Italeri 1/72 Stirling I

Simon

Another quick update, and two problems. One annoying and my fault, the other I haven't got a clue what caused it.

First up, I managed to push out one the fuselage windows, which disappeared into the masked-up fuselage:

italeri-stirling-129

which meant having to removed the cockpit masking, and then carefully lever out the cockpit control panel and control columns:

italeri-stirling-130

At least I managed to get the recalcitrant window back in place, with the aid of a cocktail stick and some white tack...so, that worked out better than it might have done.

Secondly, I thought I'd attach the wings this afternoon. I'd attached the tailplanes and fin last night, all squared up, filled and looked good. So, the port wing goes on, fits great, no gaps. Then the starboard wing, not such a great fit, but not too bad. Before the glue set, I thought I'd check the wings' alignment, only to find the starboard one sittiing about 5mm or so lower at the wingtip - d'oh!

Double check the wings are a fitted correctly, double check the the fusleage isn't warped, then panic.

What to do, before the glue's all set? Here's my solution - I had to insert some plastic card packing under the starboard wing root to get it to sit at the correct angle:

italeri-stirling-133

Looks a bit of a mess, but at least the wings seem to be at the same angle. I'll leave it overnight propped up all straight, make sure the glue's set fully, and gap should fill and clean up okay.

These things are send to try us, as the saying goes...

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
relinking images from Photobucket to Flickr
  • Like 2

Back again, with another update, mostly a tale of filling and sanding.

I've been busy tidying up the wing to fuselage joints, after the weekend's tribulations. Here are the upper wings joints:

italeri-stirling-135

italeri-stirling-134

The joints themselves weren't too bad, but the little fairings at the trailing edge of the wing weren't a great fit.

Meanwhile, underneath the wings...

italeri-stirling-137.jpg

A bit more work involved, but after another quick coat of primer, both top and bottom don't look too bad:

italeri-stirling-139

italeri-stirling-138

Maybe I can actually start painting her up now!

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update...

Firstly, having given the model a coat of primer, and then some pre-shading, it was ready to get some paint airbrushed on. So, Here's the base coat of Xtracrylix RAF Dark Earth:

italeri-stirling-141

After a couple of days to let that dry properly, I did the White Tac sausages method of masking the DE in preparation for the Xtracrylix Dark Earth. All seemed to go well, until the masking was removed, and I found that the White Tac had marked the Dark Earth:

italeri-stirling-142

italeri-stirling-143

To say I was a little annoyed is somewhat of an understatement...!!

I tried washing with water and a lint free cloth, and even some soapy water, but nothing would shift the marks. I did however notice that the marks disappeared when wet with water as I tried to clean them off. I thought I'd try a coat of Humbrol's rather excellent Gloss Clear, testing the ailerons first, and hey presto:

italeri-stirling-144

Very strange indeed. I'd had this happen before, but never this bad. Anyway, I'll leave that for a couple of days to harden, then I can get on with the black undersides.

Getting there, slowly but surely....

More soon,

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 5

Had a similar White Tac issue as yourself with some Tamiya acrylic recently. I'd put it down to me using a generic brand of White Tac which left the same kind of residue behind. In my case I tried everything from warm soapy water to lemon juice to WD40 to get rid of the staining. The latter seemed to work but definitely lightened the paint slightly, serendipitously for me enhancing the maritime weathering effect I was after. A coat of Pledge/Klear for the decalling stage darkened it back again sufficiently though.

Your tip on the Humbrol gloss clear goes on file with me as a better solution to this problem.

Regards,

Tony

Edited by TheBaron
  • Like 1

Hi Simon

I missed a detail on one of your pics above where you had the scalpel inserted into a gap on the upper surface. This is exactly where there is a circular aperture (skylight) between the front and rear spars. Hopefully not too late to address, it looks to be a bout a scale foot in diameter

John

Hi Simon

I missed a detail on one of your pics above where you had the scalpel inserted into a gap on the upper surface. This is exactly where there is a circular aperture (skylight) between the front and rear spars. Hopefully not too late to address, it looks to be a bout a scale foot in diameter

John

Thanks for spotting that John. Is this the one you mean, just aft of the DF loop fairing?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/RAF_Bomber_Command_HU107751.jpg

Regards

Simon

Thanks to John's post, I decided to open up the skylight in the top of the fuselage.

