Fleet Air Arm Corsair MkIV, 1/48 Tamiya: Finished 25/04/16!

Hi everyone, this is the first GB I've taken part in and I'm aiming to complete a Tamiya Corsair F4U-1D as a Fleet Air Arm Corsair MkIV, as flown by Henry Adlam. Apart from the fact we share the same surname I have also read his books so I thought this would make a fine choice. So first up here is the kit and some references:

IMG_20160218_124801.jpg

I first read Henry's first book 'On and Off the Flight Deck' a couple of years ago on the Kindle and it is a really insightful book into carrier flying during WW2. Henry flies wildcats, hellcats and corsairs among other aircraft and also carrying out a tour as a batsman. He took part in the raid on Pangkalan Brandan as a member of 1839 Sqn, flying hellcats. The book shown above is 'The Disastrous Fall and Triumphant Rise of the Fleet Air Arm' which is also another interesting read.

Towards the end of the war Henry served as Batsman on HMS Colossus with 1846 Sqn and also became a Sqn pilot on the corsairs. He sailed down to Ceylon, Australia and South Africa before coming back home with the Sqn and flew into Lee-on-the-Solent (HMS Daedalus) with a decommissioning pennant on his corsair! Now there are many photos of 1846 Sqn corsairs but in his book, Henry is shown with his beloved '122' in the cockpit. Iang has informed me 1846 had 2 aircraft coded '122', either KD412 or KD780.

I think I have found the correct one; KD780. The giveaway I believe, is that there are no canopy frames show in Henry's photo, whereas according to Dana Bells reference, KD412 was fitted with them and were not done away with until after KD662. As luck would have it KD780 has a lovely photo taken of it, with maybe Henry in the cockpit?

corsair-122-kd780.jpg

So the kit will be completed with some extras and additions:

Eduard Seatbelts

Fuse wire ignition harness

Resin wheels (with diamond tread)

CO vents added

Xtradecals

Thanks for looking!

Nick

• Like 3

Here's a bit of a start on the cockpit, Ammo black primer and then some Vallejo Aluminium. I plan to use some chipping fluid before the Yellow Zinc and interior green coats. May do a couple of items in dull dark green.

IMG_20160218_155051.jpg

1627695a-b831-447c-b982-599a076ee52c.jpg

• Like 4

A solid start, looking forward to following the build. I'll be interested to see how the chipping fluid works out for you, I've been meaning to give it a try on a build for a while now.

I've ended up using hairspray as have never used it before for some light chipping but will use some fluid later on.

Hi folks, just a small update today. I have removed the triangular plastic from the tailwheel section and replaced with a little bit of fuse wire to represent the tie down.

IMG_20160221_161938.jpg

Cheers for looking chaps. Over the next few days I will:

Clip the wings

Adjust the flaps to go up

Add some wire to the undercarriage

Add ignition harness to the engine.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 4

This is the fourth Tamiya Corsair I've done and each one has something a little different! So yesterday made the neccesary chop to make short-short wingtips and added fuse wire to the engine to simulate the ignition harness. The wings need the small circle filled near the leading edge. They are supposed to be fuel filler caps for the wingtanks but are in the wrong spot and were deleted on this aircraft. I will use some clear sprue attached with superglue for wingtip lights with lights drilled out.

IMG_20160222_1652122.jpg

IMG_20160222_1625202.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 6

Hi Nick,

I like the work you have done so far and as John said above good work on the wing tips.

I will keep an eye on this one if you don't mind ?

Guy

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

I like the work you have done so far and as John said above good work on the wing tips.

I will keep an eye on this one if you don't mind ?

Guy

Thanks very much, please do!

• Like 1

Afternoon everyone, today I have painted the engine with black, aluminium, grey and a brown wash and fixed it to the front of the aircraft. The fuselage has come together and seams have been sanded:

IMG_20160223_122727.jpg

I think I took this photo before the wash was applied as it is less stark in reality.

• Like 3

Blimey your moving a long with your build but it does look good with what you have done ! like the choice of airframe as well I have many books on the Corsair I think it was a great carrier aircraft once we put it right !

Guy

• Like 1

The Magneto, located behind the propeller governor at the 12 O'clock position, should be black. Not trying to be nitpicky but it will make the whole planetary gearcase assembly look more interesting.

Aside from that progress looks very good indeed. Nice how you re-did the catapult holdback fitting on the tail wheel strut, too.

david

Edited by David H
  • Like 1

The Magneto, located behind the propeller governor at the 12 O'clock position, should be black. Not trying to be nitpicky but it will make the whole planetary gearcase assembly look more interesting.

Aside from that progress looks very good indeed. Nice how you re-did the catapult holdback fitting on the tail wheel strut, too.

david

Nice one David, noted and will be adjusted tomorrow!

That cockpit is a work of art. Great work!

Greg in OK

Thankyou very much!

I have a bit of an update today. I painted the magneto housing on the engine:IMG_20160225_110642.jpgIMG_20160225_110326.jpg

I also cleaned up the seams and filled a couple of blemishes in the fuselage.

Next up I drilled and painted some little holes into some clear sprue, added it to the wingtips and sanded down until we get the right profile:

IMG_20160225_111027.jpgspringsIMG_20160225_111104.jpg

I have also added some wire to the undercarriage. Some guitar string would have been better to use to simulate springs.

• Like 4

As seen in the photo above I have used CMK resin wheels for the later style. However I think it looks too thin, what do you guys think?

IMG_20160225_111427.jpg

IMG_20160225_111601.jpg

Kit wheel on the left.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 2

As seen in the photo above I have used CMK resin wheels for the later style. However I think it looks too thin, what do you guys think?

IMG_20160225_111427.jpg

IMG_20160225_111601.jpg

Kit wheel on the left.

Cheers

Nick

According to Corsair enthusiast Don Fenton, there were two Corsair tyres of differing width, although i haven't seen a side by side comparison. General consensus however is the Tamiya wheels are a smidge too big in diameter. So, i think you still stand on firm ground.

David

• Like 2

Nick is right. I also haven't gone off about how a lot of people are ignoring the non-skid areas and the 1" wide walkway stripes.

There are just some recurring rookie mistakes i keep seeing on Corsair builds that send me around the bend. I really should learn to be more patient....

-d-