Olimp/Whirlybird kits.

Head in the clouds.

Yup!!Definitely got people going,John!!!I am in the middle of an Airfix PR9 being converted into the pointy nose Aero Flight WH793.First of the new Airfix I have looked at and a bit disappointed with the large scale sprues,like High Planes and Mach2,that need a lot of finesse to remove!!Otherwise it fits very nicely,and the Heritage B2/T4 nose is a nice easy conversion.I had no idea ,before info from John,that the other pointy nose Farnborough machine was in fact an old PR3 not a PR9,so the Met Research Flight will have to wait although a lovely Barbers Pole scheme.The Ferranti FU ones are good as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And so it goes on??

• Like 2

Well, I've certainly got the bug!! Ha!

One down a few more to go :-)

IMG_0483_zpsg7vf8jzg.jpg

This next photo is the only time I've built more than one version of the same aeroplane at once all four versions of WT333 from her first incaration as a bog standard B(I)8 to how she is now as a B.6/8 hybrid

DSC02096.jpg

John

• Like 2

Well, of all the viruses that are out there I want to catch the one John has, the sooner the better ! Keep the pics flowing, we are are loving it, the Canberra is a most colourful subjects out there and a fantastic choice for modellers.

FYI The P1081 is one we are looking at the possibility of reissuing... Shhhhh

Crack on then, while you have an audience, please .

• Like 1

Well, of all the viruses that are out there I want to catch the one John has, the sooner the better ! Keep the pics flowing, we are are loving it, the Canberra is a most colourful subjects out there and a fantastic choice for modellers.

Crack on then, while you have an audience, please .

IMG_0753_zps628y01jy.jpg

• Like 3

FYI The P1081 is one we are looking at the possibility of reissuing... Shhhhh

Good to know, it would seem there is a demand for Maintrack Project X back catalog and your particular spin on those latter day classics!

Keep up the good work!

. . . Kes

• Like 1

The problem is time. Whilst putting together an update for one of the Project-X kits is less work than a full kit, it still takes quite a lot of effort. I have a full time job, and my dad is the carer for my mum, so we both have a lot on our plate. We also want to do new stuff that has never been covered by anyone too (Belvedere anyone?). However, if any of you capable guys have an idea for an update to a Project-X, and would like to work with us on updating the masters, I'm sure we can come to an amicable arrangement, drop us an e-mail [email protected]!

Everybody appreciates your efforts and the less familiar models you sell, you do a grand job and thanks for that, as if often the case in these modern times we often think that behind every product name is a massive industrial machine behind it pushing it along. However, as you have demonstrated, it is more often a cottage industry with other more important life issues behind it and we must bear that in mind, what you do though in your very busy life is give us mere mortals options to build models that mainstream manufacturers will not contemplate and for that I thank you and all like you very much indeed. :goodjob:

By the way, that P1081... :winkgrin:

I dont know the average age out there,but most I know of who are inherent modellers are certainly getting on!I have modelled aircraft for over 60years now,from Balsa to injection moulded,but my main interest since retiring from the Airlines with their 3rd level Airliners,non hand flying, with glass cockpits squiggly wire controls,and nothing really attached anymore,has been White Metal and Resin Single Seat Racing Cars in 43rd scale.Until a few years ago there was a fanatical mainly European market for these,and quite a few Cottage Industry producers in UK and France Italy and Spain!!Now very few and those still doing it that I talk to are struggling to sell 100 units from a new set of Engineers drawings/mouldings.I have not built a car for a ages now as lack of interest out there,and the difficulty with the increase of tiny photoetch parts,has meant kids give up and ask Dads with no time,so again I find little horror stories at Boot Fairs,with some so bad it is impossible to resurrect them!It seems however that the interest in 50s and 60s British Aviation is thriving,and with people out there like John and Kes and all the rest of you contributing to this thread,are eager to add these wonderful examples of the Lost British Aviation Industry to their collections!Where would we be without the Whirlybirds,Freightdogs,Alley Cats,Neil at AIM,Heritage,TwoSix et al,and the Pandoras Box of Hannants??!!!!My thanks to you all for making my life as exciting as 60 years ago!!!Waiting with baited breathe, for the next new offering!!??

