Lockheed P-3 Orion - is it convertible from L-188 Electra?

bootneck

15 hours ago, hairystick said:

Lovely builds you have there. "NAVY 340" What's the story regarding that tail extension? It's hideous!:blink:

The NP-3D was a missile test range control aircraft which monitored shuttle and other rocket launches into the upper atmosphere. The panel is a unique billboard phased array telemetry antenna system.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 5:09 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The NP-3D was a missile test range control aircraft which monitored shuttle and other rocket launches into the upper atmosphere. The panel is a unique billboard phased array telemetry antenna system.

Interesting. I guess it makes sense having the system on the upper surfaces of the aircraft for ballistic work, as apposed to the ground sensing antenna seen on the lower fuselage areas like on JSTARS.

I was guessing something to do with aerodynamic testing that required stability or spin-recovery work.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 7:24 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

Just came across this. I noticed the nose on the Minicraft Electra looks a bit off. Has anyone seen that and how much needs to be corrected? I to thought of converting the P-3 but would rather use the Electra kit.

Literally *every* part of the MC Electra is off.  In most cases *way* off.  One of their worst kits.  Just about completely fictional.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sonoran said:

Literally *every* part of the MC Electra is off.  In most cases *way* off.  One of their worst kits.  Just about completely fictional.

I took a look online of the kit, ya, quite the difference compared to the LS kit. Just have to find something to use for the fuselage plug.

• 1 year later...

It is a strange idea to want to make a P-3 from an Electra!

There are so many differences that it can't be worth it.

The fuselage ahead of the wing is a different cross section, the Electra being circular, the P-3 not being so, essentially to house the bomb bay.  This effects the radome and cockpit cross sections, and the profile view of the entire front fuselage.

The radome itself is considerably bigger and differently shaped.

The rear fuselage is a different section from near the leading edge of the tailplane, being more bulbous on the P-3.

As mentioned above, the cockpit glazing shapes and angles are completely different, as is the entire roof line above it as the windows are also deeper on a P-3.

All this before even having to add the bomb bay, MAD boom and the various other military protuberances seen on the P-3.

The LS kit is the way to go, I used to have a couple and remember them as nice kits to build.

12 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

If you search 1/72 L-188 Electra conversion, you will see the idea of the parts and changes needed.

I started the conversion about 10 years ago, I was plagued with a resin part that had not cured properly, the fuselage plug

Here are the changed parts inthe conversion, you also need Electra props

49428497512_a392bd927b_c.jpg

49428497607_debf7b61bd_c.jpg

49428272906_2f7260c7aa_c.jpg

I tried to seal the resin with superglue

49427801703_a744cbef51_b.jpg

I also got some paint on it and tested the decal layout on it, but the paint on some parts did not want to dry as it reacted to the sweating resin

49428272946_996a261c64_b.jpg

So it was scrapped, I got myself another conversion set and i may tackle it this year.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

That's the 1/144 one? to bad the resin didn't work out. Want a set of wings and engines from the 1/72 kit. Need to cast them for a turbo Connie I want to make or use the kit parts. Or I also have the 1/72 kit but have to figure out how to cast the nacelles without cutting up a good wing. Wood works to. Not to stray away from the topic much.

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I started the conversion about 10 years ago, I was plagued with a resin part that had not cured properly, the fuselage plug

I also got some paint on it and tested the decal layout on it, but the paint on some parts did not want to dry as it reacted to the sweating resin

49428272946_996a261c64_b.jpg

So it was scrapped, I got myself another conversion set and i may tackle it this year.

Why? It definitely looks better than what I produce and then consider one of my better builds...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeejeeZ said:

Why? It definitely looks better than what I produce and then consider one of my better builds...

Because the resin was sweating under the paint on the forward fuselage plug and every time you touched the paint it felt wet even tough the rest of the paint was dry. Handling it put finger prints in it and left unsightly marks.

Like I said, I have another now and may tackle it this year.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 6:33 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

That's the 1/144 one? to bad the resin didn't work out. Want a set of wings and engines from the 1/72 kit. Need to cast them for a turbo Connie I want to make or use the kit parts. Or I also have the 1/72 kit but have to figure out how to cast the nacelles without cutting up a good wing. Wood works to. Not to stray away from the topic much.

1/72

On 1/23/2020 at 6:42 PM, 71chally said:

It looks like the 72nd Hase kit to me.

Was the resin from an aftermarket set or did you make it?

What a shame to have had to throw it away, it looks like it was progressing beautifully there Ray.

Yes the Hasegawa kit, the resin was from a Aussie company called J & W Models. I don't think they produced much else. The odd set pops up on Ebay every now and then. I bought the original set from a model shop in Melbourne about 15 years ago.

I was quite happy with it at the time. I tried to resurrect it by replacing the plug with another extension made from styrene strips but that did not work out.

• Like 2