1/48 Tamiya F4U-1A "BIG HOG"

Hi all, this'll be my entry for the GB. I intend to build it OOB, using the kit supplied decals for VF-17's "BIG HOG" flown by Tom Blackburn.

You probably won't see any progress from me for about a week, just got to finish up my current builds.

Scan0067.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Right, finally time to get the ball rolling on this build. Cockpit is more or less done at his point, I'll be getting the fuselage together later and then work will start on making any seems disappear (I hope). Not such a fan of the seat-belt decal in retrospect, think I'll pick up a PE one when I get around to doing one of Tamiya's Zero's. I think I went a bit heavy with the weathering around the headrest as well, but hopefully that won't be too noticeable under a canopy.

F7bZoDi.jpg

Fdxv80j.jpg

6ORs12t.jpg

tVODRE6.jpg

• Like 1

Bit more progress. Fuselage all primed up, and I've done a bit of work on the engine. Added a bit of wire I stripped from a pair of dead earphones to it - not the most accurate job, but it at least adds a bit of interest to the radial.

H240SHd.jpg

nQbUcUJ.jpg

b8XGYPA.jpg

• Like 4

Well I truly screwed up today.

Got the white underside sprayed nicely and masked it off for the intermediate blue. Moved onto spraying that and I thought all was going well... until I pulled up a picture of someone else's build to compare mine against, and to my horror realised I'd sprayed the Navy Blue in place of the Intermediate Blue. How I managed to not realise this sooner is beyond me. Looks like re-priming and redoing my preshading will be tomorrows task, and then maybe I'll spray the correct blue :banghead:

Time for some updates.

So the Corsair is now painted. The colours in the photos aren't 100% accurate due to the bad lighting, so I'll make sure to remedy that next time I upload. Now it's time for a nice gloss coat for the decals, then another coat on top of them in preparation for some messing around with oil washes.

CoGe3ck.jpg

zGi72Xc.jpg

dJIQ7OA.jpg

XJQw7tW.jpg

Edited by Alex_110
  • Like 6

Decals on and a quick wash done.

I had some real trouble with getting a nice coat of gloss varnish down this time. I use Vallejo's stuff that comes in 60ml bottles - usually it works fine, but it was refusing to give anything more than a satin coat this time. Ended up having to spray it down much thicker than I would like, so if any of you guys have got suggestions for an idiot-proof gloss varnish, I'd love to hear. One side effect of the heavy coats was that the paint on the canopy frame peeled up slightly along the edges when I was removing the mask, though that shouldn't be too hard to clean up with a blade. Anyway, next up I'll be attempting some chipping with a Prismacolor pencil - hopefully it'll look half decent this time - and I'll be getting the landing gear sorted. And after that I think I'll be calling this one done.

96D0JVM.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...