the stash will be consigned to history now...

• Like 18

I must admit I do have to resist the urge to "fly" it around the lounge making "whooshing" noises :D

Ha, if it was me I'd be making a whistling noise through my teeth as it takes off vertically

Very epic build

J

Very nicely done. It's quite big isn't it. I wasn't expecting something that large. Is thre room to light the engines?

I don't believe the Eagles had illuminated engines, I think they used compressed air jets to simulate the rocket motors.

Excellent build as well, thanks for sharing it.

I don't believe the Eagles had illuminated engines, I think they used compressed air jets to simulate the rocket motors.

Yep,...& that was in series 2

Compressed air was used on take off & landing for the vertical thrusters on both series'

J

No the Eagles didn't have lights at the rear, but in series 2 there are a couple of episodes showing landing lights on the underside of the side pods.

However, this is such a great kit, it doesn't NEED anything fancy added to it to make it look fantastic.

To answer your question though, yes there is plenty of room to add more lighting if you so wish :)

Great job on your R2 Eagle Kallisti. Did you ever pull your old RU23 out again? I was just researching build threads on it and came across yours again. I'm back working on my RU23. I plan on picking up the R2 release at WonderFest this summer though, just in case! LOL

To be honest I doubt if it will ever get completed - I just couldn't get paint to stick to the resin and frankly life is too short to deal with that sort of ... ahem... especially when this kit is so superb!

• Like 1

Actually they used canisters of Freon gas - which would now be totally illegal and hazardous.

As Freon hits room temperature - or studio temperature - air, it condenses into a white 'fog'.

Hence the jet effect.

Times were different back then.

Roy.

• 2 weeks later...

Chuffed to bits, my Eagle won this month's Member's Trophy at my local model club, IPMS Farnborough.

This is a special competition we hold every March and September, choosing differerent topics each time. We are currently going round the less popular classes in our regular monthly meetings and this time it was the Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Real space category.

There were some cracking entries, including a Back to the Future Delorean. My new Thunderbird 4 model came 3rd but I was very pleased that the Eagle won

DSC_4793.JPG

• Like 2