1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk1

I made this late last year and it was my first model for about 20 years. Brush painted with humbrol paints and washed with Flory models dark dirt (I got a bit carried away with the weathering!).

I also gave it a "matt" finish at the end but didn't shake the bottle enough so it it went all glossy & horrible so I had to fix that :(. Still happy with it for my first real build though.

Really enjoyed the kit and it's clear these new tool kits are a thousand years ahead of some of the models I built when I was younger. I thought this would be a one off but I'm nearly at the end of building a 109 and bought a compressor the other week to finish this new one off.

Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_2612_zpsqtlrrp5k.jpg
IMG_2611_zpsfqhqjxjh.jpg
IMG_2610_zps4x5sk0sd.jpg
703afcf3-372f-4d8e-955a-dbcfffeb8110_zps
Edited by Mattyc
  • Like 12

Hi Mattyc, really nice kit seeing it's your first one in 20 years. You also used a Flory wash. Looks like you done your homework before you built your model. I'll look forward to you 109. Very well done. Joe

• Like 1

Welcome back to modelling and to BM!

Excellent looking Spit – I couldn't discover any trace of 20 years of hiatus! ;-)

The stark gunpowder streaks look more like oil leaks to me – I'd suggest dark grey pastel chalk applied with a q-top or similar for a softer, more gradual effect.

Also, please don't publish thumbnails that link to another site! Many people – me included – are normally too lazy to bother with clicking back and forth, so you will lose viewers. Just post suitable sized photos in the thread, please. ;-)

Looking forward to your '09!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1