Airfix / Aeroclub Canberra B.2

woody37

Started to play around with the Canberra this week, so I guess that means its started! Got some goodies, not included in the photo below are some seats kindly donated by John (Canberra Kid) that I need to dig out of the aftermarket box too.

1_zpsddafbhfj.jpg

I've already chopped the nose off the Airfix kit and dry fitted the Aeroclub nose conversion, so far so good. I'd planned to build as WH640 in PR blue, MSG and DG with stripes, but fancy doing a silver scheme too that shows off the graceful lines of the Canberra better. I'll reserve the decision for now, but open to thoughts and suggestions.

3_zpsjklrdwno.jpg

Here's the resin flaps, u/c bays and B.2 main wheels, some nice resin to bling the build up a bit :)

2_zpsw8ovuvrl.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 15

Might I ask where I can purchase a Canberra made by Airfix? I got one when they first came out, when I was getting back into the hobby- I've been looking around and alas I can't find any such kit for sale :(

Looking forward to this build, regardless :)

Sam

Are the wheels by Aeroclub Neil, that looks like the back of one of John's packets...

Looking forward to watching this one!

Keith

Hi Keith,

Sorry about the delayed response, yes they are, the main wheels of the B.2 were different than the later ones, the things you find out when you commit to a build, that's one of the things I enjoy about doing WIP's on here

Great start Woody, those panel trench lines might need some filling

You're not kidding Kev, I've already started to tackle them.

The fuselage has had a dose of tippex and a few panel lines filled as I'm using John's (Canberra kid's) build as a reference:

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/9516986-1-72-b-6-xh568-with-aeroclub-s-new-nose-convertion?page=1

I've got the Warpaint Canberra magazing in front of me and the Airfix panel lines closely resemble the drawings of the B.2 by Richard Caruana, but I know the references John uses show some of these to be incorrect. I don't want to get in to mega detail with this build, I chose something without turrets as a chill build, but where I can I will make the necessary corrections. Reading up on the Canberra last night, it appears that the B.6 introduced a wet wing, so perhaps the change of panel line configuration necessary shown in Johns references are a result of this? I've found photo's of the B.2 that show the wing panel lines as per what John has done in his build so I'll be copying the wings in this way too.

The fuselage - trenches filled and the radius on the lower leading edge of the tail has been tweeked to match the drawings:

6_zpsnqy0rlxb.jpg

And the wing progress:

CMK wheel bay has been fitted and the upper flaps added to the wings. The instructions ask you to sand the detail off the flap surface and mate the new resin parts. For the outer flaps this works, but the inner part is far too thick, so the kit part was cut off completely and the resin part glued in its place.

4_zpslkscdcpr.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the CMK and standard flap detail, well worth the investment one thinks :)

5_zpsygwsu5sm.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 8

I have the old Airfix B.2 in the stash so watching this one with interest. The kit is fairly accurate but the nose and fish bowl canopy need replacing. It does also lacks detail but nothing l can't handle. I also have an engine for it as well

Edited by hacker
  • Like 1

Hi Keith,

Sorry about the delayed response, yes they are, the main wheels of the B.2 were different than the later ones,

Thanks Neil, I noticed the different mainwheels on B2's fairly recently (after reading a report on a trip to a crash site of all things :( ) & having a couple of High Planes kits in stock think I need a couple of sets. I shall bother Mr.Adams to see if he still has any!

Has the tippex filled the panel lines completely, & if so are you going to rescribe or just leave it 'sleek'...?!

K

• Like 1

Hi Keith,

Hopefully John Aero still have some left for you. The Tippex doesn't eliminate the panel line, just tones it down, I did the Manchester in the same way, although these are worse than the Lancaster kit, but what I've done with the fuselage so far looks good.

Cheers

• Like 2

I too have the old Airfix B.2 in the stash. I had bought it cheap (relatively) off of eBay just to pinch the nose gear so I could finish my old Shackleton MR.2 conversion (the tail wheel is basically the same, down to the gear strut and twin wheels), but with my new Airfix MR.2 no need, so I'll probably just go ahead and build the Canberra B.2. I shall no doubt be stealing ideas from Neil regarding the B.2. Good luck on the build, Neil!

Regards,

Jason

I'm stalled at about this stage with my T11 conversion, got as far as getting the fuselage together but all the tippexing and sanding killed off my mojo. I did drag the box back out of the stash recently so this might be the push I need to get started again. Those flaps look nice, might have to get a set.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Hi Duncan,

As much as I don't like doing it, I hate it less than masking. Having written that, I'm sat here reflecting on why I do this as a 'hobby' :lol:

Hope to see you progress with it. I can see why John (Canberra kid) has an passion for the Canberra, there is so many variants and schemes you can do with it. There aren't a great deal of post war British aircraft than can be considered a world success, but surely this has to be up there?

• Like 1

Hi Duncan,

As much as I don't like doing it, I hate it less than masking. Having written that, I'm sat here reflecting on why I do this as a 'hobby' :lol:

Hope to see you progress with it. I can see why John (Canberra kid) has an passion for the Canberra, there is so many variants and schemes you can do with it. There aren't a great deal of post war British aircraft than can be considered a world success, but surely this has to be up there?

Nile,I can't think of another post war aircraft that has as many variations in Mk's and schemes, I just wish there was an out of the box kit I could use to build all the versions I want to do. It. Keep up the good work!

John

• Like 2

Where would all the fun be if there was such a kit? :hypnotised:

Done a bit more work on the wings since using the panel line layout of Johns build. The Aeroblub conversion has the intakes included which eliminates the seam. One of the wings has had some primer on to see where the final fettles are needed, a few more touch ups required yet, but its starting to take shape :)

9_zps3bksyn2w.jpg

8_zps9hrllidv.jpg

7_zpswh05mais.jpg

10_zps99iiihic.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Been distracted by 1/1 stuff recently, but got a bit more done ont Canberra over the last week...

11_zpsnrlxizcl.jpg

12_zpsqyvl9qhs.jpg

As well as getting the resin gear bays and flaps fitted, I detailed the bomb bay. Nothing mega accurate and the longitudinal bits are off centre, but makes it more interesting than a plain bomb bay...

13_zpsplt5osr2.jpg

• Like 13