Airfix 1/72 CH-53/S-65 Double Build Iran and Israel

Have found couple of photos of ex-Marines birds

in IAF before the upgrades,interested?

Isaac

Very interested Isaac.

I always liked the idea of making one of the ones which received IDF markings whilst retaining it's original USMC three colour camouflage, especially if they dont have the extra fuel tanks fitted.

Craig.

Thanks for all the interest guys, much appreciated, although I don't think these are near the standard of my F-5F Brian.

In between looking in on everyone else's posts, going to work (really will have to give that up one day) and losing my modelling mojo for a couple of days due to a cold I have actually made a bit of progress and this picture will give you a general view of the state of both builds.

ch-53%20001_zpszm7ndhtt.jpg

As you can see there are differences starting to appear between the two models, by far the most obvious being the inflight refuelling probe fitted to the Israeli S-65 which is not carried by the Iranian RH-53. The main canopies actually fitted quite well with only a couple of areas requiring filling (the top of the cabin on both models was the worst area) which has been done. Unfortunately sanding dust has managed to find it's way inside the cockpit area and it is evident on the pictures below which show the front sections of the two models.

ch-53%20002_zpsu6cfmlck.jpg

ch-53%20008_zpsyeq7dhum.jpg

Now you just know that when the canopy masking is removed that the areas behind it will be literally plastered with the stuff, such is the luck of a modeller (well this one at least!). I am going to try and remove as much as possible by blasting some air from the airbrush through some of the open side windows and hope that this removes at least some of it. Whilst mentioning the open side windows I must point out that I have not lost my mind and forgotten to fit them I have left them out on purpose and will put them in after the painting has been done by using some Testors clear fix which is very good for such tasks on windows around this size. The Iranian RH-53 will have a rounded cap fitted where the IFR probe should go, just like the real thing.

I have to say that most of the parts for the main fuselage assembly have gone together very well considering the age of the kit, the parts making up the rear ramp area being no exception and this is how that area looks now.

ch-53%20004_zpstl6medei.jpg

The areas on the top of the fuselage which had to be sanded have been treated to an attempt at replacing the raised detail which was lost during the sanding process. To do this I scribed the panel lines and used a fine needle to try and replicate the rivets, I am quite pleased with the results which can hopefully be seen in the picture below.

ch-53%20003_zps1qux38p2.jpg

The fuselages have been a (mostly) happy story but unfortunately the engine pods are not. The two halves of the main part fit together ok and only need a little filling and sanding but when you add the "arms" which help to support them to the fuselage some very large gaps appear at the front. Initially I wasn't too bothered as I though they were too close to the fuselage sides to be seen but when I held one in place to check my theory I was proved to be very wrong, "oh dear" I said, or something along those lines. Oh well out with the cheap super glue gel which I sometimes use as a filler and a start has been made on rectifying this problem area, here are a couple of pictures of how the pods look now.

ch-53%20005_zpsadme9dib.jpg

ch-53%20006_zpssctoezyr.jpg

This might take a while to get right with no doubt a couple of filling sessions being required but it needs to be right before they are added to the fuselages. I don't plan on fitting them until after I have painted the fuselages (and the engines) separately as I don't think I will be able to paint them when they are in situ.

I have also managed to finish the extra fuel tanks which gave no problems other than a spot of filling and sanding, these will also be painted before being assembled to the fuselages and this is how they look.

ch-53%20007_zps7dgwkkbs.jpg

Oh well thats it for now. My next job will be to apply some black paint on the outside of the cockpit area which will be visible from the outside and will also act as a primer and show up any areas which need some more attention from the filler, I have no doubt there will be some. Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully receiveed.

Craig.

• Like 4

Seeing this build progress makes me wish I still had my one built and one unbuilt examples. Also a bit of nostalgia when they used to appear at Mildenhall way back now.

I still think this was one of the best Airfix kits of its time.

• Like 1

Love the detail you go into describing the build Craig, makes it all the more interesting. Ah the dreaded dust under glued canopies is a PITA, will look to how you have a go at that one as its got me a few times! I really like the look of that kit with the delicate raised detail, should look awesome under paint :) Lovely stuff again!

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, yes I agree this is definitely one of the best kits Airfix produced before their descent into the mire which they took a long time to come back from, but which they have done thankfully.

Still don't know why they haven't re-released it considering some of the dross they did churn out.

Love the detail you go into describing the build Craig, makes it all the more interesting. Ah the dreaded dust under glued canopies is a PITA, will look to how you have a go at that one as its got me a few times! I really like the look of that kit with the delicate raised detail, should look awesome under paint :) Lovely stuff again!

Thanks David,

I will keep you updated as to how successful the dust removal is, or not!

The raised detailing is nice, like you say hopefully it will look good under some paint.

