Olimp/Whirlybird kits.

Head in the clouds.

Learstang:

If you want a Supermarine 510 quickly then WhirlyKits will have them in stock I am sure!!Also they are slightly easier/more plyable than the old Maintrack to release from the card I found,plus more detail in Undercarriage etc,so I would got to their Website.

Much cheaper than Maintrack on Ebay,or the Old Model Kit Website(Surely that also needs a large post charge from the US??) ,so Go Direct!!I got my second 508 in 2 days!!So Well recommended!!!

Edited by mikestow
  • Like 1

in stock,

This models:

WKM72012 English Electric P.1

WPX72020VR Supermarine 508 26.00

WPX72026 Rockwell XFV-12A V/STOL 12.50

in stock?

When receipt in sale of these models is planned:

WPX72027 Supermarine 545 Coming soon

WPX72028 Supermarine 525 Coming soon

?

Source:

http://www.whirlybirdmodels.com/img/Product%20Range%20leaflet%20-%20Nationals%202014%20A5%20-%20v2.pdf

B.R.

Serge

Thank you gentlemen for the information! I'm sure a 510 and a Seagull are in my purchasing future. I had the Maintrack Seagull, and it was quite nice; I had the tail, wings, engine cowling, and metal parts all done, but unfortunately it has been now lost during my semi-nomadic existence. It's possible I even had the 510 at some point.

Best Regards,

Jason

The BAC 221 is just the old Maintrack kit, we haven't done an update on it yet (and fix a couple of the mistakes in it while we are at it!), but for the price, it's a lot cheaper than the one at Yeovilton! We will be there tomorrow, so if you need some pictures of it let me know!

The thing with the BAC 221, you say you haven't done an update 'yet'? any idea how long that 'yet' maybe??

Also, do you have a Handley Page HP.88 kit? the experimental crescent wing aircraft? I have an homage to 'Johanna Weber' in mind

I see you're in Barnsley, less than an hour from me in North Lincolnshire, do you have a retail outlet or just online?

Oh no! I can foresee emptying my bank account into yours!!

. . . Kes (apologys to 'Head in the clouds' if I'm hijacking this thread for my own needs, it's kind of relevant I suppose?)

• Like 1

I just reckon the British Aviation Industry created a wondrous line of technically advanced Aircraft on a shoe string compared to the States,and I find the modelling of them relives that time.I was very lucky to be taken to all sorts of Exhibitions and Air Shows plus Airfields by a Flying Uncle,so saw them up close.I Have never found the Hunting H126,nor the exotic Short Sherpa,and once bought a RR Nene to build up and scratch build the Bedstead,but after looking at various photos,I should have built it years ago.That would complete the Jets in total I think!!!

I like your exotic colour schemes Kes,especially the Hawk!!!!

BTW A Company up near you" AARDARK,"as I recall ,were going to do a Flying Bedstead,and produced a few Resin Prototypes but seem to have ceased to exist ,unless you know any different

• Like 1

The awfull Seagull ,which I think is only available by Olimp.Followed by Avro 707s A B C Athena,AW Flying Wing,SC1,Hawker 1050,1081 1109A.

>

>DSCF4492.jpg

Wait a minute - an Athena????????? Where'd that come from? Is it a Maintrack vacform? I have wanted an Athena for ages but never knew any manufacturer had offered one. Who has the mould for that one now? Does anybody know, please?

David

• Like 2

I just reckon the British Aviation Industry created a wondrous line of technically advanced Aircraft on a shoe string compared to the States,and I find the modelling of them relives that time.I was very lucky to be taken to all sorts of Exhibitions and Air Shows plus Airfields by a Flying Uncle,so saw them up close.I Have never found the Hunting H126,nor the exotic Short Sherpa,and once bought a RR Nene to build up and scratch build the Bedstead,but after looking at various photos,I should have built it years ago.That would complete the Jets in total I think!!!

I like your exotic colour schemes Kes,especially the Hawk!!!!

