Airfix 1/72 CH-53/S-65 Double Build Iran and Israel

Finally, the IDF one is finished as well!!!

And with 8 hours to spare too, not quite enough time for another one though.

I have to say that I have enjoyed building these two, I haven't built a 1/72 helicopter for a while now (used to build quite a lot of them) but I will definitely be building more. As I said in my thread I've got another of these beasts tucked away in the stash so I will even be building another CH-53, and after watching an excellent documentary on the BBC Iplayer about the evacuation of Saigon it might well be one of the Marine machines used during the airlift from the US Embassy. But that's for another day (or year!), let's have some piccies shall we?

DSC02596_zpshfx3tkwy.jpg

DSC02597_zps4zogfvua.jpg

DSC02599_zpsrqp73oub.jpg

DSC02600_zpsepxkztrx.jpg

DSC02601_zps2voxfbhv.jpg

DSC02602_zps1p7it2am.jpg

DSC02604_zpso9mhujjq.jpg

DSC02605_zps7jztgyow.jpg

DSC02606_zpss3ap5tm6.jpg

DSC02608_zpsvginowyw.jpg

DSC02610_zps9p5jptp1.jpg

And that's it, phew!

Pictures taken outside in a brief lull in today's "liquid sunshine", can't beat the British weather!

All that's left for me to do is to thank our hosts for putting on another excellent Group Build which has seen some superb modelling and all of you who have encouraged me along the way and shared your thoughts on my two builds.

As usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received, I'm off now to build something supersonic and pointy!

Thanks again.

Craig.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

hi mate nice builds is there much difference between the HH53 and CH53G ? other than the refueling probe ,wondering if its possible to make the CH53G from the HH53 kit ..

thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated. You can indeed build a CH-53G from the HH-53 kit, it comes with all the parts for a German CH-53 in the kit (such as the engine intakes) but you will need to add aerials/chaff dispensers etc for a modern one.

Craig.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great looking models. I should know. I worked at Sikorsky from 1973 and saw Israeli, Iranian, and Navy H-53s come off the line. Even saw them in action in Israel at the Tel Nof air base and knew many of the pilots there. Even rode in a converted one under a NASA contract to create a ride comfort demonstrator which was a CH-53 with a commercial airline interior. Gorgeous aircraft. Feel free to ask me questions if you have any. I might know the answer! You can email me directly at arie1951 at yah00 dot com.

• Like 1