Pocher Ducati Panigale Build

David_64

I noticed that your are missing a part of the engine, O-06 is missing in the center of the round side part DCE-09.

You're absolutely right. Completely overlooked that. Just fixed it. Thanks for pointing this out.

Forks and wheel joined:

forks%20and%20wheel_zpseltlzasn.jpg

I have a question for Brady or Dinky (or anyone else who is familiar with this model):

In step 13, I find it odd that there is no cover for DCF-25 on the right side. On the manual, you can see a cover for the left side of DCF-25, namely I-12, but there doesn't appear to be a cover for the right side.

The result is that there is a hole on the right side in which you can see an X screw sticking out.

Is this how it is supposed to be, or am I missing something?

My step 13 is the front suspension.

Do you have another manual?

No… that's what i meant… the forks of the front suspension… look on page 17 at DCF-25.

In the meantime, I had a look on the Ducati site: http://www.ducati.ch/de/media_gallery/1299_panigale_s/1024511/index.do#MGI1024522.

The part is indeed hollow, but of course there is no screw sticking out…. I guess the solution would be to cut the screw so that it doesn't stick out anymore.

Mounted front suspension:

front%20suspension%20mounted_zpsadlgy3yw

This was a bit of a struggle, because the forks don't really go in properly.

Brady's advice was very helpful here: http://www.scaleautoworks.com/PocherDucatiBuildingTips.html.

But still quite tricky I found; easy to break something as you need to apply some force to get both holes that hold the screws to line up properly.

You can also see on the pic how poor the grey plastic looks compared to the rest. It really stands out.

There are issues with where exactly to place certain decals.

Until now, I've got encountered this problem for decal WD-12 on page 10 of the manual, WD-11 on page 14 of the manual and WD-13 on page 19 of of the manual.

I saw a 899 Panigale parked somewhere and took some pictures (I am assuming these stickers go in the same place on the 1299).

decal2_zpsmhbiuwan.jpg

decal3_zps8q6qa2qx.jpg

decal1_zpsuzuia0vh.jpg

I think this shows where WD-12 and WD-11 ought to go, but I still don't know how exactly to place WD-13.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

David

More nice progress David.

How are you getting on with your spray training?

Regards

Keith.

I am still in the preparations stage…. bought a spray booth and a small (1/24) kit to practice on…. now need a special table in a separate area of the house…. and primer and paint.

My inclination is to finish the Ducati first and then concentrate on painting for a while.

Am enjoying the whole thing!

Did you try contacting Hornby?

Remember that I messed up two decals?

Well…. I ended up calling the Hornby customer service desk and got in touch by email with someone specific who told me they would send me two replacement decals.

They just arrived today with a very friendly note and at no charge.

This is excellent customer service and I thought it would be nice to commend them on this site.

No I just have to make sure not to mess it up again!

How did you got the oil level in the oil glass on the side of the engine?

Not sure what you mean…. I just glued the oil glass in place...

this is a US market bike, but decal placement should be similar:

framedecals1.JPG

Thanks, Brady.

I went to the Ducati shop in Geneva during lunch time and took the following pics of a 1199.

These pics show exactly where each of the three decals go. As this is the European model, the decals match those in the kit. The decals on the 1199 appear to be the same as on the 1299:

decal_1199_3_zpshdchdhbk.jpg

decal_1199_1_zpseaxmmn1h.jpg

decal_1199_2_zpsk6vilgst.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean…. I just glued the oil glass in place...

Mine is completely transparant, looks like something is missing. Did you placed a decal that simulates the oil level or something?

I am still in the preparations stage…. bought a spray booth and a small (1/24) kit to practice on…. now need a special table in a separate area of the house…. and primer and paint.

My inclination is to finish the Ducati first and then concentrate on painting for a while.

Am enjoying the whole thing!

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your modelling experience.

That sounds like a plan, at least you will be able to concentrate on one thing at a time to perfect your technique.

Regards

Keith.

Mine is completely transparant, looks like something is missing. Did you placed a decal that simulates the oil level or something?

Nope…. just glued it in place… but you're right: if you look closely it looks like there's no oil in the engine.

Some more progress.

Decals front left:

decals_left_zpsgvjjue6a.jpg

Decals front right:

decals_right_zps2sc38vta.jpg

Front lights:

front%20lights_zpsic8bhknh.jpg

I encountered two problems with Step 15 in the Manual:

1. The tubes RF-11 and RF-12 are supposed to slide over two pins on piece H-05. However, the pins are too thick and I could not get these tubes to fit. My solution was to make a small cut at the end of the tube (in its length), to place the cut tube on the pin, and to glue it in place. This worked quite well.

2. Piece W-04 does not click in place in piece H-05. When I tried to click it in place, it kept popping out. Finally, I tried to glue it in place, but I made a blunder of monumental proportions!!!! Some of the glue dripped onto the front of W-04 and in trying to wipe it clean, I made matters worse. Then I tried to remove the glue with some product and that really messed things up, because W-04 turned milky and no longer transparent. It's basically unusable now, and I have to go begging again to Hornby to send me a replacement (like with the metallic decal above!). If they can't help me, I'll just have to wait until someone starts selling spare parts for this kit. As you expert builders can imagine, I was extremely annoyed at myself!!!!

Beautiful. And ... nice stands you have for the bike.

Sorry to hear about the mishaps with the glue and clear parts.

Don't know how serious the problem is, but there is a description somewhere to get clear parts usable again.

Edited by Pouln

Beautiful. And ... nice stands you have for the bike.

Sorry to hear about the mishaps with the glue and clear parts.

Don't know how serious the problem is, but there is a description somewhere to get clear parts usable again.

Here's the transparent I messed up. If anyone has any idea how to get this transparent again, I'd be very grateful:

transparent_zpslj7yytt6.jpg

Question: I can't figure out from the drawing on page 21 of the Manual (Step 16 drawing at the top) how to connect piece DCS-13 to piece DCF-26. The drawing seems to suggest that you have to put the screw in the same hole as where the pin of DCF-60 goes. But how do you get them both in the same hole? I think there is something I am missing here, and perhaps some of you who have the same kit can tell me how this should be done.

Here's the transparent I messed up. If anyone has any idea how to get this transparent again, I'd be very grateful:

transparent_zpslj7yytt6.jpg

Is the damage on the flat side, or the side with the returns? If on the flat side, wet flat sand with fine wet and dry (2000) then Micromesh up to as fine as your patience will stand. Then t-cut with very high quality loo roll, wash and dry part then coat with Future/Klear. I'd estimate 2 hours faffing there, but I'm very slow! Edited by vontrips
  • Like 2