British 25pdr field gun and Quad gun Tractor. (Pull the other one)

Badder

Lots of sub-assemblies completed, and dry-fitted together for photographic purposes. Tyres on limber carrier and gun yet to be worn. I am really enjoying this build. Barring just a couple of bad fits, it's all gone swimmingly. Looking forward to getting some paint on this beauty.

DSC00627_zpsyvkhm4xp.jpg

DSC00628_zpsi4txw7cv.jpg

DSC00629_zps6hjpi1rh.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Badder.

• Like 4

Almost ready for painting (more "sensitive" part and the most "determining"), greetings Badder :winkgrin:

Hi Francis,

Yes, it's ready for painting. I am going to give it all a base coat today. I'm going to use yellow. Then I'm going pre-shade with red-brown. I've still not done much in the way of pre-shading. I see people pre-shade with black but I've never been that impressed with the results, the pre-shading in most cases seems to disappear completely when the overcoat is applied. Some might question my choice of colours, but hey.....

DSC00631_zpsj7rb4ga4.jpg

DSC00632_zpsrk188pf7.jpg

Regards,

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Badder, on 17 Feb 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:Badder, on 17 Feb 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

Hi Francis,

Yes, it's ready for painting. I am going to give it all a base coat today. I'm going to use yellow. Then I'm going pre-shade with red-brown. I've still not done much in the way of pre-shading. I see people pre-shade with black but I've never been that impressed with the results, the pre-shading in most cases seems to disappear completely when the overcoat is applied. Some might question my choice of colours, but hey.....

Regards,

Badder.

You're right, I am also learning to use shading. The first kit I did, I applied gray, then some white parts, and eventually other black. But when I applied the base color (I think dark yellow), almost everything was lost, possibly because I was too "aggressive."

Anyway, I have not followed this technique (maybe it's a mistake on my part), now, in case you is useful, what I do is to give a layer of light gray primer, which is neither too much nor too little, and then use modulation sets main color (when I have).

If not, it's as easy as going up to 4 times clearer color with white, and go Tiling that apply the model.

Something I saw in a WIP of a Whippet out there now,and it is being great.

Greetings Badder :winkgrin:

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

So, I've given the tractor, limber carriage and gun a spray with yellow. And it IS yellow. Humbrol 24, matt enamel. I sprayed each component (that is the whole limber carriage, tractor and gun) from above and from quite far back, leaning the airbrush over slightly to give the sides a coating. This meant that the yellow fell heaviest on the top of each of component, and faded down the sides. Parts underneath the components, or in 'shadow' got no coat at all, or very little. These areas will get a spray with red-brown once the yellow has dried. To do this I will simply invert the models and spray as before. So not only will all the components be lighter on top and darker underneath, but they will have different base colours, yellow and red-brown respectively. Hopefully this will create a nice effect when I overspray everything with thin layers of dark green,

Oh, and I shall disassembled everything first before spraying with the dark green.

DSC00633_zpseffvbebh.jpg

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Nice OOB build Badder.

Have this part built with Eduard PE to add to it, two years since I looked at it.

This work gives me the incentive to maybe take a peek at it again soon.

Nice work.

foxy :coolio:

Go for it Foxy, it really is a delight to build.

Regards,

Badder

• Like 1

Top coat maybe goe's on lighter, this will give you a better perspective.

The Black is to high light the grooves etc not the over all effect.

I use dark green primer, but its what suits you.

foxy :coolio:

Yeah, so I've read Foxy. However, I'm very old school and spraying black just to 'highlight' panel lines, grooves etc, seems to me a bit OTT. I'd much rather wet brush/pin wash to get what I think is always a better effect.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and talking out of my exhaust pipe!

Regards,

Badder.

• Like 1

Here's the gun, limber carrier and tractor after a spray of red- brown. Now I don't know if this is actually going to work, but the idea is that I'll build up the dark green in several thin coats, allowing the undercoats to show through in places.....

I may end up looking like a right ninny if it doesn't !

DSC00634_zpswbeusd4f.jpg

DSC00637_zpsrtzdgd6g.jpg

DSC00635_zpsm9qmhtw3.jpg

DSC00636_zpsbyzudswp.jpg

Fingers crossed, and thanks for looking,

Badder

• Like 2

Well... this is interesting.....

I'm getting a lovely effect. The yellow and red-brown are showing through as I had hoped. And while the dark green (being so thinned-down) is looking much lighter, I am thinking it's dark enough, because once I've applied a coat of gloss varnish I will be applying darker washes and pin washes.

DSC00640_zps3gsph7gu.jpg

DSC00641_zpsqswnin3r.jpg

By raking the airbrush at an acute angle, I've brought out the detail...

DSC00642_zpsis7aeyxw.jpg

DSC00643_zpsho7rhwcf.jpg

The gun platform will get a good silvering on all those parts that would get worn...

DSC00644_zpsta5kmcn0.jpg

Silvering, rust and dirt will be added to this obviously:

DSC00646_zpsgof4zulx.jpg

• Like 3

I have given the Quad's bodywork the same treatment, and it's looking good too. The interior will be given a full spray of dark green as this area wouldn't be exposed to sunlight, wind-blown dust, rain, frost etc. Er... I think it's called weathering. To ease the process of spraying the interior floor, I shall be masking the front fenders, chassis and rear mud flaps with Plasticine.

Thanks for looking

Badder

Edited by Badder

That is a very interesting effect! It certain gives a worn appearance. :thumbsup:

Subsequent coats have toned down the effect, especially on the gun. I don't want it to look too clapped out!

Regards,

Badder.

Under intensive light, these look paler than they are.... The effect described above as been toned down a bit, but looks more toned down here.

DSC00652_zps1h42cg8w.jpg

DSC00653_zps8a6vjqi3.jpg

DSC00654_zpsir0gwjmu.jpg

DSC00655_zpszdzeprrm.jpg

DSC00656_zpsf67oevj5.jpg

DSC00658_zpsl3iids8m.jpg

DSC00659_zps2vvwnivo.jpg

DSC00660_zpsuzl0ubxp.jpg

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

I really like the effect you've got from the pre-shading. It's given the green a fantastic faded look.

Andy

Nice effect you've got going on.

Thanks guys....

It was a bit of an experiment and the first time I've tried it. It's worked quite well, and with practice I think it could be even better.

Regards,

Badder

• Like 1

Badder looks brilliant. You have produced a really great faded look. I take my hat off to you taking on a soft skin.

It does look like we are both ex A Sqn members. I spotted your post of the "Last Runner" on a Crusader tread. Good to have some local company on the forum

• Like 1

nice work.. I have tried black & white shading on a previous kit but i am probably way too heavy handed with my base coat - really, really, REALLY need to thin more (say it for every build)... like the look you have here, think I will try it on my version of the kit (OD I have a modulation set which gives me a better finish (in my opinion) than I have ever achieved with pre-shading) as it will be desert scheme so prone to fading & being dust blown (I may do white & brown for the shading I think - if you have colours that are complimentary to the main colour as you have here it helps pull everything together) .....

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 1