Colours for grey/green Seafires

Antony Robertson

Hi all

I'm currently in the process of wrestling together Revell's Seafire 1b.

I'm looking at the colours for it and they are the usual Revell mix of a bit of this, a bit of that, stir it up and hope for the best.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the colours from any other manufacturers please?

There is also a scheme for a blue aircraft with a lightning stripe running down the side, serial number MB340, same question for that one as well please?

Many thanks

Antony

The Seafires were painted in the Temperate Sea Scheme (TSS) which means Extra Dark Sea Grey (a bluish grey) and Dark Slate Grey (a greenish grey) over Sky (duck egg blue). You will find these in most reputable model paint ranges.

As fr as anyone knows, Duncan Hamilton's Seafire will have been in Sea Blue Gloss.

The Seafires were painted in the Temperate Sea Scheme (TSS) which means Extra Dark Sea Grey (a bluish grey) and Dark Slate Grey (a greenish grey) over Sky (duck egg blue). You will find these in most reputable model paint ranges.

As fr as anyone knows, Duncan Hamilton's Seafire will have been in Sea Blue Gloss.

Thanks for the quick reply, I should be able to find them quite easily.

With regard to the blue, all I've been able to find about colour is Royal Blue, are these colours fairly similar as Royal Blue seems a bit bright.

Antony

as Graham said, most brands do the correct colours in there ranges, though a trap to fall in is not making either shade bright enough, this is mine in xtracrylix, can see dark slate grey is a strong green (despite the name), and extra dark sea grey is very blue, despite plain ol dark sea grey being very unblue

E3C617BE-BAAF-4DF0-9BC2-C597FC98B7A1_zps

On the Hamilton Seafire: other views do exist, though I can't say I have any particular leaning. Royal Blue is often quoted, and here someone says that his son Adrian asked his mum who was an eyewitness who says it was black

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1182370876/Duncan+Hamilton+Seafire

None of this would reach the standard required for evidence in court so do as you wish.

However, I haven't read Hamilton's book. If it's true (as the linked post claims) that Hamilton himself wrote that the aeroplane was black, then that would be worthwhile primary evidence. Being an outstandingly helpful fellow I've just ordered a copy of the book, and will report back in due course.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

Sea Blue Gloss is quite dark: a Royal Blue would be somewhat lighter and produced by a mix. Saying that a given colour was a mix is usually a cop-out meaning "I don't know" and that it probably was a standard colour really. An available bright blue could be old stocks of prewar Blue as used on roundels. Another dark possibility is wartime Blue for roundels. Humbrol do a Midnight Blue which is pretty close to SBG, and given the uncertainties around this aircraft will probably do.

Sea Blue Gloss is quite dark: a Royal Blue would be somewhat lighter and produced by a mix. Saying that a given colour was a mix is usually a cop-out meaning "I don't know" and that it probably was a standard colour really. An available bright blue could be old stocks of prewar Blue as used on roundels. Another dark possibility is wartime Blue for roundels. Humbrol do a Midnight Blue which is pretty close to SBG, and given the uncertainties around this aircraft will probably do.

Oh dear, looks like I might have opened a can of worms here. I did think Royal Blue looked a bit bright as there seems to be a definite colour difference between the fuselage and the fin flash.

Humbrol Midnight Blue looks like it could be a good candidate as well.

Thanks for the answers everyone, I appreciate the help

Antony

On the Hamilton Seafire: other views do exist, though I can't say I have any particular leaning. Royal Blue is often quoted, and here someone says that his son Adrian asked his mum who was an eyewitness who says it was black

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1182370876/Duncan+Hamilton+Seafire

None of this would reach the standard required for evidence in court so do as you wish.

However, I haven't read Hamilton's book. If it's true (as the linked post claims) that Hamilton himself wrote that the aeroplane was black, then that would be worthwhile primary evidence. Being an outstandingly helpful fellow I've just ordered a copy of the book, and will report back in due course.

I've read Touch Wood several times & can't find any mention therein of MB340 being black . That said , however , I'm still happy to accept his wife's recollection of it being black , since there appear to be no other eyewitness accounts .

The Westland story has been investigated in Westland's records and no evidence found to support it. There are a lot of interesting looking photographs, but TSS does fade into different contrasts quite readily - see the other thread on Transport Command's colours. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997618-odd-coloured-halifax-cviiis/?hl=halifax

On a personal note, I was convinced from b&w photos that Indomitable's converted RAF Hurricane Mk.II was in different colours to its 885 Sq Sea Hurricane partners, but colour film showed it to be in TSS like the others.