Gloster GLadiator, Irish Army Air Corps....

Artie

Hi all......Were the Irish Army Air Corps fitted with radio equipment...???? I'm trying to restore an old kit, and wonder about the aerial.......Not sure about them using radios, so any idea will be of great help. Just in case, was it the same "Y" shaped aerial used on british examples..? All the pics I've came across haven't been very useful....

TIA and best regards....

Edited by Artie

• 1 month later...

Hi, Noelh......that info make things much clearer now....My IAC Gladiator represents Nr 26 in pre war scheme, so according to what they say in that thread, no radios were fitted at that point.....heavy and not very useful equipment back then...

Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction...

• Like 2

Missed this last month but it rang a bell for me. The subject was discussed on the IPMS Ireland forum here. http://forum.ipmsireland.com/topic/9994483/1/

So yes radios on camouflaged examples. Pre war no.

Noel as the four aircraft were delivered before the "War/Emergency", were the radios part of an upgrade during the repainting?

regards

Eamonn

Noel as the four aircraft were delivered before the "War/Emergency", were the radios part of an upgrade during the repainting?

regards

Eamonn

A guy named FISE, said:"In 'Military Aviation in Ireland 1922-45' is written that, after death of Mr. Collins, who was a visionary and all for progress, things have changed and people with no interest in aviation and no knowledge whatsoever were in the lead of Irish Air Corps and they simply didn't see any need for modern communication and navigation equipment being installed in aircraft and on the ground.

I think that there is a bit of write up on the Gladiators and time when they were entering service. The radios were installed much later, but I think, those were Morse code 'tap the key devices'. The presence of aerial mast and fixing points doesn't necessary means that the cables were there, just a curiosity."

It makes sense, then, thinking the radios weren't fitted from the beggining, but when they were given a camouflage overcoart....

It's a very interesting theory wich can be seen in a number of other countries...Here in Spain, not so many planes were fitted with radios, even when their original cousins were so fitted. For example, during the SCW, most of the planes were flown without any radio equipment, even the most modern ones, such as the Bf109......

Few years ago, I built an IAC GLoster Gladiator in 1/48 scale, and it's been kept into a cardboard box since then. The other day, I found it with some minor damage, wich included a lost antenna and some broken rigging, plus a missing propeller and undercarriage leg...so I feel it's time to restore it and place her into a proper cabinet...!!!!

Sláinte...!!!

regards

Eamonn

According to the final post. Radios were fitted for air firing and exercises. But were delivered later and were morse key type. I think Tony Kearns may be the source of that info.

I can't see how useful a morse radio in a single pilot fighter could be useful. 'Enemy sighted' dit dah dit dit dah dah dah dit dah dah. Oh for heaven sake! I give up.

The RAF had VHF by then.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That is incredible. :o. How in God's name can a fighter pilot be expected to use morse code. Never heard that before.

You can't imagine how four pints of Guinness can help......!!!!!!