I'd had a look through the spares box, and found a round window on a sprue - all I now is that it had AIRFIX stamped on it, so where it's from, Lord only knows. Anyway, out with the drills, and here's the hole and the glazing:

italeri-stirling-146

I found the best way was to drill a small hole, then gradually enlarge it by using incrementally larger drills. Gauging where it is took a bit of guesswork - I think that's more or less the right position.

But, how to get the glazing in place, bearing in mind the fuselage is all closed up? Answer is to get in via the bomb bay, which fortunately will have its doors closed anyway. So, out with the drills again:

italeri-stirling-147

italeri-stirling-148

Here's the glazing tacked in place - it may need some adjusting at a later stage, but it looks more or less okay:

italeri-stirling-149

Hopefully after the Bank Holiday weekend I can get on with the Night undersides...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 6

So, back from the long weekend - been away three days and the Stirling seems to have grown some rigging, courtesy of the local wildlife (apologies to arachnophobes...):

italeri-stirling-152

italeri-stirling-153

No sign of the culprit anywhere - maybe he's decided to become aircrew and is ensconced in the fuselage somewhere.

So, after a clean up, on with the night undersides. Once again, I'm using Xtracrylix, very watered down, airbrushed over the pre-shading:

italeri-stirling-155

italeri-stirling-154

I did have a minor panic when some of the masking came loose mid-spray, so I'll find out tomorrow once I remove the masking if there's any overspray got onto the upper surfaces.

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 4

This is the really fun bit Simon. Reminds me of when I built the Airfix 13 years ago; I sprayed it in the bath on top of a sheet it was so huge! I just had aerosols.

This looks great with the tonal differences in the black, the skylight is a nice touch too.

Looking forwards to the reveal! :)

Best regards

Tony

Edited for spelling

Edited by TonyTiger66

So, off with the masking today...

italeri-stirling-159

italeri-stirling-157

italeri-stirling-161

italeri-stirling-160

Looks good, but then I saw this on Youtube:

There are some close-ups of W7446 MG-S of 7 Sqn, which show the demarcation between the DE/DG and the Night was somewhat less than sharp - ho hum...not much can be done now, so I'll have to live with it. It did however show that W7446 had an upper turret - I found a photo of W7442, which didn't have one, so I was a little bit worried about whether W7449 had one, even though the ORB stated that W7449 had a third gunner.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Next up is a coat of gloss to seal everything, and then maybe decalling up and some weathering.

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7

Hi Simon

Are you aware that the 'notches' on the underside of the nacelles have to be filled on the Italeri Mk I, The kit wing is the same as that for the Mk IV kit which has the oil coolers on the underside, on the Mk I they're in the leading edge.

John

Edited by 12jaguar
  • Like 1

Ah, er, no...! :doh:

You mean these, circled in red:

italeri-stirling-151b

I did wonder what on earth the apertures were for. I reckon the easiest way would be to make some plugs for them - I'm glad the engines aren't fitted yet!

Thanks John,

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1

Okay, another update. I've made a start on filling in the Mk.III/Mk.IV oil cooler apertures. I used pieces of plastic card as plugs, shaped to fit:

italeri-stirling-163

italeri-stirling-164

I'll give them a coat of paint, and see where they need filling/smoothing.

Also, this little fella appeared a while ago, hopefully the culprit for the the 'rigging'....

italeri-stirling-162

I've relocated him, but as the spiders in our house seem to be homing spiders, so no he'll re-appear at some stage...

