1/72 F-5B Freedom Fighter - Turkish Stars Display Team

I have just completed this today for the F-5 STGB and there were times when I wondered if I was going to make it. Construction went well and I scratch built some of the agricultural looking equipment seen behind the fin on these aircraft along with the smoke generator pipework and a couple of the more prominent aerials. I also replaced the nose pitot with some micro tubing. I also used a couple of Pavla seats and a Quickboost set that replaces the ducts above and below the rear fuselage.

I had decided to use the AirDecal sheet for the Turkish Stars markings but, after failing to find a near match for the red colour in my paint assortment, I took the decision to mask for the majority of the red - including the bird design on the underside. I used Frisket to create the masks using a scan of the decals as the pattern and then sprayed the red over white.

I removed the masks only to find that I was left with a sticky residue over all the areas I had just sprayed. A tip from fellow Britmodeller Azureglo helped to resolve the problem - WD40 carefully wiped over the area removed the residue (if using this test on an inconspicuous area first). Then I had some paint creep on the canopies and had to polish the inside to remove that the best way that I could.

So I was tempted to test the kits aerodynamic qualities on a couple of occasions but in the end produced this, I hope you like it.

Link to build is here NF-5B for those who are interested.

DSC00353_zps7dluxk55.jpg

DSC00354_zpsxmsbswfm.jpg

DSC00358_zpsybi0bezb.jpg

DSC00359_zps5nsoeydu.jpg

DSC00366_zpsl1ecz4gi.jpg

DSC00356_zpsgl60xvri.jpg

DSC00355_zpskxhyciul.jpg

DSC00351_zpslss7uy7r.jpg

DSC00350_zpslkhz8you.jpg

• Like 17

Well worth all the effort you put in recovering it, looks amazing and it's got to feel rewarding after the work getting through the issues you had having a great end result like that to look at, I would be well proud

• Like 1

An excellent build after all your tribulations and I like the under surface paintwork especially. I have always liked the F5/5B after clapping eyes on a pair of R.No.AF F5B's at RAF Wildenrath and admired their sleek looks. One day I may get round to modelling a Norwegian example if precious time can be found.

Best wishes :goodjob:

albamac

• Like 1

Great work with very neat masking, glad it didn't do it's own flypast!! Have you actually seen the team? Great flying but, more importantly, the BEST team commentator ever! Made the whole crowd laugh and made the display even better

• Like 1

What a little gem! It was definitely worth all the trials and tribulations in the end :goodjob:

Thanks Mark, I'm glad that you like it.

An excellent build after all your tribulations and I like the under surface paintwork especially. I have always liked the F5/5B after clapping eyes on a pair of R.No.AF F5B's at RAF Wildenrath and admired their sleek looks. One day I may get round to modelling a Norwegian example if precious time can be found.

Best wishes :goodjob:

albamac

albamac,

Thanks for your comment. You can find more stunning examples of this lovely little aircraft over in the F-5 STGB by clicking on the link on the left, including two great looking RNoAF aircraft.

Great work with very neat masking, glad it didn't do it's own flypast!! Have you actually seen the team? Great flying but, more importantly, the BEST team commentator ever! Made the whole crowd laugh and made the display even better

Simon

I have never seen this display team, but I have always thought it an attractive scheme and when the decals became available I decided that I had to do it. Had I realised what was lying in wait I probably wouldn't have started it, glad that I did in the end though.

I think that the 2012 scheme with it's hint of grey looks even better, but it would be a heck of a masking job on the underside. Maybe one day - when I am very bored. :winkgrin:

Well you've done it! Who would have thunk it, when everything was going for a ball of chalk?!

John, you are to be congratulated for your perseverance!!! And the final result is rather stunning.

This is coming from someone who is not a great fan of aerobatic teams' paint schemes... So it must be damn good!

Congrats!

JR

• Like 1

Well you've done it! Who would have thunk it, when everything was going for a ball of chalk?!

John, you are to be congratulated for your perseverance!!! And the final result is rather stunning.

This is coming from someone who is not a great fan of aerobatic teams' paint schemes... So it must be damn good!

Congrats!

JR

Thanks Jean, it was touch and go when the masks came off but with a useful tip and some patience it turned into something salvageable.