Olimp/Whirlybird kits.

Head in the clouds.

Hi folks

I am looking to purchase models of British post war research aircraft and prototypes and the manufacturers above seem to do a good selection between them. As I understand it, Olimp are resin and Whirlybird are Vacform, what are the quality of these kits from a purchase and build perspective, I have no problem with resin kits but have never tackled a vacform so I would like to know where they sit on the vacform and resin quality scale.

Are these manufactures still in existance too please.

Also, if anyone knows of any other maker/retailer that sells this genre of aircraft that would be very helpful.

Lots of questions I know( I feel like I am at the back of the classroom!)but any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

Gary.

So, a masochist! You could be in for a rough ride.

Whirlykits took over the Maintrack moulds and many of the kits are still available and they claim to be enhancing them. I have built a couple made by Maintrack and they go together quite well. My only problem was trying to enhance one of them and gave myself a hard time. I still have a couple in the stash.

Whirlykits are also producing resin kits. I have no experience of building one although I have a Folland Midge and that that looks OK.

Regarding Olimp, I have been told that their kits are based on Maintrack. I have built a couple of their kits, Fairey FD2 and Boulton Paul P120, and was not impressed - lots of pinholes and poor moulding. I don't think that the quality control is very good.

The best kit I have had was the Czechmaster Boulton Paul P111A which was really good.

Heritage produced kits of the P1040, P1052 and P1081. I built the P1081 but was not impressed. There was a moulding problem resulting in a mismatch between the front and rear portions of the fuselage which the manufacturer claimed to have sorted out. This was a few years ago and he said that they would probably be discontinued when stocks ran out. One big problem I had was that the fuselages were solid so a lot of weight had to be put in the nose to prevent it being a tailsitter.

Type 'Maintrack' and 'Britmodeller' into Google and you will find a number of examples. Don't try using the Britmodeller search facility, as it's rubbish.

Maintrack kits turn up from time to time on Ebay but they are not cheap. Check with Whirlykits before buying as I have seen them go for more than the cost of a new one from Whirlykits.

Hope this helps

John

Edited by John R
  • Like 2

I've just bought the Whirlybird Shorts SC1.

Its resin with white metal sticky out bits and cockpit interior parts and with two vac canopies.

Resin quality is first class, and compared to the real machine [i have a real SC1 not far from me] it looks very accurate.

I was shown the SC1 from Olimp and I noticed it had tiny micro pinholes in the resin surface

• Like 1

Thanks very much John and Black Knight, it sounds like a bag of pot luck, but I will give them a go all the same. I was going to purchase direct from Whirlybirds so hopefully will avoid higher costs. One of them is the SC1, it sounds like a good little kit so time to burn some money.

We have been updating a number of the old Maintrack & Project X kits. Often this has involved putting a resin cockpit tub, wheelers, etc. Where ever the detail can't be delivered in vac. There is, out on the wider net, a comparison build of Olymp and our dh.108 kits, which gives a good comparison between the 2 approaches (the 108 hasn't had an update over the Maintrack). All of our newer kits are now resin, and most people seem to like how they go together. Not injection, but not too far off! We look forward to receiving your order :)

Whirlybird Models

To be fair, you would say that wouldn't you?

Don't forget 'Planet Models' I have a copy of their Short SC-1, seems good stuff? also Anigrand craftswork, I have one of their Handley Page HP.115, also good!

. . . Kes (worth mentioning Whirlybirds models English Electric P1b does look 'very' good)

• Like 2

I didn't know Anigrand did some British stuff. Personally I am very wary of their kits. I found the Douglas Skystreak and Skyrocket just about OK after some woek. I have a Cutlass that looks ok but have a YF17 that definately is not and have heard unsatisfactory reports of some of their other kits. Caveat emptor.

John

• Like 1

Anigrand produce lots of British stuff, mostly 1/144 aircraft, Vulcan, Sperrin, Nimrod etc, I only have an HP.115, looks good in the box, but like you say, 'OK after some work', for me at least, that's what this hobby is about, otherwise might as well collect die cast?!!?!?

. . . Kes

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

I have a deep interest in british research prototypes like you and I purchased several kits over the last 25 years (built much less unfortunately).

Currenly I'm painting an Olimp BP120 and I'm not satisfied at all: in the box it looks very good, fine riveting, many details and so on, but once you start building you find many mistakes:

-the main parts don't compare well with the plans in Barrie Hygate's bible, both in dimensions and in shape

-on checking with images of the real a/c the kit is again wrong

-the u/c doors are misshapen, all wheels are way too big

-the splitter in the air intake has a stupid concave shape note found in reality

-worst of all the canopy is too high and short and every single transparent panel is misshapen

Finally, after applying the first primer layer I found out that the lower fuselage is devastated by a myriad of small pinholes. I tried to cure that with diluted Mr.Surfacer but I've lost my patience, life is too short. After all the real subject was gloss black and this is a saving grace for all these defects!
Take into account that I'm buiding this last BP after two Czechmaster and one Pegasus (!) BP111s to complete the quartet, so all the shape differences jump to the eyes immediately.

Another Olimp kit I own is the Avro 707C: again very good in the box, but once posed over a good set of plans or assembled and compared to the real one... run away! Take a look here http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/gb/went707.htm , there are also other build online where it's immediately apparent that the fuselage is way too slim.