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2

Simon,

Really enjoying this build. I can sympathize with the challenges you've overcome, and very smartly at that. Seems to be the way it goes with this sort of kit-bashing and scratch-building. t's like the old saying "you never see the one that gets you".

Keep up the great work on a great model.

Ed

Okay, some more progress to report, and another conundrum to solve...

The gaps under the engine nacelles are now filled, cleaned up and painted:

italeri-stirling-172

italeri-stirling-174

The outer nacelles look fine, but the inner engines were a bit more difficult, as the various curves are quite complex:

italeri-stirling-173

italeri-stirling-175

They're not perfect, and need a bit more tidying up.

So now I thought I'd go ahead with the decalling, but here's where I have a slight problem.

The kit's roundels and squadron code decals seem to me to be the wrong sizes. Here's the kit's upper wing roundels, 75" in size:

italeri-stirling-167

They seem too small to me. Here's an 84" roundel from an Xtradecal set for comparison:

italeri-stirling-169

Compare to this photo of a Mk.I.

The fuselage ones seem too big, however. Here's the kit decal, a 56" size roundel:

italeri-stirling-171italeri-stirling-171

and for comparison again, a 49" one from Xtradecal:

italeri-stirling-170

The kit fuselage codes for the 7 Sqn machine, W7442, seem too big too, being 56" high:

italeri-stirling-165

Here's 7 Sqn's W7446 MG-S - these codes look more like 48" or even slightly bigger, to me:

italeri-stirling-176

I'm a little confused by the kit's decals now, and dont want to go ahead applying ones that aren't the right sizes...are there actually standard sizes for Stirling Mk.I roundels...?

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1

So, on with the decalling. I've chosen 84" upper wing roundels, and 49" fuselage roundels and 48" codes. I've used Xtradecal roundels and 8" serials, and Kits-World 48" MSG codes

Got the decals on last night, and just went back to find this:

italeri-stirling-177

italeri-stirling-178

I'd used Micro Sol after applying them last night, so I gave them another coat to see if they'd bed down properly, and this happened:

italeri-stirling-179

Not to worry, some gentle pressure with a lint-free cloth, and now they look like this:

italeri-stirling-180

Hopefully they'll stay down this time!

Here are the fuselage markings:

italeri-stirling-181

italeri-stirling-182

The Kits-World decals bedded down really nicely.

And here are the upper wing markings:

italeri-stirling-184

The Italeri decals were okay, but seemed to take an age to release from the backing paper. The square dinghy marking is a bit on the bright side, but hopefully after a bit of weathering it will tone down a bit. Not 100% sure the yellow is right for the dinghy marking - the ones on Lancs and Halifaxes are red...?

I'm going to leave the decals for a day to (hopefully) settle down properly, then a coat of varnish to seal them, then some weathering...

More soon,

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 4

More now, in fact.

I've started on the weathering of the paintwork. As usual, it's difficult to know if it's enough or too much, but here's the progress so far.

Lower surfaces:

italeri-stirling-191

italeri-stirling-192

Fuselage:

italeri-stirling-188

italeri-stirling-189

italeri-stirling-193

Upper surfaces:

italeri-stirling-186

italeri-stirling-187

italeri-stirling-185

Needs a few coats of thinned matt varnish to deaden the sheen a bit, but I may try a bit more weathering first.

More soon,

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7

Good save on the decals Simon.

The upper wing roundel had me worried there. Just my view, but to me the weathering is perfect right now. In a sense because of the deep panel lines, I feel anything else will emphasise them too much, whereas at the moment the plane doesn't have that 'over the top' very dark pin wash look about it.

In short, it looks a lot more like a real aircraft like this.

I'm not a big fan of heavy weathering, so my views could be utter drivel! ;)

Looking great

Best regards

Tony

Thanks for the comments folks.

The panels lines are a bit overdone, but I think the lighting makes them look worse than they are. I don't mind them that much - they're quite deep but not wide trenches in the 'Matchbox' style. I think a pin wash will make them look much worse, and I've never been a fan of this method, so won't be doing that.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1