BTW A Company up near you" AARDARK,"as I recall ,were going to do a Flying Bedstead,and produced a few Resin Prototypes but seem to have ceased to exist ,unless you know any different

Hey Mike, couldn't agree more with the British boffin creating worldbeating innovative designs in the post war period, albeit on the back of German research in some cases, Delta research for example,names like Dietrich Kuchemann and Johanna Weber . . . .You know, this deserves a thread of it's own, or a Special Interest Group even!!

Short SB4 Sherpa and Hunting H126? I just checked 'Scalemates' with no results in 1/72, I thought I'd seen both? Maybe not? same thing with the 'Rolls Royce Thrust Measuring rig' wasn't there a scratch build article in Airfix Magazine 'many' years ago?

The Hawk 120d was a decalling challenge! getting them to sit right around leading edges was difficult, so I cut away the first millimeter and painted that area semi gloss black, seems to work?

. . . Kes

• Like 1

Wait a minute - an Athena????????? Where'd that come from? Is it a Maintrack vacform? I have wanted an Athena for ages but never know any manufacturer had offered one. Who has the mould for that one now? Does anybody know, please?

David

Oh yeah, first look thought it was a BP Balliol, you know, before they put a Merlin on the front end??

. . . Kes

Hi Kes, it won't be in the next 18 months, we have our projects all panned out until the Nationals 2017. We do have the HP.88 kit, and would be very happy to sell you one! :winkgrin: We are based in Barnsley (well I actually live in Taunton, but my father is in Barnsley and he handles most of the business from there) We don't have a retail outlet, but if you want to pop up, and see the progress on the up and coming stuff, give us a call, and we can try to arrange it (phone number on Website www.whirlybirdmodels.com). Things are a bit manic at the moment as my mum has been in hospital since Christmas, but we should be able to sort a trip up around Easter if you would like.

Thanks, thats a fantastic offer, I'd be interested to see how it's done. I'll bring cash!

Shorts SB4 Sherpa, Hunting, H126, Rolls Royce Thrust Measuring Rig? Just a thought?

. . . Kes

The thing with the BAC 221, you say you haven't done an update 'yet'? any idea how long that 'yet' maybe??

Also, do you have a Handley Page HP.88 kit? the experimental crescent wing aircraft? I have an homage to 'Johanna Weber' in mind

I see you're in Barnsley, less than an hour from me in North Lincolnshire, do you have a retail outlet or just online?

Oh no! I can foresee emptying my bank account into yours!!

. . . Kes (apologys to 'Head in the clouds' if I'm hijacking this thread for my own needs, it's kind of relevant I suppose?)

While you are in the hijacking mood Kes any chance you can do the same with the Mrs :hanging: No problem with the thread, it is facinating what is out there and the options available and I think there is massive interest in such planes, it could even be expanded to include test aircraft conversions(Short SC9), for instance.

As regards the Athena,it was a Vacform either Elliots/Contrail,or an earlier version,that was built by me in early 80s,and the kit came from the late ,Great Aviation Artist/Author/Vintage Aircraft Pilot,and RAF Museum Artistic Director,Tony Harold.A brilliant Artist and one time ran the Vintage Aircraft Club,until he ran out of sky in a Nieuport Replica at North Weald in around 1991.A very good source at the time for rare kits and information!!I suppose no one remembers him now,but was responsible for setting up both the Birmingham and Manchester Museums,and started the Bomber Museum at Hendon.Very sad loss!!

BTW:Head in the Clouds!

Canberra Kid has every single Canberra conversion ever conceived,and is happy to share information.You can get the Short SC9 from Alley Cat,for any PR9 kit in 72 and 48 I think?

Edited by mikestow
  • Like 1

While you are in the hijacking mood Kes any chance you can do the same with the Mrs :hanging: No problem with the thread, it is facinating what is out there and the options available and I think there is massive interest in such planes, it could even be expanded to include test aircraft conversions(Short SC9), for instance.

Hijack your missus? Would you give me your stash as a ransom? ha!

