Ed Force One 747

The problem with using window decals on the Revell kit is that the windows are cut out. There are a few issues with the Revell kit, which I received the other day (being a fan of the band I bought one instead of going for the expensive desk top option)

Ed%20Force%20One%20kit%2001_zpsehiwhfgw.

It's quite big by comparison to the 1/200 homebrand 744 and obligatory Book of Souls CD.

Ed%20Force%20One%20kit%2003_zpsd1vkzgul.

Nice instruction booklet full of detail.

Ed%20Force%20One%20kit%2004_zpsudqhqijl.

Decal sheet looks good at least.

Ed%20Force%20One%20kit%2005_zpsyobjgpcn.

Compare the fin detail with the real thing;

Ed%20Force%20One%20Fin%20-%20Copy_zpshs9

There are a few issues with the kit and decals however. The nose profile is wrong. The 747 has a straight line from the windscreen to the radome, on the kit its curved and there's a small rise in the line. The NACA duct intakes for the a/c packs are in the wrong place and they are too shallow, but for someone with skills, it should be an easy fix. Also, the 'Iron Maiden' titling on the real thing goes in between the top deck windows, but this is not reflected on the decal sheet, which means the windows have to be cut out since they are holes on the kit. I guess the windows could be filled in and the decal window outlines used, but a lot of work sanding and rescribing and I cannae be arsed doing all that. There's a lot of flash on the kit and the sprues are like tree trunks. 'Ave'ta get out the Huskvarna...

Ed%20Force%20One%20Chc%20-%20Copy_zpsxgr

In terms of build, it looks simple; there are 85 parts in total. Since I'm not that proficient a modeller, I'm going to build it in flight and make a stand for it and put it with my small fleet of homebrand desk tops, which it'll dwarf.

Edited by nuuumannn
  • Like 1

Watched this coming into EMA for Download. It was the steadiest approach I saw that afternoon. He's not just a clever chap he's a damn fine pilot, which you'd expect from someone who loves it.

A work mate was brought back by him when a holiday company went bust a few years back. Reckons it's the best landing he'd ever had.

If you want to avoid all that surgery, you should be able to pair the Revell kit with Zvezda/Revell's 747-8. If you shorten the fuselage of the -8 and use the -400 wings, you should end up with a fairly accurate representation of the 747.

Best of luck, and looking forward to the build!

Jan

Thanks Jan, I'll be posting some pics when I get round to it. Doing some working out, the window holes can be covered by decals, which you can see on the decal sheet, but it'll be a bit flimsy. A clear laquer coat should help.

the window holes can be covered by decals, which you can see on the decal sheet, but it'll be a bit flimsy. A clear laquer coat should help.

hello

i was wondering about this way to do.

I'll follow you trial doing this. :^)

Cheers!

Romain

Hello,

I purchased this morning 2 Ed Force One 747-400 kits.

The decal sheet is nice but I noticed something unusual, the clear pax windows/silver frames are provided in 3 different shapes/sizes, they are all slightly different.

For example, the upper deck 2 window sections (patterns no 54R/53R/60L/61L) are the biggest window frames with some sort of elongated rectangle shape, then the main deck 2 front window sections (patterns no 56R/55R/62L/63L) are slightly smaller and squarer shaped, then the balance of the main deck window sections (patterns no 59R/58R/57R/64L/65L/66L) are even smaller and more ovoid shaped.

I am unable to check the window strips on the kits simply because the plastic parts were binned straight away as I came out of the hobby shop (I could have given them for free but nobody would have paid for the shipping anyway).

Any idea why 3 different window shapes/sizes? At this point, providing them in 1 unique shape/size and dark grey/silver frame, as it is the case with lots of aftermarket decals, would have appeared as more logical. Unless Revell specified clear windows with silver frames?

I noticed that too.I also had no explanation why the size discrepancies of the windowframes.None of these frames are enough for the whole aircraft so by using them you would end up with different windowsizes on each side.I will opt for the 747 detail set anyway and fill and sand the kits windows and use the detailset windows and an AA cockpitwindow.

Edited by Alex1978

Alex1978, exactly my view when it comes to AA realistic window decals, I will certainly use them in this case.

I'm wondering if it is because the Revell 747-400 windows are unevenly sized/shaped, and that whoever specified clear window decals, they absolutely had to fit the kit?

Anyway, that makes for costly decal sheets (paid 2 kits and binned everything but the decal sheets and assembly guides) that will go on a slightly dearer but splendid AA kit.

It used to be officially available since a bit more than a month, but it seems the fuselage master was recently damaged and (I assume) is currently being rebuilt.

Check out on their website, there are nice photos of the contents. I am just worried about the weight of that beast.

Sorry for the off-topic stuff.

Having gotten a little bit further into the build; take a look here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007877-revell-b747-ed-force-one;-run-to-the-hills/ I'm in two minds about the windows. I might fill them in, and I'm thinking of doing the same with the windscreen as well since its wrongly positioned. The instructions give a clue as to where the window decals go, but it might be easier to just fill the windows in and fit the decals.

The kit really is baaaaad.