McLaren MP4-4 - 1/12 MFH

Thanks for posting this build, caterhamnut. Not sure I've followed an MFH build before, really enjoying it.

Please stop all your other models and get started with this one. There's a good lad!

I have really enjoyed following the previous imster builds. Even though they make me feel hopeless, they were very inspirational.

Haha! I am tempted to be honest but in the coming months I will be moving house and not keen to start up something that intensive until I am settled a bit but thanks for your kind words :)

So - managed to get almost a whole weekends modelling in, and have made good progress on the engine - usual pic overload coming up.

All went together very smoothly, with a bit of filing and bending where required, but this all-metal engine is nicely heavy and straight.

First mixed-media and MFH kit, so learning a few things as I go...

So this is where we were...

IMG_6793.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg

at this point I really have to paint before actual assembly of the heads etc...

IMG_6806.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg

IMG_6809.jpg

I decided to start small and make the clutch first - another beautiful part that you won't see once this kit is fully assembled...

IMG_6799.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6857.jpg

grubby fingers for scale!

IMG_6858.jpg

And here she is again next to the dinky alternator - I've added a bit of wash to show up vents and slots, and used a metallic pen for the details...

IMG_6869.jpg

Edited by caterhamnut
  • Like 1

After priming with Tamiya Fine surface primer from a spray can, I have used semi-gloss black acrylic.

It has gone on very well, but you have to be very careful not to chip it!!

I had a complete muppet moment where I managed to knock the whole lot of sprayed components off the table - the heads went flying. I bit of corner denting and paint chipping but managed to patch up ok...I sprayed a layer of satin clear coat on everything in an effort to make it all a bit tougher - but fact is I am now treating it all like a piece of jewelry to avoid damage!

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg

I roughly masked the heads and engine block surface where the gasket goes, then sanded them clean once sprayed...

IMG_6863.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

At this point it was the final time to see those pistons, so...I made a quick video which I am trying to post!

Edited by caterhamnut

One of the dilemmas I have is how many of the 'bolts' and fixings to machine off and replace with individual parts. Looking at the ref. pics I have, the head bolts and many others on the engine are actually quite small diameter allen-head fittings - as opposed to bolts with nuts. They are also not 'bright' but rather a sort of black finish - so do not stand out that much - so I decided to simple tough them with a little bit of brownish-blackish paint.

One lesson learnt of course is to drill any of the tiny holes I need to fit some of the more prominent fittings, before painting...to avoid damage.

Anyway, I'll leave the main block as it is, but have added some hex headed fittings to the 'air box' and some PE 'washers' to represent blanking bolts in some of the rails on the and airbox castings.

There are some quite complex fittings, springs and rods within the air box assembly which are cast metal - maybe I will try and substitute some for 'real' rods etc - we'll see!

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

I might have also drilled out these brass coloured bolts on the exhaust manifold - but having looked at the model, you don't see these - so I have stuck with the gold pen for now!

IMG_6895.jpg

• Like 1

Are they sharpie pens your using

No, but very similar. Got them from a Japanese shop here in NYC - they really like their stationary!

The red and blue versions are great for anodized ali fittings....

Great tip Mr. Caterham!

I just picked up one of these in silver from my local newsagent: http://uniball.com.au/markers/uni-paint-marker-ultra-fine-tip-clone/

They also had gold!

Edited by injidup

Right - the pens.

I have found them online - links below.

These particular ones are great as the calligraphy nib at one end gives you a sharp 'point' on the corner that you can touch onto the model in tighter places - you could also probably cut one nib into a small point with a sharp knife...

These pens do not have the rattle ball like the old metallic pens used to have - or paint pens - so the ink flow is much more controlled - just like a normal felt-tip.

The red and blue are perfect for annodized parts, the silver, grey, bronze and gold for loads of other fittings and pipes!

IMG_6936.jpg

http://www.jetpens.com/Kuretake-Zig-Calligraphy-Metallic-Double-Sided-Marker-Pen-2-mm-3.5-mm-Violet/pd/11333

...that gives you the name to search locally - amazon have them, and of course ebay!

http://www.amazon.com/Zig-Memory-System-Calligraphy-Metallic/dp/B00HVM48TO/ref=pd_sim_201_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=41V6r3yVcAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=01YC72WNBADS1F1855KE

The shot below shows where I have used the blue, red and bronze (on the exhausts!)

Not found a use for the green yet!!

IMG_3809.jpg

Edited by caterhamnut
  • Like 3

Bugger - off to China for a week or so, so no more modelling for a bit - just as I had everything set up whilst SWMBO is away for a week!

Did a little bit more last night...

IMG_6942.jpg

Air box etc just placed in position for now - next step is really the start of wiring, injectors, fuel rails etc...

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_6953.jpg

IMG_6954.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back from China, so a bit more progress...just cleaning up parts and test fitting for the gearbox and rear suspension...

IMG_8083.jpg

IMG_8086.jpg

Fitting and filing before polishing...one of the 'issues' with I guess the 'newer' MFH metal work is that you can see the molds are made from 3D printed parts - and the ridges in these are still visible. Although the metal is soft, it is hard to reach a lot of these ridges...I think the dark paint will hide a lot of these though...

IMG_8091.jpg

IMG_8092.jpg

Seems to go together pretty well though...not that much fettling. Just deciding which cast 'nut and bolt' details I am going to remove, drill out and use separate detail parts for....

• Like 1

Great progress on this one Caterham! I have decided to begin a MFH kit, 1/24 Porsche 962C (Rothmans) and its completely white metal lol!

Any tips or helpful hints when working with white metal would be appreciated bud :)

That engine is looking so good, from the build to the finished article, have been keeping a close eye on this thread.

The Tamiya primer worked well on the white metal then, I have a MFH kit and have been worried about getting a good key onto the metal, always worry the paints going to come off larger parts when removing masking.

Regards

John