1:72 CMR de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.53

Just caught up with all this Bill, superb as usual....just to echo others best of British, (well OK Anglo-American) luck with the treatment, hope you're back into the fray before long.....and from a medical standpoint yes beer is most definitely part of the recuperation process...

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone! I managed to spend some time last night with the Sea Venom, and I finished sanding down those wing bolt covers, as well as adding the intake on top of the fuselage just aft of the rear canopy. Once I was satisfied with the fuselage, I gave it one more coat of Gunze H333 Extra Dark Sea Grey in the appropriate areas.

Next, I cleaned up the outer wing segments and added the photoetch wing fences. CMR cast a raised line where the fences attach, and based on the size and shape of the photoetch pieces, the fence must set on top of this raised line. OK, but this means I will have to blend the two together somehow. To be honest, I think they should have cast an engraved line, or trench, that the photoetch piece could go into. Easier to attach, and would also give a much stronger bond.

100_7008

I also detached and cleaned up all of the landing gear doors. From looking at reference photos, the wing tanks had a navigation light on their forward tip, as well as a fuel jettison pipe at the rear. CMR have cast the jettison pipe, but it doesn't look like they've done anything with the navigation lights. My port tank has a small hole (could just be a casting pinhole) on the forward tip, and the starboard tank has nothing. I'll have to figure out a way to add some lights.

Today, I will continue painting the fuselage. Before I mask it off for the application of the Sky, I plan on using some Gunze H331 Dark Sea Grey and do some past shading (well, post-chalking actually). I used this technique on my Gannet, Buccaneer, and Scimitar and it worked well. Gunze's H333 Extra Dark Sea Grey is indeed very dark, and most likely is intended to represent the colour when it was freshly applied. The colour chalked up quickly once in service, though, and didn't stay this dark for long.

After the Dark Sea Grey, I'll mask off the demarcation line and add the Sky. Slowly but surely, we're getting closer to the finish. Sorry for the lengthy timeout in the middle of the build for my detox and rehab, but some things have a priority! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

Nice work bill, and great to have you back at it.

How very British of you to apologise for the delay.... Even though it was for something so serious you still apologise for the inconvenience!! Do you queue at stores over there to. No doubt you are on the right forum Bill

Rob

• Like 4

On 4/23/2016 at 11:42, rob85 said:

How very British of you to apologise for the delay.... Even though it was for something so serious you still apologise for the inconvenience!! Do you queue at stores over there to. No doubt you are on the right forum Bill

On 4/23/2016 at 11:53, Beard said:

I assume you have some English ancestory, Bill, because you're apologising for things that don't need apologises.

Yes, indeed! My ancestors originally came from Wales, near the Caernarfon area. But they came across the Atlantic a long time ago - 1638 to be exact, on the good ship Diligent. At the time of their emigration, they were living in Hingham, Norfolk.

Do we queue in stores over here? Let's just say that I'm the guy waiting patiently in line whilst all the others are bashing down doors, pushing each other out of the way, and in general misbehaving in order to get some discounted electronic gadget on Black Friday. I prefer to skip all of that and pay full price.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

Good on ya' Bill, she's looking particularly good. I'm with you on th eengravd line for the wing fence. Why would you want to add a paised line??? Keep up the good work.

Colin

• Like 1

I got the Black Friday T-shirt in Batavia about 7 years ago.

NEVER AGAIN!

I couldn't get my head around having finished shopping just as the sun came up.

Glad you are feeling better Bill. Great work on the Sea Venom too. :)

• Like 1

Here is what she looks like with some Dark Sea Grey randomly applied on the topsides:

100_7013

100_7011

Now for the fine art of masking - there are some interesting curves on the booms and the nose. I've got to find a way to make sure that they are symmetric side to side. Sounds like time for some templates.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

Yes, indeed! My ancestors originally came from Wales, near the Caernarfon area.

Bill

Erm..........we may be (distantly) related!

My mother's side comes from Llanaelhaearn half way between Caernarfon and Pwllheli.

Croeso!

Trevor

• Like 2

Nice work Bill and great to see you getting some modelling done again. It also sounds like we ought to make you an honorary Brit!