As regards the Athena,it was a Vacform either Elliots/Contrail,or an earlier version,that was built by me in early 80s,and the kit came from the late ,Great Aviation Artist/Author/Vintage Aircraft Pilot,and RAF Museum Artistic Director,Tony Harold.A brilliant Artist and one time ran the Vintage Aircraft Club,until he ran out of sky in a Nieuport Replica at North Weald in around 1991.A very good source at the time for rare kits and information!!I suppose no one remembers him now,but was responsible for setting up both the Birmingham and Manchester Museums,and started the Bomber Museum at Hendon.Very sad loss!!

Canberra Kid has every single Canberra conversion ever conceived,and is happy to share information.You can get the Short SC9 from Alley Cat,for any PR9 kit in 72 and 48 I think?

Tony Harold? Sounds like quite a character?

and you're right about canberrakid 'John' if you're serious about research and experimental types which heavily features the incredible Canberra, John is the man to know. more 'raspberry ripple than 'Lyons Maid'!

The Canberra SIG is always worth a look

. . . Kes

• Like 2

The Athena was by Elliott. Wonder if Sangar have the moulds as they have most of the other Elliott kits.

Thanks. I wish I could lay my hands on one. I've looked from time to time over the last 20 years and never saw or heard of it being kitted before.

David

Just purchased the Alley Cat SC9 conversion and I have a Canberra kit in the wings Mikestow, what other conversions exist ?

Kes, once you got her you get nothing out of me, I'll be free, free !!.

• Like 1

There is a CScale T17 on Ebay cheap as we speak.Alley Cat do a very nice T4 with 2 canopies etc,which can make a B2 also,but you have to make your own for the long nose WT333 and the Ferranti FU Blue Parrot long noses,with Freightdog Bucc S1nose update conversion,There are T11 or T19 noses about for the B!6 kit,but you need to look at Canberra SIG for everything else!!John has got me doing the Farnborough Met Flight /Aero Flight Long Pointy Nose PR9 with a B2/BI6 cockpit and 11ft probe!!!!Look at his site for the most superb collection ever of Cranberries!!

Kes:Tony Harold acquired for the RAF Museum ALL the famous Charles Brown Glass photo slides that he compiled into 3 Volumes of "Camera Above The Clouds",which show marvellous rarely seen colour shots of most of the aircraft from the 40s through to the 60s when he died.His paintings come up occasionally as he was in the Guild Of Aviation Artists.The RAF Club has some as does the RAF Museum.I knew him from way back as he was a regular performer in the "Barnstormers Flying Circus" and flew the Fokker D7 and Albatross for LeisureSport,but that was in the 70s and early 80s.

I think the only person left at Hendon from that time is Richard Simpson,if he has not retired.Dr John Tanner was the Curator then,taken over by Roger Fopp I think,but who runs it all now I dont know!??Tony was quite amazing with fingers in every Aviation Pie,so a sad loss!

I left out the Blackburn and Fairey and Westland prototype piston jobs-Firecrest,Spearfish,Welkin NF2,which are all available in resin from Magna and CzechResin.They all go together quite well,and complete Farnborough for the late 40s in my collection.I also did a Nene Viking which should be still on a thread on BM,and want to make a Mach2 Viscount into the Tay Viscount,but that may be sometime off!!!So there is plenty around till,if you scour the old Mags and Books??

Edited by mikestow

There is a CScale T17 on Ebay cheap as we speak.Alley Cat do a very nice T4 with 2 canopies etc,which can make a B2 also,but you have to make your own for the long nose WT333 and the Ferranti FU Blue Parrot long noses,with Freightdog Bucc S1nose update conversion,There are T11 or T19 noses about for the B!6 kit,but you need to look at Canberra SIG for everything else!!John has got me doing the Farnborough Met Flight /Aero Flight Long Pointy Nose PR9 with a B2/BI6 cockpit and 11ft probe!!!!Look at his site for the most superb collection ever of Cranberries!!