• Like 1

Just caught up with this thread. Some lovely work on the cockpit. I've just realised how big the Sea King is going to be, and this thing is BIGGER. And you've got two of 'em! I have never seen this kit before, so it's all new to me too.

I'm glad you are keeping the rivets. I'm not too keen on the panel-lines-and-nothing-else look.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Nice work on the riveting and rescribing, not easy as I have recently discovered.

Thanks Nigel, it isn't as easy as I would like but it needs doing. I know the replacement rivets are not exactly the same as the kits original ones but they are better than nothing.

Just caught up with this thread. Some lovely work on the cockpit. I've just realised how big the Sea King is going to be, and this thing is BIGGER. And you've got two of 'em! I have never seen this kit before, so it's all new to me too.

I'm glad you are keeping the rivets. I'm not too keen on the panel-lines-and-nothing-else look.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, yes the CH-53 is a bit of a beast glad I'm building them in 1/72, I did have a 1/48 Revell one until a mild bout of sanity kicked in and I realised I had absolutely nowhere to put it!

You really do need rivets for a CH-53 or a Sea King for that matter as they are covered with them, no need for streamlined flush rivets when you are chugging along in a small house with a windmill on the top!

I have dropped in on your Sea King build and I like what I have seen, very nice work, and I am really pleased to see how well the original kit parts fit together.

I actually have 3 of these beauties but I thought 2 at once was pushing it far enough!

Craig.

Thought I would chip in with an idea Craig. Use micro brushes to remove the dust. They can be easily bent to shape so as to avoid seats and the like.

Note that this will only work if you have left off the doors to the cockpits!!

See you on Sunday for more selling of your

stash

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip Andy, that sounds very useful.

Its amazing how many different tips and techniques we have between us, and its great that people are so happy to share them.

Unfortunately this build is going to have to take a back seat for a couple of weeks as I have just taken on a time-sensitive commission, I must be mad! this doesn't mean that there will be no progress at all just that it will be slower, though hopefully I will get the black paint on for the cockpit area tomorrow.

I had NO IDEA that thoe Print-Scale sheets existed !! - AND I'm actively looking for another helo project, so guess what I'm off to do right now !!

Ian.

ps:

Great progress on your builds !! - gotta go, now !!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well after what seems like a lifetime but is only just over 3 weeks I'm finally back on the dual CH-53 build!

After finishing my commision, and our front garden, I have actually been able to get some time in on these today. I haven't made huge leaps and bounds but I have made some progress at least. As I said in my last post I was off to paint the black to cover the cockpit areas and I did get it done, i didn't take any pics as it's hardly exciting stuff and I was busy, today I have painted the base colours on the fuselages of both models. For this I have used paints from the Hataka range for both models, this is the first time I have used them, they are not bad but not the best I have used being quite difficult to get the consistency just right and drying/clogging the airbrush quite quickly.

The Iranian RH-53 has been given an overall coat of their Arctic white from their USAF aggressor set which I think is a very good match for the off-white used by the Iranians on their aircraft, by the way don't follow the colours quoted on the Print Scale instructions as they are very wrong and call out a dark grey for the fuselage which is way off, anyway here's a pic....

ch-53%20001_zpsemgcl5kr.jpg

As you can see I have added the rear half of the refuelling probe to the area on the front where it would be fitted, it will not remain this shape as the real thing is rounded off as mine will be as well, here's a closer look....

ch-53%20002_zpswe6ammqn.jpg

The Israeli CH-53 has received a coat of Hataka's light tan from their set which is specifically for Israeli aircraft from the time period in question and I think it is a good match for the real colour. This is how she looks now...

ch-53%20003_zpsg3jrwznt.jpg

Next job will be masking off for the 2 colour schemes and finding something suitable for the Iranian blues, oh and rounding off the probe end.

Thanks for looking in and being patient with me and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

Lovely stuff Craig, the painting is typically super smooth! I admire how you have preserved the raised details, no easy feat with all those rivets! Look forward the the schemes progressing, additionally it means your 104 is just that bit closer too :D How did your Lancaster turn out? Sure it too was a beaut.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have applied the other colours to the IDF CH-53 but I have had nothing but problems. I'm not sure whether it's the paints, as I said I haven't used Hataka before, or my airbrush but I kept getting nothing coming through the airbrush then everything at once. I am not happy with how she looks and am not happy with the lighter sand colour as it is precisely that, sand, and not the sort of creamy colour which gives the scheme it's name (cafe au lait). I have found a bottle of a cheap acrylic art paint which seems to fit the bill so I'm off now to give it a go and see what the results are like.

I shall keep you updated on the progress, if there is any!

David I cannot wait to get started on my F-104, might even be naughty and make a slight start before I finish these :winkgrin: . The Lanc turned out good (in the end) though it has put me off Airfix for a while, serious warpage and misalignment issues.

Craig.

• Like 1