Martin

• Like 1

On 4/23/2016 at 16:09, Max Headroom said:

Erm..........we may be (distantly) related!

My mother's side comes from Llanaelhaearn half way between Caernarfon and Pwllheli.

Croeso!

Hmmm...Headroom doesn't sound very Welsh to me. :)

My grandfather, Albert Gilman, spent a lot of time and money documenting the family tree after he retired, including several trips to the UK to look at old church records, make rubbings of gravestones - all that cool stuff. The farthest back he could go was the early 1500s, when an Edward Gilman married Rose Rysse in Caston, Norfolk. However, he also learned of bloodlines going into Wales all the way back to the 800s. The ancestor at this time was Cilmin Troed Dhu, who lost a leg to gangrene after being wounded in battle. To this day, the Gilman Coat of Arms features a black leg.

The link between Cilmin and the Gilmans of Norfolk is supposedly contained in a list of descendants of Cilmin preserved in the British Library (Harleian Manuscript No. 1960). My favourite part on our Coat of Arms is the motto "If God Be With Us What Can Avail Against Us." Well, unless you end up with gangrene in your leg, of course.

On 4/23/2016 at 16:44, NAVY870 said:

The wing fences are rivetted onto the top surface of the wing, there is a small gap on the real thing.

No fairing required :)

That's great news, as I was having a devilishly hard time trying to fair them together. Barkeep, another Scotch! :)

On 4/23/2016 at 17:44, martin hale said:

Nice work Bill and great to see you getting some modelling done again. It also sounds like we ought to make you an honorary Brit!

Depending on what happens in the 2016 US election, you may have to make me a real Brit! Procopius and I can come over together.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

On 4/23/2016 at 16:44, NAVY870 said:

The wing fences are rivetted onto the top surface of the wing, there is a small gap on the real thing.

No fairing required :)

Hi Steve,

I have two more dumb questions:

Are the areas inside the wingfold and underneath the flaps painted aluminium?

At the front of the aircraft, is the EDSG paint completely round where it touches the black nose cone, or is there a portion that is a straight line against the black? I don't have any good photos that show this area from above, so it's difficult to see how the curve of the EDSG and the black nose cone come together.

Thanks!

Bill

"My favourite part on our Coat of Arms is the motto "If God Be With Us What Can Avail Against Us." Well, unless you end up with gangrene in your leg, of course."

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a family coat of arms. that is something invented by companies to sell more souvenirs. A coat of arms was, and still is, assigned to one person, and only one person at a time is entitled to use it. It is often passed down to the eldest son, but still only the one person is entitled to use it. There could be many different coats of arms assigned to different people with the same surname.

Having said that, it's extremely unusual to be able to trace ancestry back that far accurately. My family all lived in the same village in Germany (and still do!) and German church records are extremely good, but I can still only go back to the late 1600's! Kudos for that!

Ian

• Like 1

Depending on what happens in the 2016 US election, you may have to make me a real Brit! Procopius and I can come over together.

Yeah, no kidding. I can still fit into some larger types of suitcase, if need be.

• Like 7

I love that post-shading! :clap: Nicely and tastefully done! :worthy:

Ciao

I love that post shading too!!!

We've just had a pretty darned impressive US politician spending a few days over here making our bunch look and sound just a little bit naff :)

• Like 4

On 4/23/2016 at 21:53, NAVY870 said:

Wingfold inners are painted aluminium (silver)

Flap bays are the same, flaps are sky

Paint demarcation on WZ.897 onboard the Battlestar

WZ-897_zps8bri36qd.jpg

Perfect! That is exactly what I need to know. I never would have guessed that a little strip of Sky remains in-between the black nose and the EDSG. :):)

The demarcation between the EDSG and Sky on the booms looks much different to the photos of WZ895 after she was restored. Is the pattern in the above photo typical of when she was in service? The kit instructions don't show black leading edges to the flying surfaces, either. Should I plan on painting those? And what are the red areas near the flaps and speed brakes? Warning stripes?

I know, I know, more crazy questions. I just want to make sure I get it right!

Cheers,

Bill