Edited by mikestow
  • Like 4

I dont know the average age out there,but most I know of who are inherent modellers are certainly getting on!I have modelled aircraft for over 60years now,from Balsa to injection moulded,but my main interest since retiring from the Airlines with their 3rd level Airliners,non hand flying, with glass cockpits squiggly wire controls,and nothing really attached anymore,has been White Metal and Resin Single Seat Racing Cars in 43rd scale.Until a few years ago there was a fanatical mainly European market for these,and quite a few Cottage Industry producers in UK and France Italy and Spain!!Now very few and those still doing it that I talk to are struggling to sell 100 units from a new set of Engineers drawings/mouldings.I have not built a car for a ages now as lack of interest out there,and the difficulty with the increase of tiny photoetch parts,has meant kids give up and ask Dads with no time,so again I find little horror stories at Boot Fairs,with some so bad it is impossible to resurrect them!It seems however that the interest in 50s and 60s British Aviation is thriving,and with people out there like John and Kes and all the rest of you contributing to this thread,are eager to add these wonderful examples of the Lost British Aviation Industry to their collections!Where would we be without the Whirlybirds,Freightdogs,Alley Cats,Neil at AIM,Heritage,TwoSix et al,and the Pandoras Box of Hannants??!!!!My thanks to you all for making my life as exciting as 60 years ago!!!Waiting with baited breathe, for the next new offering!!??

I can only dream of modelling for 60 years, I started as a young boy and gave it up when in middle teens, now , however, I have found that interest again and I am loving it. On your point of age, I too am now in my fifties and I have taken my young son along to a couple of shows and he has shown a great interest and knowledge about science fiction subjects, when talking to some of the modellers he held a very mature and stimulating converstation with them on that very subject, but, although he has this interest he does not seem interested in translating this into building his hero's, a great shame indeed.

I feel that a way has to be found to rengage the young generation into this hobby, to open thier eyes to the posibilities build thier icons, as we do otherwise in 10-20 years time this new found wind in the sails of our hobby will be no more than a breeze and I do not like that thought.

Although modern gamming is marvelous in its own right, it does not produce an end product, modelling however teaches one how to read and understand a plan, to follow it, improve it and put your own mark on it to produce and end product, skills to be taken on with you through life. It may only be plastic but it gives us so much more than it's basic sum.

I feel my son is missing out on much, much more than just bashing plastic( or any other form of modelling/hobby) and even now I can see his problem solving skills are lacking somewhat, although he is expert at creating a few :D

Oh dear, I see to have dropped into rant mode :frantic:

• Like 1

Yep, that about covers it?

Well said H in the C,

Projects cancelled you mean? Yeah sure I would be interested, as would others if TSR2 is anything to go by??

I wouldn't know where to start with updating the masters of Maintrack stock? I'd be interested to find out though??

... Kes

I was looking at the Lonewolf site Kes and there are many homegrown models of cancelled or proposed planes and some look fantastic, it seems a shame not too model them just because they only flew as a paper plane, somebody somewhere put a lot of time, thought and imagination into those creations and it would be a nice continuation to the theme of prototypes and testbeds.

Just think, more models to buy and build,....ooh, just think of the fun you could have!

A long term resident on the shelf of doom is the olimp 188, maybe it will get finished one day. A challenging kit that slowly sapped my enthusiasm.

However I can also recommend the czechmasters BP P111, a lovely kit.

Like others on here hoping for a really good FD-2 one day .

A BAC 221 would be nice too.

• Like 1

The problem is time. Whilst putting together an update for one of the Project-X kits is less work than a full kit, it still takes quite a lot of effort. I have a full time job, and my dad is the carer for my mum, so we both have a lot on our plate. We also want to do new stuff that has never been covered by anyone too (Belvedere anyone?). However, if any of you capable guys have an idea for an update to a Project-X, and would like to work with us on updating the masters, I'm sure we can come to an amicable arrangement, drop us an e-mail [email protected]!

Someone mention a Belvedere????

That would be nice.

I fully understand your family commitments and I think you do well to produce what you do already, so Thank You for what you have already produced.

I already have the BAC 221, Bristol Sycamore and Hawker P 1121 that have helped to fill the gaps in my post war collection.

More power to your elbow and good luck with your future plans.