Speaking of the Maintrack kits, I have nearly all of them but I can't comment on the updated Whirlybird's reboxes. I guess though that the main vacuform parts will have remained the same and these are my views: their quality varied considerably depending on who made the master for Maintrack. Some were done by Gordon Stevens of Rareplanes fame and were exquisite (Hawker P.1154, Hawker P.1121, HP115, Supermarine 545, Saro P.177 to name a few). Others were good (Supermarine Seagull ASR.1, Supermarine 508, Short SB5, Bristol T188). Some were really basic ( Hawker P.1052, Hawker P.1081, Avro 707s) but good in shape anyway. A few sported big shape issues (BAC 221, HP88) demanding extensive reworks.

Based on these experiences I wouldn't say that Olimp kits are based on the earlier Maintrack one: they are very finely detailed kits based on poor research of the real subjects. They also suffer from poor quality control: see my pinhole adventure above and a complete set of fuselages replaced in another kit (Curtiss XP-87) because the resin was not comletely mixed and cured.

A last note about Anigrand kits: I purchased many of them too in their first years but I have now give up because of the approximate shapes and frequent quality control problems. With the best of luck they are very average anyway and overall too expensive for what they offer. I would consider a buy only if left with no other choice or a strong need for that subject.

Fabio

Edited by Whirly
  • Like 4

Thank-you very much for the additional replies, especially Whirly, a very comprehensive run down. I am not afraid of work, that is modelling, but I do like it to at least be buildable and represent the plane to a high degree. I think the way forward is Whirlybirds, although I may purchase an Olimp kit just for experience and comparison. Anigrand I will pass by, I seem to see many negative remarks about them but they do some intresting kits which is a shame.

Gary.

Hey Whirly (Fabio) can I suggest not comparing kits with published plans, especially when what you see as errors are a millimeter or two, scale drawings are frequently (if not always) inaccurate! The kits that you suggest are 'poor quality' or 'inaccurate' I would describe as 'challenging' which is half the fun. Have you considered diecast? It'd be much simpler for you, provided you don't measure them??

Here's my A&AEE Javelin built from a very basic ZTS Plasyk kit, probably inaccurate in every dimension but for me it's a great and interesting build project!!

DSC_0634.jpg

. . . Kes (wonder if there'd be interest in an grossly inaccurate kit SIG? apparently, there's plenty about!)

Hey Gary, British research types is a great subject for build projects, there's plenty about as you can see, enough to keep you busy for a very long time!! I would recommend the book mentioned by 'Whirly' Barrie Hygate's 'British Experimental Jet Aircraft' (scale drawings included to be considered as a general guide so might be best to keep your measuring instruments out of the way!) it's a great inspiration, as is Adrian Balch 'Testing Colours' and a recent Aviation Archive from Aeroplane Illustrated 'British X Planes the Jet Era'

I look forward to seeing your progress?

. . . Kes

does this count as a research type? Airfix BAe Hawk 120d

DSC_0568.jpg

• Like 2

Wallet does indeed take a hammering! which is why I sold off most of my stash just to focus on these British research and prototype aircraft!! Keeps the stash size managable, I'm at around fifty or so?

DSC_0554.jpg

AZ Model Attacker prototype

maybe we should start a SIG?

. . . Kes (blatantly self promoting? Ha!)

. . .

• Like 3

Self promote away Kes, my stash is about the same number although it is mainly British designed and built aircraft, WWII onwards and some varoius stuff that has been given me. I want to keep to a British theme and prototypes etc,are in keeping with this theme, although with my modelling skills I will end up producing a few of my own prototypes :doh:

One reason I kept away from such models is, apart from lack of experience, is the fact they are short run and therefore not for the novice, although I have(am building) an F-RSIN Brittania and it has to be the worst kit I have set eyes on, poorly moulded U/C, imperfections on the plastic and a warped fuslage/wing assembly so I am thinking if I can build this then anything is fair game.

Gary.

Hey Gary, all about your learning curve, I try take something from whatever I build, secret is, don't give up! If you make a mistake, learn how to put it right, there's lots of members who are only too willing to help. with enough work little is impossible, I try not to get stuck on tiny inaccuracies, they really don't matter??

English Electric A1 (Canberra prototype)

a%201.jpg

. . . Kes

• Like 2

This is a subject I became interested in last year and have managed to get a small selection of kits together. When you look there's more than you first realize.

In mainstream plastic I have the Airfix TSR.2/Stratos 4. I also have the MPM Prone Meteor on my wish list.

I also have a Pavla conversion for the Revell Hunter to do a prototype.

Freightdog do/did a lovely kit of the Saunders Roe SR.53 mine is almost at the painting stage.

I have the following kits from Olimp which look good in the box but I can't comment on accuracy.

Bristol T.188

Shorts SC.1

Shorts SB.5

Avro 707.

The Avro 707 came with the wrong cockpit and the T.188 has damaged Air Brakes (These would have been better as etch.) They are not cheap either.

I got the Anigrand HP.115 for Christmas and that looks ok in the box apart from being a bit basic.

Lastly I picked up the Whirlybird English Electric P.1 at Telford which comes with the option of the earlier wings and later F.6 style wings.

The only one I need to complete the collection of Prototypes I really want is the Fairey Delta 2 is this currently available from anyone?

I think the Frog/Novo is still around as a Maquette kit. They turn up secondhand from time to time. Lots of flash. I keep looking at mine and hoping someone will produce a modern version

I have a Frog Delta II and a Novo repop, basic but perfectly acceptable, depends how much work you'd like to put into it I suppose?

Mine came courtesy of that brilliant online presence . . eBay!

. . . Kes (still thinking research aircraft SIG?)

• Like 1

A long term resident on the shelf of doom is the olimp 188, maybe it will get finished one day. A challenging kit that slowly sapped my enthusiasm.

However I can also recommend the czechmasters BP P111, a lovely kit.

Like others on here hoping for a really good FD-2 one day .