Bandai Namco 1/72nd Y-Wing Finished

I picked this up in Japan along with the Falcon whilst on business and have slowly worked on it. This is some progress from 4 weeks ago. Even as a kid seeing the original Star Wars the Y-wing was always my favourite.

All of the yellow areas have been painted instead of decals as this felt the easier option always round.

IMG_3832_zpsdjxtecab.jpg

IMG_3831_zpshlijvmnc.jpg

IMG_3830_zps0dv26bwh.jpg

I did not use the decals for the side strips as I wanted to weather and chip them.

IMG_3849_zps0fasci5p.jpg

IMG_3848_zpsdczzlrdc.jpg

Amazing detail for a snap together kit.

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 4

I like what you're doing here. I'm going to follow along, see if I can't learn something new.

I like the variation in the base coat, it's a good start. The chipping in the markings looks very good to. Keen to see more as it progresses.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have been very lazy on this build as it took me 4 weeks just to put the above photo's up. These next set of photographs show the progress a few days after the above had been taken. One of the advantages of flying long distance is that when you get home you cannot sleep and therefore spend more time in the early hours of the morning actually doing some modelling. I have not had time since to make any progress. Not the best of photographs with a single light source and a phone camera.

IMG_3873_zpswclmbh2d.jpg

IMG_3874_zpsxw4zqz4m.jpg

IMG_3879_zpsyuzckr76.jpg

IMG_3876_zpsji3uz0if.jpg

IMG_3882_zpsyvhumisd.jpg

Still have a number of details to add including the base and then I need to matt varnish everything as well.

• Like 9

Really looks fantastic, what method for the chipping did you use?

I used the Gunze Maskol and different types of sponge to get the effect then over sprayed the gray, browns and whites and rubbed off the Gunze masking fluid.

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 1

Really great work on that, the shading/fading on the cockpit is very nicely done.

Have you added detailing to the main body or is that how the kit comes? Fantastic detail either way. Got to get me one of these kits at some point!

• Like 1

Really great work on that, the shading/fading on the cockpit is very nicely done.

Have you added detailing to the main body or is that how the kit comes? Fantastic detail either way. Got to get me one of these kits at some point!

Thank you. The kit is amazing and this is snap together, completely out of the box. I am pretty amazed and will buying up a lot more of the range.

A small update - getting closer to the end. Took a lot if inspiration from AndyRM101 and his Speeder build. The base is not finished but I cannot get to the quality of Andy's build. I have copied the design for the Y-Wing.

DSC06353_zps41wmrqor.jpg

DSC06358_zpstkfnyhdh.jpg

DSC06412_zpscbggg23v.jpg

One shot a little closer. I did not enjoy painting the 1/72nd pilot. Now I need to touch up his boots etc. There is also a R2D2 droid to add.

DSC06380_zps2k4tdzcf.jpg

Hopefully in the next week I will finish the base, figures and the Y-Wing (99% complete).

My first SF build and I have really enjoyed it. There is a lot of great models and great talent in this sub forum of Britmodeller.

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 10

A small update - getting closer to the end. Took a lot if inspiration from AndyRM101 and his Speeder build. The base is not finished but I cannot get to the quality of Andy's build. I have copied the design for the Y-Wing.

DSC06353_zps41wmrqor.jpg

DSC06358_zpstkfnyhdh.jpg

DSC06412_zpscbggg23v.jpg

One shot a little closer. I did not enjoy painting the 1/72nd pilot. Now I need to touch up his boots etc. There is also a R2D2 droid to add.

DSC06380_zps2k4tdzcf.jpg

Hopefully in the next week I will finish the base, figures and the Y-Wing (99% complete).

My first SF build and I have really enjoyed it. There is a lot of great models and great talent in this sub forum of Britmodeller.

That looks awesome, nice one! :D

• Like 1

It's looking stunning. The base is fantastic, it'd look great sitting side by side with my speeder. I've got the Y-Wing waiting to be done (along with the X-Wing too). I'll probably do a similar base for them, maybe a double width one so they'll both fit on.

I think you've got the best paint chipping I've seen on one of these so far. Looking forward to the finished piece.

Andy

• Like 2

It's looking stunning. The base is fantastic, it'd look great sitting side by side with my speeder. I've got the Y-Wing waiting to be done (along with the X-Wing too). I'll probably do a similar base for them, maybe a double width one so they'll both fit on.

I think you've got the best paint chipping I've seen on one of these so far. Looking forward to the finished piece.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I look forward to your next build as I am sure there will be more valuable lessons to learn. Next stop for me will be the Falcon.

I love the chipping. Did you paint it on or use a masking fluid? So good!

Hi Jake - I used both the soft sponge and the scouring part to do all of the chipping. with Gunze Sangyo masking fluid. This stuff is really great.

Damn, that's nice! Puts mine to shame :P

Yours looks great. I kept an eye on all the Y-wing builds to help me progress this one.

• Like 2