Vildebeest Mk. IV – Special Hobby 1/72 - restored links

Patrik

I think I deserve well-earned rest after the scratchbuilding experience with the Westland Walrus vacform. So I decided to select more contemporary kit for my next build – the 1/72 Vickers Vildebeest Mk. IV by Special Hobby. Well, not a mainstream kit either, but at least including all the details moulded either in medium grey plastic (by the way, quite hard one) or resin, or included on the large photo etched plate.

P2140237.jpg

I intend building the kit more or less OOB with one eventual exception. I found this intriguing photo some time ago with something reminding dinghy stowage fairing behind the front cockpit. Unfortunately I have not found other photos from the same viewing angle confirming whether it was just one-shot solution fitted for PR (or inspection?) purpose or if it was standard feature of all Mk. IVs, fitted probably during some particular period of their service. Any idea?

Vildebeest4_zpse72aa4cd.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 7

I think you're seeing the vertical tail of the aircraft next to it. Look at the letter "K" that is visible, and compare to the letter "K" on the aircraft you wish to model. They're the same!

Looking forward to your build - I've had this kit on my wish list for some time. :)

Cheers,

Bill

The R2-D2 role was reserved rather for the Vincent general purpose version. Although - as shown on the picture below - they were far more on the humanoid = C-3PO side in the 30's. :)

vincent.jpg

On a more serious note. Recently I am becoming quite puzzled by the rear cockpit armament arrangement.

It is evident that Vildebeests I + II were equipped with the Scarff ring - as represented in all Azur/SH Vildebeest kits:

vildebeest2.jpg

From the available references it is also clear that Vincents were equipped with the Fairey gun mounting:

vincent2.jpg

I am becoming more and more convinced that the same Fairey mounting was used on Mk. IV Vildebeests too. So it is once again adieu OOB build, as I will have to cut and scratchbuild the rear cockpit.:

vildebeest4.jpg

Additionally the available photography shows that the same mounting was most probably used also on Mk. III Vildebeests - at least on some of them. I was unable to find a single Vildebeest III photo with the Scarff ring in place. Well, they could have easily flown without it in the service, because I suppose every single extra pound of payload was useful while carrying the torpedo. But there are other Mk. III photos which suggest rather the Fairey mounting. In this case all the Azur/SH kits (except the Spanish boxings) are wrong in the rear cockpit area. Has it been discussed before? Can anyone shed more light on this particular issue?

Patrik

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

After careful study of available references I made up my mind yesterday and the result is below. Left the original fuselage, right with the opening for the Fairey gun mounting. The slot for the gun barrel is still missing - indicated by the black marker.

P2250247.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

Wow, they are rebuilding a Vildebeest somewhere ?

Or is it a Vincent ?

Hi Occa. The pictures John has posted are the Vildebeest that the Air Force Museum at Wigram in Christchurch, New Zealand are re-building.

The Vincent is the one at Dairy Flat here in Auckland that is being re-built by the Subritsky family. I thought I'd posted a series of photos of it here on Britmodeller, but can't find it in the walkarounds section.

Check out my Photobucket collection starting from http://s63.photobucket.com/user/trx850_2006/media/Inst-panel-1.jpg.html then go backwards from there!

I have a later series that I don't appear to have uploaded to Photobucket. I'll do so in the weekend, and add a notification to this thread.

Cheers,

Pete M. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I'll be visiting Dairy Flat on Saturday - do you have any Vincent picture requests?

I think John's photos are of the RNZAF Museum's example at Wigram, but I may be mistaken.

Vincent photos - the rear cockpit from somewhere above would be really great - in order to see the shape and size correctly. All the photos I have seen so far are too distorted by perspective. Hopefully they have a stepladder for you somewhere :).

Patrik

Hi Occa. The pictures John has posted are the Vildebeest that the Air Force Museum at Wigram in Christchurch, New Zealand are re-building.

The Vincent is the one at Dairy Flat here in Auckland that is being re-built by the Subritsky family. I thought I'd posted a series of photos of it here on Britmodeller, but can't find it in the walkarounds section.

Check out my Photobucket collection starting from http://s63.photobucket.com/user/trx850_2006/media/Inst-panel-1.jpg.html then go backwards from there!

I have a later series that I don't appear to have uploaded to Photobucket. I'll do so in the weekend, and add a notification to this thread.

Cheers,

Pete M. :winkgrin:

What are Subritzsky's plans for his collection? Museum? I'd love to be able to see that NF Meteor in the flesh/aluminium someday.

Don sees himself as a caretaker/custodian who gathers projects and then passes them on to people who share his vision for them. The last I heard was that the Vincent was going to the RAF Museum (possibly in a trade), the Meteor was going to fly but that was shelved as there aren't many places it can fly to/from.

I'd love to make a case to get the Battle and one of the Hinds from him!

• Like 1