Fleet Air Arm Corsair MkIV, 1/48 Tamiya: Finished 25/04/16!

Thanks chaps! Like I say, I have the other parts so it shouldn't take too much to get it back to the paint stage. Maybe I was trying to be too clever! I've just ordered another corsair so we'll be back up and running again soon!

• Like 1

That is bad news indeed as it came along so nicely.

Rich mentioned oven cleaner which he used on his P-47 build to strip paint.

spray on oven cleaner!! :D This stuff is awesome on acrylics, takes maybe a second go on enamels and doesn't effect the plastic at all. Just remember the gloves and do it in a well ventilated area!!

Maybe worth a try, can't really loose much.

Cheers, Peter

Hi chaps, it's back on. I bought a new Corsair and have used allmthe good parts from the original- Cockpit, engine, undercarriage etc. With the new kit I have put together the fuselage and wings, carrying out all the mods I did to the previous aircraft. I have also cut away the rudder to re-position it. It hasn't taken long and I am now at this stage:

IMG_20160316_173439.jpg

This time I have primed in black, white and grey. Metal parts I want to chip have been airbrushed in Ammo's Matt Aluminium and this time I am chipping small areas using Vallejo liquid mask which has worked for me before with no trouble. I then went back over with the black/white/grey.

Also aside, sorry this photo is naff. The background should be the same shade as above photos.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 7

Hi Nick,

Good to see you are back and on track with the build looks good so far.

Guy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck Nick I'm not going any where.

Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone thanks for bearing with me. I've recently moved house and just settling in now so able to do a little more of this corsair. I've sprayed some Xtracrylix gloss sea blue and revealed the chipping underneath. Aluminium and GSB are just not right together. The chippping is too strong and patches of chipping, too big. So I went over it and touched areas up. I sprayed the wing walkway lines then gave the model a coat of Alclad aqua gloss- some of the lines disappeared! I'll go back over them later but for now here's the aircraft with other items just dry fitted.

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5699.jpg

Edited to say that the harsh effects of natural lighting in my front room have hidden the tonal differences created by different primer colours. I will take better photos in future (I promise)!

• Like 5

Hi folks, thanks again for bearing with me. Work getting in the way etc. Small update today; some decal are/have gone on so here's some progress:

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

Small parts are just dry fitted for effect. I'm aware that the chipping looks abit overdone, especially on the starboard ammunition storage. I'll work on it!

Cheers folks

Nick

• Like 1

Hi everyone. The Corsair nears completion. It has had a light grey panel wash and then some staining around the fuel tank. I've given a flat coat of Xtracrylix flat which gives a sheen. Have added the vents, underside aerial and attached the undercarriage. On the arrestor hook, visible on the photograph of '122' is a series of white/black stripes like you see on modern aircraft which I have added as well:

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

Some more bits and pieces to do include the doped patches and a dusting. I also want to add some handles on to the inside of the canopy.

It's getting there!

• Like 3

Hi folks it's finished. Today I put the last few touches on including a handle on the canopy, some dusting over the aircraft and the the gun covers made from tin foil.

I'll pop it up in the gallery and RFI as well.

IMG_5734.jpg

• Like 6

Nice work :goodjob:

Always liked the dark blue Royal Navy Corsair and you've done a great job of making what could be a bland single colour interesting and adding life to the model. Stunning result.

• Like 1

Nice work :goodjob:

Always liked the dark blue Royal Navy Corsair and you've done a great job of making what could be a bland single colour interesting and adding life to the model. Stunning result.

Thanks very much! I'm not a big fan off the all over blue myself as I too find it a bit bland and the darkness of gsb seems to absorb detail of the kit in the wrong light. I've made three aircraft now in gsb and i'm not really happy with any of them but I would like to do another gsb corsair with the c1 roundels to add a bit more colour.

A very nice Corsair in Senior Service colours. Great finish with some nice detail. Very well done. Joe

• Like 1