Does alclad need a clearcoat ?

Stuck

Hi , well it might seem a silly question but I have just done a paint job with this and after a couple of coats apart from a few lumps and bumps I am quite satisfied with the finish so much so that I dont realy want to go over it with a clearcoat. I have some Aqua gloss but i fear that might make it a bit shiny, also some Klear Kote Matte but I am a bit dubious of using that because the last time i did it never dried. So I prefer to leave it just as it is, but I just wanted to be sure before removing the masking.

Thanks for any advice

I've it quite robust without a clear coat, but only if painted onto a well primed surface. I built the Italeri XB-49 and painted exclusively with Alclad and it's still good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reassurance. leaving it to cure for 24 hours and giving it a gentle rub with a bit of kitchen towel has given me the finish and sheen that i wanted to achieve. What worry's me now is the sticking on of the last few bits, I have already noticed that the slightest bit of super glue can leave a very big stain, might try PVA unless any of you have a better idea.

Edited by Stuck

In that situation, I would recommend GS Hypo glue. Very fine applicator and doesn't stain the finish, although glue the part, not the model, as it can get quite stringy if you're not caereful.

• Like 1

Gs Hypo glue ordered from Amazon, thankyou.