Kes:Tony Harold acquired for the RAF Museum ALL the famous Charles Brown Glass photo slides that he compiled into 3 Volumes of "Camera Above The Clouds",which show marvellous rarely seen colour shots of most of the aircraft from the 40s through to the 60s when he died.His paintings come up occasionally as he was in the Guild Of Aviation Artists.The RAF Club has some as does the RAF Museum.I knew him from way back as he was a regular performer in the "Barnstormers Flying Circus" and flew the Fokker D7 and Albatross for LeisureSport,but that was in the 70s and early 80s.

I think the only person left at Hendon from that time is Richard Simpson,if he has not retired.Dr John Tanner was the Curator then,taken over by Roger Fopp I think,but who runs it all now I dont know!??Tony was quite amazing with fingers in every Aviation Pie,so a sad loss!

I left out the Blackburn and Fairey and Westland prototype piston jobs-Firecrest,Spearfish,Welkin NF2,which are all available in resin from Magna and CzechResin.They all go together quite well,and complete Farnborough for the late 40s in my collection.I also did a Nene Viking which should be still on a thread on BM,and want to make a Mach2 Viscount into the Tay Viscount,but that may be sometime off!!!So there is plenty around till,if you scour the old Mags and Books??

I have a copy of the CScale TT17 conversion, getting on a bit now, lots of while metal, also the Alley Cat SC9, a pencil nose T11 and Fradu job with the Bucc nose. But what I'd really like, is the Met Research barbers pole probe!! Then I could to the Gnat and Herc too,

Tony Harold is worth researching, he sounds like an amazing fella, sad loss indeed, If there ever is a SIG for this stuff you should lead it Mike, you're way ahead of the rest of us!!

Are you getting all this 'head in the clouds'? it'll keep you busy for years!

Is your missus domesticated or do I have to build a dungeon? Ha!

. . . Kes (not in the least misogynistic!)

• Like 1

Thanks Mikestow, I will check the Canberra SIG for inspiration.

I have a copy of the CScale TT17 conversion, getting on a bit now, lots of while metal, also the Alley Cat SC9, a pencil nose T11 and Fradu job with the Bucc nose. But what I'd really like, is the Met Research barbers pole probe!! Then I could to the Gnat and Herc too,

Tony Harold is worth researching, he sounds like an amazing fella, sad loss indeed, If there ever is a SIG for this stuff you should lead it Mike, you're way ahead of the rest of us!!

Are you getting all this 'head in the clouds'? it'll keep you busy for years!

Is your missus domesticated or do I have to build a dungeon? Ha!

. . . Kes (not in the least misogynistic!)

Yes I am Kes, looking for a second job now to pay for my expanding hobby.

She is domesticated, however, good luck with the dungeon, I have been trying that one for years :bouncy: !!

• Like 1

Hey Whirly (Fabio) can I suggest not comparing kits with published plans, especially when what you see as errors are a millimeter or two, scale drawings are frequently (if not always) inaccurate! The kits that you suggest are 'poor quality' or 'inaccurate' I would describe as 'challenging' which is half the fun. Have you considered diecast? It'd be much simpler for you, provided you don't measure them??

Here's my A&AEE Javelin built from a very basic ZTS Plasyk kit, probably inaccurate in every dimension but for me it's a great and interesting build project!!

DSC_0634.jpg

. . . Kes (wonder if there'd be interest in an grossly inaccurate kit SIG? apparently, there's plenty about!)

Very nice Kes!

John

• Like 1

This is my rendition of the English Electric A.1 done using the Airfix B.2 the nose from the Airfix B.57B and pasticard

A_120JPEG-1.jpg

and the Met flight PR.3 in 1/72

7.jpg

U.10/B.2

11.jpg

HAPR.9

15.jpg

and PR.3 prototype

4.jpg

Another A.1

3.jpg

2nd prototype Nean engine A.1

2.jpg

and a group of R&D Canberra's British and US

DSC01651.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

And SC.9

18.jpg

John

• Like 6

See, told ya! . . . Phenomenal !

I gotta have a go at the Met Flight PR3, I built a PR7 a while ago, that'll do as a donor kit??

Well, 'head in the clouds' seems your lifes work is before you! Good luck with that second job, hope it pays well? Ha!

. . . Kes (Experimentalist!)

• Like 1