1200 scale

Hi everypeeps,

I'm thinking about starting a collection of 1/1200 ships, in plastic initially, but I have no idea which ranges are worth bothering with & I don't want to waste my money on something toy like, any words of wisdom?

Not sure about what kits are available, but I think the scale is starting to grow in popularity, and I've noticed the odd photo-etch accessory (particularly handrailing) becoming available recently.

I've marvelled at Kostas Katseas' 1:1250 creations recently - amazing. His gallery page on ModelShipGallery.com is added below, to view the list of his gallery submissions and pick out the 1:1250 examples.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/Kostas-Katseas/user-index.html

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

Hi everypeeps,

I'm thinking about starting a collection of 1/1200 ships, in plastic initially, but I have no idea which ranges are worth bothering with & I don't want to waste my money on something toy like, any words of wisdom?

I have been collecting and building 1:1200 ship models for the last 45 years or so and find it a lovely scale and hobby. My main enjoyment is merchant ships, of which I have about 1,000 or so, although I do have a fair collection of naval as well. I mainly have resin models, although there are some plastic ones available, and others I scratchbuild myself. 1:1200 models, and their near sister scale of 1:1250, are produced using various materials, such as white metal, plastic, resin and even 3D print nowadays and there is a large variety of subjects out there to be had. If you want to see the models in this scale close up and available to buy, then I would recommend a visit to the mini-ship show at the Theale Village Hall, near Reading, on 13th March; this is a ship show specifically geared for collectors of this scale. You can obtain new and second hand models there plus sometimes there is a book stall. Tea and coffee is available all day and is free.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I really wanted to start with something relatively cheap such as the Revell or Airfix plastic kits. I built a couple of the Airfix kits years ago, one was the Hood and I think the other one was the Ark Royal but they look like they are hard to get now, and even longer ago I had the old Eagle models of the Altmark and Cossack plus some smaller vessels. Revell have a few kits but I don't want to waste any money if they are toys rather than models, the Airfix kits at least had some finesse about them. I was going to contact White Ensign but that's no longer an option so I was wondering are there any other shops that lean towards maritime stuff, I can't afford resin kits at the moment so it's plastic or nowt,

cheers,

spad

There are some very cheap 1:1200 and 1:1250 plastic ship kits on here, at Ian's Kits for Cash/Heritage thread. Ian also has this USS Enterprise CVN-65 for a fiver; it is scaled at 1:1180 which would be very difficult to see the difference between it and a 1:1200 model from a standard distance. I have one and it looks quite good.

Lindberg has also (re) released four of the Pyro 1:1200 ship models. The are sold in pairs; namely USS Intrepid and USS North Carolina and IJNS Zuikaku and IJNS Yamato

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

I really wanted to start with something relatively cheap such as the Revell or Airfix plastic kits. I built a couple of the Airfix kits years ago, one was the Hood and I think the other one was the Ark Royal but they look like they are hard to get now, and even longer ago I had the old Eagle models of the Altmark and Cossack plus some smaller vessels. Revell have a few kits but I don't want to waste any money if they are toys rather than models, the Airfix kits at least had some finesse about them. I was going to contact White Ensign but that's no longer an option so I was wondering are there any other shops that lean towards maritime stuff, I can't afford resin kits at the moment so it's plastic or nowt,

cheers,

spad

The White Ensign Models kits are something Richard Harden is working on bringing back. They're resin.

The photo etched brass stuff they made has been available since around the same time as we got the our bit going again. :)