1:72 CMR de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.53

I've found I've had much less of a taste for alcohol since I've been having to take the Myasthenia medication Bill. This wasn't a conscious decision, more a side effect. I don't think I'd now have any problem giving it up completely. The same might happen with your new meds....

Keith

Given how I feel today after being out misbehaving (they were willing victims so all good) last night I'd happily not drink again :oops:

Hope the treatments go well for you Bill.

• Like 3

Given how I feel today after being out misbehaving (they were willing victims so all good) last night I'd happily not drink again :oops:

Until the next time!

Martin

• Like 2

I have only been drunk 3 times. Twice on Tequila, spewed for 12 hrs both times. The other time on bourbon, the room went round and round. YUUUUUUUUUKKKK. So I am a bit of a sook a well as a queer bugger.

I met my wife at the dairy, she was on the bludge for free milk.

Stephen

I have only been drunk 3 times. Twice on Tequila, spewed for 12 hrs both times. The other time on bourbon, the room went round and round. YUUUUUUUUUKKKK. So I am a bit of a sook a well as a queer bugger.

I met my wife at the dairy, she was on the bludge for free milk.

Stephen

Remember you are only classified as being drunk when you are laying flat on your back on the ground, and have to hold on!

Selwyn

(Trust me I know!)

• Like 2

I have never been drunk -- my metabolism, so sluggish and unreliable normally, processes alcohol very efficiently -- but (in the interests of science, you understand) once did consume five rye and ginger ales in rapid succession and reckoned myself hilarious (but I'm always hilarious) as well as irresistible to Mrs. P (she failed to recognize this, somehow).

• Like 2

I have never been drunk -- my metabolism, so sluggish and unreliable normally, processes alcohol very efficiently...

When you move to the UK, I'll take you out for some Biddenden cider... you'll get drunk. Edited by Beard
  • Like 2

Sorry guys, I'd like to join the alcohol conversation but I've been in a bit of a bad spot for the last few days. Hopefully I'll pull out of this soon!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. What I'd really like to do is get back working on the Sea Venom, but the withdrawal makes my hands tremble too much for that right now. :(

PPS. You can keep your conversation going - I can still read! :)

• Like 4

Sorry guys, I'd like to join the alcohol conversation but I've been in a bit of a bad spot for the last few days. Hopefully I'll pull out of this soon!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. What I'd really like to do is get back working on the Sea Venom, but the withdrawal makes my hands tremble too much for that right now. :(

Fingers crossed Bill. Its a mighty impressive thing you're doing.

Remember you are only classified as being drunk when you are laying flat on your back on the ground, and have to hold on!

Selwyn

(Trust me I know!)

Falling asleep on the floor of the Officers Mess corridor at the end of Friday night - after happy hour - was an unfortunate speciality if mine as a youngster.

I even managed it on the beach in Gibraltar once.

We took 4 jets down to Gib for the Officers Mess Summer Ball. Landed - changed into mess kit (hopefully having showered first - but that is not a given if the bar was already open) - went to happy hour - then I woke up on the beach dressed in my mess kit. I never got as far as the Ball. Or if I did I don't remember it. Bit of a waste really...........

It took a while - but I eventually learned to pace myself.........and nowadays I don't drink much (my lifetime alcohol consumption - averaged out - might even, by now, be fairly modest!)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 8

Hang on in there Bill - you're on a bit of a roller coaster but they do all stop eventually.

Oh - my ex used to call that drunk, hanging onto the bed feeling the 'whirly pit' and swore that putting one foot on the floor cured it...... Never managed it myself! The foot on the floor bit - I can get to the spinning stage really easily!!

• Like 1

We took 4 jets down to Gib for the Officers Mess Summer Ball.

Well, those really were the days eh?! Having the Officers Mess Summer Ball in Gib - & having your own private executive jet to get there!

Chin up Bill, you'll be back to that 'ickle Venom in no time!

Keith

• Like 1

That was the nice thing about the Dom, you could lob in to some Summer Ball/Xmas Draw/Officer's Mess Function somewhere and not have to put your Mess Kit in a baggage pod (and get it all creased up).

Additionally if you went to Bruggen/Laarbruch/Gib/Akrotiri you had plenty of space for Duty Frees :P

Falling asleep in Corridors/The Bar/Anterooms/Wherever was never a good idea at that secret Truckie Base somewhere in Darkest Wiltshire - people got half their moustaches or a single eyebrow shaved off for commiting that heinous crime!

(We Irish have extra genes for the Gamma GT enzyme which detoxes alcohol, that's why we can yam sing so much Poitín!)

PS: Hang in there Bill. :)

• Like 4

One eyebrow?

I bless the relevant gods that my service colleagues were never so unrestrained....

hur hur hur ;)

Some places I woke up were rather indescribable

So I won't

Ever

Bill I am in no place to advise you on the incahol assue as I have just been indulging but absence of all that's bad?

Just to keep getting heads like mine tomorrow?

no brainer mate

Get better, stay better and sod the drink I say

And after needing two tin knees I feel I know the deep seated pain stuff (in) tolerably well

I'm going to enjoy the Sea Venom coming along and knocking us out sooner or later

I can wait mate ;)

• Like 2

Cheers,

Bill

I had to virtually give up alcohol (I am allowed the occasional glass of wine - which usually works out at about 1 or 2 per month) 15 years ago when I went on to high doses of Methotrexate (for psoriatic arthritis, the reason I was grounded for my final months in the RN). I can now honestly say that I don't miss it - and I certainly don't miss the mornings after. I found that the prospect of no alcohol was much worse than the reality; you think you're going to feel left out, or not be able to relax properly, or whatever, but it's all rubbish.

Occasionally, on nights when everyone else is sh*tfaced and the jokes are not as hilarious to the one sober bloke in the room as they are to everyone else, I wish I could still booze like I did when I was younger. But that's very rare - and far outweighed by the benefits brought by the medicine. Put it this way; in 1997 I sometimes had to walk with a Zimmer frame, and now I have almost no symptoms at all. Not drinking is a price worth paying.

You will find the same. Hang in there; you're doing brilliantly and we're all behind you.

• Like 5

Thanks, everyone. Today is a pretty good day and I'm going to try some modelling on the Sea Venom. We'll see how it goes.

Tomorrow is D-Day for the Fentanyl. No more patches! I will have weaned myself down from 200mcg to nothing in just a few weeks. It's been bloody awful. I've increased my dose of Oxycodone slightly to help counter the reduction of the Fentanyl, and we just increased the Clonodine which fights the withdrawal. Next, I get a week to wean down the Oxycodone before we start the new meds. I don't have to get off of it completely as I need to be in withdrawal when we start the new stuff. I may have to check myself in for this part, as doc says it will be the worst yet. But I can do it!

The new med is called Suboxone, and it is a semi-opiate. It's much less addictive and has fewer side effects. We'll use it for pain management and to continue to fight any withdrawal. I've gone back to physio to build up my core strength which I think will help a lot, and should help me reduce the dosage of Suboxone in the future.

This is a long journey, mates.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8