Black and White Trio - Airfix 1/72

CedB

During the BoB GB I noticed / learned a lot, including a few things relevant to this thread:

• The Airfix new tool Hurricane is too early, but a nice kit. It has a nice black and white scheme OOB for L1584 from 1938
  • The Airfix new tool Blenheim MkI is a nice kit but doesn't have the gun pack that I needed for my build of L1105. This post told me that the Mk IVF comes with two gun packs so I bought the kit and used the shallow pack. I now have 'the rest' of the kit which has a nice black and white scheme for N8239 and
  • The Xtradecal BoB sheet X72117 has a Spitfire MkI from 74 Sqn that has a nice black and white scheme for K9867.

Can you see where I'm going here? A trio of black and whites. Here are the kits:

24182429172_27d7da090a_z.jpg

Usual protracted WiP thread here, warts and all! Yes, I did copy and paste the intro...

Badger Stynylrez primer for the black, AK white primer for the white, Vallejo model air for the brown all airbrushed.

H30 for the DG, brush painted.

AK True Metal Aluminium for the bottoms with dark aluminium on some Hurricane panels.

Vallejo Matt on Blenheim and Hurricane. W&N matt on the Spit (now my matt of choice).

24441243473_4157cd5b03_z.jpg

24950138662_41e63ff1ae_z.jpg

24818701781_e18c00333d_n.jpg 24616574380_aa5fd22b74_n.jpg

Even the pilot appears to be smiling:

24912017445_c4a912dbe3_c.jpg

The (perhaps) overdone weathering on this and the others is thanks to a disastrous experience with AK white primer which peeled on me. The general opinion is that it's great for armour and, er, weathered aircraft. Be gentle with me!

I also had some 'fun' trying gouache weathering for the first time. I need more practice:

24772448670_70d0081a49_c.jpg

24437412044_46a4a926d1_c.jpg

25041944416_e9c2202391_c.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Leaving the best until last, of course:

24441215393_8d90afb6f8_c.jpg

24949969752_cf0ecd38cc_c.jpg

25068309605_ee76bf8962_c.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 24

Nice set mate, they do all look grand in the those colour schemes.

Well done for trying some new ideas, if we don't try new things,

we don't learn new things,

Sean

• Like 1

All looking excellent, Ced. That Hurri must have been flying of a very damp and/or muddy airfield... I particularly like the Blenheim pilot, my favourite of the lot!

I totally agree re the W&N Matt - nice and flat. The Vallejo seems to have a slight eggshell sheen to it.

Very entertaining as usual.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Excellent trio Ced, I think the Hurricane is my favorite, or maybe the Blenheim. Of course the Spitfire is a Spitfire, so it's my favorite too.

Fun and informative WIP as always.

Thanks Cookie :)

Lovely work. All of them look great! I didn't realise the Blenheim was used as a fighter....i like it a lot!

Thanks Lanc :) The general opinion is that the Blenheim was two engines and five front guns (one in the wing) and the Spitfire was one engine and eight. They obviously 'did the math' and stopped using it as a fighter. Shame.

Stunning work, beautiful and very interesting!

Thanks Polo :)

Great work Cd, and fast mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Simon.

Thanks Simon :)

Look,s like three great build's you have there Ced,great job!

Thanks Steve :)

They came out very well indeed, Ced, and your WiP was as informative and entertaining as ever.

Thanks amblypyglid - the posts are part of the fun for me :)

That is truly cool set and a great idea! I'm finalising black/white Hurricane/Defiant duo myself :)

Thanks Dennis :) Do you have a WiP? Go on!

Nice set mate, they do all look grand in the those colour schemes.

Well done for trying some new ideas, if we don't try new things,

we don't learn new things,

Sean

Thanks Sean :) I'm learning every day (even at my age) and this one was very educational; certainly taught me a lesson or two!

They all look good but the Spitfire is my favourite. Although I'm very impressed with the Blenheim.

Thanks Simon, mine too :)

All looking excellent, Ced. That Hurri must have been flying of a very damp and/or muddy airfield... I particularly like the Blenheim pilot, my favourite of the lot!

I totally agree re the W&N Matt - nice and flat. The Vallejo seems to have a slight eggshell sheen to it.

Very entertaining as usual.

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks Alex :) John gave me the 'wet grass field' excuse for the awful green gouache for which I'm grateful! I must admit to a soft spot for Bristol Aeroplane's designs... pretty planes IMHO.

• Like 2

Thanks BB :)

What two Bristols are you building? Is there a WiP? I'd be really interested to see them as I share your interest, as you know. Just go for the obvious title - you know you want to :D

Shouldn't be long now before the Bristol collection is open at the new aerospace museum (first half 2017?)

Thanks Mike :)

Thanks BB :)

What two Bristols are you building? Is there a WiP? I'd be really interested to see them as I share your interest, as you know. Just go for the obvious title - you know you want to :D

Shouldn't be long now before the Bristol collection is open at the new aerospace museum (first half 2017?)

Thanks Mike :)

My pair will be familiar to you as you handled something similar recently, they are Valoms Buckingham and Buckmaster. I do have a Brigand as well but a manage a trois would simply be too confusing. No WIP I'm afraid to say, can't cope with the pressure to progress at a reasonable speed nor do I have the time to download, post etc and there's no Spitfire involved so frankly only three people will be interested!

Looking forward to the Aerospace museum but distinctly lacking aircraft exhibits at present, hopefully it will attract more in time. They need to get a Freighter back from New Zealand.

• Like 2

Excellent trio Ced, I think the Hurricane is my favorite, or maybe the Blenheim. Of course the Spitfire is a Spitfire, so it's my favorite too.

Fun and informative WIP as always.

I'm just as decisive as Cookie on this one. My favourite is definitely one of the three - or maybe it's all of the three. Least ways it's definitely one or the other.

I am sure that I enjoyed the thread tho' :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

My pair will be familiar to you as you handled something similar recently, they are Valoms Buckingham and Buckmaster. I do have a Brigand as well but a manage a trois would simply be too confusing. No WIP I'm afraid to say, can't cope with the pressure to progress at a reasonable speed nor do I have the time to download, post etc and there's no Spitfire involved so frankly only three people will be interested!

Much as I love Spitfires, I can't help but be interested in a Bristol Buckingham. Are you making it as a What-if bomber or a C1?

didn't realise you'd finished them Ced, they look fantastic, great work :):goodjob:

Thanks Stu :)

A very nice trio Ced, excellent work :thumbsup2:

Thanks Julian :)

I think that you should always build Bristols in pairs!!!!!!!

Simon.

Er, fnaar fnaar :)

Looking forward to the Aerospace museum but distinctly lacking aircraft exhibits at present, hopefully it will attract more in time. They need to get a Freighter back from New Zealand.

Nice. I have those on my wish list when I gather sufficient courage for another Valom and also when I've reduced my stash a bit... I'll look out for the RFIs :)

I'm just as decisive as Cookie on this one. My favourite is definitely one of the three - or maybe it's all of the three. Least ways it's definitely one or the other.

I am sure that I enjoyed the thread tho' :)

Thanks Steve :) I hope to start another soon when I've stopped dithering about the, gulp, Helicopter option. I mean, it's not even WWII... how could I?

Much as I love Spitfires, I can't help but be interested in a Bristol Buckingham. Are you making it as a What-if bomber or a C1?

I know... I think all Bristols are pretty (behave yourself boys)... even the Bombay has a certain Je ne sais quoi... perhaps it's the exercise bikes. :)

(Gosh, it took me three goes to get that past the spell checker!)