Revell 1/72 UH-1H Iroquois 'Huey'

Smudge

Cheer CliffB.

Btw, afaik the door handles on huey's tend to be molded flat on the door, so making custom door handles could be nice I think.

Ah yes, thanks. I was thinking that myself. Quite a prominent feature (see the picture above). I may try with some wire, or just some plastic rod.

Great idea. I might steal that idea for the exhaust.

No problem snapper, I'm sure I borrowed it from somewhere myself :)

• Like 1

What colour do people generally use for helicopter turbine exhausts?

Probably best to check references as they tend to vary a lot. Alclad's "Burnt Iron" or "Exhaust Manifold" could be good default colours and maybe introduce some tonal variation with clear "Hot Metal Blue" or other clear colours.

• Like 1

Cheers Nigel. those sound like a good choice. Unfortunately my Alclad collection seems to consist of umpteen different shades of aluminium. I shall have to look out some different colours.

I did have a practice at mixing Humbrol metallics, Aluminium/Gunmetal/Bronze, looked ok going on but dried looking like plain aluminium, so back to the drawing board on that. Probably leave as is and go back to it when I have some better colours/Alclads.

Been a bit busy at work, but have managed to get the fuselage halves joined up. The 'fit' was quite poor and needed quite a bit of cleaning up. The nose is particularly bad, with a couple of sink marks for good measure. Still, it will clean up ok.

672.jpg

676.jpg

I removed the raised panel detail from the tail boom as it appeared to be totally fictitious. Most photos seem to show a very clean smooth surface.

I also started on the main rotors. I removed the moulded linkage and replaced it with, and added to it with, some plastic rod.

673.jpg

Should be able to get a bit more done through the week.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

A little detail that was bothering me was the lack of those intakes on the cabin roof. I am not much of a moulder of small plastic parts, and my attempt at forming bits of beer can into any kind of shape did not really work out.

I decided to rummage through the old spare parts box for inspiration. I found some old bombs which seemed to offer something, so I set about cutting and filing to shape.

Titchwell%20008.jpg

Here's how they ended up.

Titchwell%20013.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with that. I think they will look better when painted up.

• Like 5

Thanks Cliff.

Since I had cut away the kit tail rotor 'gearbox', I needed a plan to replace it. I didn't have one, so I got out the plastic tube and bits and bobs. After some fiddling around I managed to come up with this.

d94d3f69-2e8d-42c2-a2d7-51d256bbce9d.jpg

Titchwell%20030.jpg

Titchwell%20025.jpg

Titchwell%20027.jpg

It's quite a complicated shape and difficult to replicate in such a small scale, but I think it will pass. I wonder what they look like in the Hobbyboss and Italeri kits?

• Like 2

I thought I would tackle the door handles. I did consider using some brass rod or wire, but my soldering is probably best left to plumbing. I decided to stick to old fashioned plastic.

I used small pieces of plastic strip for the, um, handle bit, and bits of rod for the ,er, other bit.

Titchwell%20022.jpg

Titchwell%20024.jpg

Titchwell%20029.jpg

As you can see, I have also fitted the skids and tailplanes, and various aerials and things to the cabin roof.

Next job is probably the transparencies. Although as they go in from the outside I may paint first. I will do a trial fit and then decide.

Cheers for now.

• Like 4

Very nice work going on, I do like the look of these but have never actually got round to getting a kit, seeing this build I may have to put one on my look out list! :hmmm:

Bob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Blimey, I can't believe I haven't updated (or done much) for two months. Where did that go!

Well, problems with the windscreen transparency knocked me back a bit, but I am back up and running.

I decided to try and do my cockpit doors with the windows pushed down. gave me a chance to use some new tools, ha ha!

Mask up and cut out window.

upload%20xx%20001.jpg

Offer up to door.

upload%20xx%20002.jpg

Not too bad.

• Like 1

With only a few days left to go I thought I had better get my skates on. I fitted the remaining windows and those troublesome windscreens. The wiper blades cleaned off ok this time, and I settled for giving them a polish with a nail buffer pad. However they are not a great fit, being a little too small. I tried to fill the gap with some Kristal Klear, but they are not the best.

The door windows came out ok. I also gave it a preliminary base coat of OD.

upload%20xx%20147.jpg

The gaps at the top of the windscreen are apparent.

upload%20xx%20149.jpg

upload%20xx%20150.jpg

upload%20xx%20152.jpg

upload%20xx%20155.jpg

upload%20xx%20155.jpg

I am at work over the weekend, but if I can squeeze some time in, I may at least get a bit closer to the finish.

Cheers guys.

Thanks for the encouragement chaps. Sadly though I think I have run out of time. Although there are still a few hours left till the deadline, I just have too much left to do. Nothing major, but I have got a lot of 'not quite dry yet' varnish and paint on the thing, and I think if I push on much more it might all end in tears.

This afternoon I did get the gloss varnish on for decaling, but as I say, not really ready for the microset/sol treatment. Most of the painting is complete, bar some small details and a bit of weathering. I spent quite a bit of time masking up the tail and main rotors for the various stripes. usually I would have just winged it by hand, but I thought I would try grown up modelling with my airbrush. I think the results were worth it, but it did take up a fair portion of the afternoon.

Another little job I tried out for the first time was tinting the cabin roof windows. I used Humbrol Clear and a few drops of green food dye. I am pleased with the result, but I think they are a little matte, and may need a gloss clear coat to bring back the shine.

Oh, and I need to make some windscreen wipers. Anyhow, here's a couple of pics of my nearly finished Huey.

001_1.jpg

002.jpg

(and fit the cabin doors, and paint the window frames on the cockpit windows....................)

So, that's it I'm afraid.

Thanks to everyone who's looked in along the way. I have enjoyed the GB and all your great builds.

Cheers Guy's.

• Like 5

Looks good.

I think if I push on much more it might all end in tears.

No need to rush it, that's not what modelling is about. Anyway I don't think the GB ends until midnight tomorrow so you may still be in with a chance.

• Like 1