AZ Models 1/72 TH-1G Training Cobra - COMPLETE!

Synopsis

Well hello there everyone, what can I say, having just taken part in my first ever GB with being part of the F-5 STGB I have enjoyed the experience so much I have decided to dive straight back in with my first ever attempt at building a helicopter.

For this I have decided to use the AZ Models TH-1G Training Cobra kit that I picked up the other week. I will be representing her as TH-1G c/n 34270, 70A scheme as shown on the box art. I've had a quick look at the kit and it looks quite nice, the instructions are a little confusing but compared to the Tiger Hobbies sheet I have been working off lately they're almost encyclopeadic in comparison.

Anyway heres my box and sprue shot, all layed out and ready to begin when I get in from work tomorrow!

24894234851_731162445f_b.jpg

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 3

I got some time at the bench so I thought I would get some of the Cobra done, I started by painting up the instrument panels. Then once I had painted up the seats I added the photo etch seatbelts, is the first time I have ever used any etch, but as it came in the kit it would have been rude not to:

24960497461_b95378ebea_b.jpg

24935706402_1486958f74_b.jpg

24960494121_4f5242e6a4_b.jpg

24426937573_7ed584830c_b.jpg

I couldn't quite work out how the rear instrument panel sub assembly fitted into the cockpit tub, it was only after much swearing I realised the seperate instruction sheet with the "recommendarions and improvements" for the kit said not to install it until after the fuselage halves were together despite saying to add to the tub sub assembly at the same time as everything else on the main instruction sheet. This additional sheet definately had it right though as assoon as I dry fit the halves I could see how easy it was going to be, so I added the photo etch parts to the fuselage and joined the halves together

24423152934_f93176b5d3_b.jpg

I have called it a night at this point though and will hopefully be able to get some more done tomorrow

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 4

Its like an additional sheet printed both sides that is separate from the main instructions entitled recommendations and improvements, shows some detail you may want to scratch build to add and for which versions, also shows bits you may want to sand off depending on the version as well as this alteration to the build order to help you build a better model. You can actually see the front of the sheet in the box/sprue shot in my opening post, it even shows the part about not adding the rear instrument panel until the hull/fuselage is assembled in that photo.. ok so observation may not be one of my strong points hahaha

It struck me as a positive thing though and that maybe the company had listened to feedback from the community and these were the suggestions made kind of thing, but rather than have a new instruction sheet made up they added this sheet instead.

Although I did get time at the bench last night I didn't actually make any progress as such as I noticed the engine was sitting too deep in the fuselage for some reason and had to crack open the two halves to reseat it, so its pretty much as you were at the moment

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 1

I spent some more time with the Cobra last night, managed to get the rest of the bits and pieces built up and lay down some primer. Doesn't look too bad at first glance this morning I could only see 2 small areas that need any remedial work done so should be able to get the paint down tomorrow. Now as its a trainer I would expect their paint to be kept very tidy and pretty clean so I am not sure whether to bother with any pre shading?

25022185951_ce8a9ebd84_b.jpg

• Like 4

So I got to put down some International Orange, took a fair few coats to get a nice solid colour though:

24529725943_71b54d7515_b.jpg

25063312391_c8c6a0c856_b.jpg

Did have a minor issue though, I was going to put the masking tape on tonight ready for the green to go down in the morning but unfortunately I caught one of the skids on my cuff whilst reaching for the masking tape and the model caught on my painting turntable with the end result being a broken off skid so thats been reattached and the glue is drying over night instead! Never mind, gave me some time to do a little work on my long stalled Jaguar project!

• Like 4

Well I thought I would drop a little update on the Training Cobra, after my minor mishap with the breaking one of the skids off I decided to make it a matching pair when i then proceeded to break the skid off the other side just to even things out and nothing to do with me being a ham fisted oaf you understand, this slowed the build down a bit as you can imagine, still I have the Jaguar project running in the background too so its not like I have been bored.

Tonight I finally got the green on and her unmasked. There's a couple of touch ups needing done but I will get the Klear on tomorrow with any luck!

25104208462_76e97b0495_b.jpg

24926870500_873e50e9ca_b.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the positive encouragement guys, got to say I am quite enjoying my first foray in to helicopters, apart from problems of my own making that is. This AZ kit is great fitting too which helps a fair bit!

I managed to get the few decals required for this kit on last night, forgot to take any photos though. I still have a couple of touch ups around the canopy to do, and then the matt coat to go back on. I haven't painted the actual canopy yet either as I thought the moulding was a little soft and I wasn't confident in my masking skills so I ordered the pre cut canopy mask off Hannants. Hopefully it will turn up Monday and I can get the canopy painted up and some photos in the Gallery!

• Like 1

So I am calling her done, finish isn't quite as polished as I would have liked, but for my first ever helicopter kit I am quite pleased with it. I get the feeling that it doesn't matter how much I touch up now I am not going to improve it any, truth be told I would love to build another of these as I feel I would get a better looking result, but that will have to wait for another time, although I will definately be ordering one of the other variations of this kit, there is loads of schemes across all the various boxings.

Almost all of the issues I had were of my own making, fits really nice, details good and it comes with a small fret of PE. Decals are few and far between and are ok to work with. It's completly out of box with the exception of the light next to the main rotor which is just clear sprue stretched and painted. Painted with Tamiya acrylics and finished with Newton & Winsor acrylic varnish.

Here's a couple of pictures I took tonight, might wait to get some decent natural light before I add photos to the gallery.

25125372950_1f32492741_b.jpg

25125375530_dafff64d7c_b.jpg

25328005551_fd80565a04_b.jpg

25125379820_b21071d893_b.jpg

25125383780_65d41ba087_b.jpg

• Like 7