1:72 CMR de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.53

Absolutely wonderful news that you're through it. It sounds very scary, anyone even thinking about trying opiates for "fun" should read some of your posts here....

Onwards and upwards!

Ian

• Like 2

Great to hear you've beat the opiates Bill. You're a stronger man than me. I'm struggling with quitting smoking at the moment, and having just read all your posts, it has given me the strength to carry on.

I salute you sir.

You're an inspiration to us all.

Matt

• Like 1

Dear Bill,

I am sure I speak for all of us when I mark your courage, strength of mind and determination in overcoming this beast that we do not normally recognise among us

Sir, I doff my hat to you

And you're a damned fine modeller too

Please carry on, in your own time

All the very best

Geoff

• Like 3

Dear Bill,

I am sure I speak for all of us when I mark your courage, strength of mind and determination in overcoming this beast that we do not normally recognise among us

Sir, I doff my hat to you

And you're a damned fine modeller too

Please carry on, in your own time

All the very best

Geoff

+1

Roger

• Like 1

Quick update - I'm a few days into my "opiate free" life, and I've started to get some side effects from the Suboxone. Nothing major, just minor headaches and a slight feeling that I've taken a new drug. You know, kind of a doped feeling. Those are the most noticeable, but there are others. I'm told they will go away as my body gets used to this stuff. And speaking of going away, I don't have that hand tremor anymore, so I should be good to have another go at the Sea Venom. Maybe if I start smelling some good old Mr. Color it will counteract the side effects! :banghead:

I drove over to Buffalo yesterday for the Buffcon model contest. (I think that is the silliest name for a contest - it sounds like something else is on display!) I've haven't built much lately, but my Fairey Firefly mit Folden Flügel took home a Gold, my USMC Phantom a Silver, and my Buccaneer a Bronze. Fair judging, I got beat by superior models, no doubt about it. I don't know how they even judged the armour categories - so many entries and all amazing!

OK, I'm off to my workbench! :frantic:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Thanks for all the wonderful words of encouragement! You guys rock!

• Like 11

USMC Phantom? Has that made an appearance on here Bill? If it has Mr. Unobservant here missed it!

Good to hear that it sounds like you're getting a lot better, must have been one hell of a struggle.

ATB

Keith

PS - meant to say congrats on the awards, but itchy trigger finger pressed post too soon!

• Like 1

Great to hear you're doing ok Bill & well done at Buffcon. I hope you resisted any temptation to point out the slightly odd (to us Brits anyway) name!

I'm chuckling to myself imagining what Graham Chapman could have made out of the name......

Gavin

• Like 2

On 4/11/2016 at 17:50, keefr22 said:

USMC Phantom? Has that made an appearance on here Bill? If it has Mr. Unobservant here missed it!

It was part of a recent Group Build, and it's easy to miss those. Here it is:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985860-172-hasegawa-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4s-phantom-ii-vmfa-321-hells-angels/

If I had to guess, I've built more Phantoms than anything. Probably 25 or so, going back to my youth. I did a commission build once, with five 1:48 Hasegawa Phantoms, all in different marks (B, J, E, RF, and G). I remember the J had raised panel lines for some reason, while the others didn't. I wonder if that guy still has them...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Buffcom

Oh boy now I know why the Birmingham IPMS back in the early eighties called our Show MODEX

Brummcom sound like a kid playing with toy cars and Buffcom isn't a lot better

But what is good is your medication news

And because I'm a modeller the competition does matter ;) and you have won no less than you deserve

Well done Bill, very well done

(in all respects)

• Like 1

It was part of a recent Group Build, and it's easy to miss those.

Thanks Bill, as soon as I opened the link I remembered it!! So maybe it's my memory rather than observation skills that's failing the faster! I'd even given the Toom a 'like'.....!!! :banghead:

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Bill. Well done on the Gold, Silver and Bronze awards - a complete set! Well done!

Hope today finds you making more progress with your health.

Kind regard,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks everybody! :)

Well, believe it or not I've actually been working on the Sea Venom. Did I ever tell you that I hate vacuforms? Of all kinds? So I've already told you that I needed to use both of the vacuform canopies that came with the kit since I buggered up one of the cuts I was making. No problem, that's why they give you two. And then I mentioned that the canopy was a wee bit wider than the fuselage, so I had to carefully use CA adhesive one side at a time, to make sure that I could "squeeze" it together to match the fuselage width. Then, of course, I decided to blend the canopy into the fuselage like I always do, so I applied a small bit of putty around the fuselage/canopy join line, and proceeded to start sanding. Now, there are some interesting curves around that join line and the sanding was, shall we say, interesting. As in difficult to make two-dimensional sandpaper conform to a three-dimensional curve that was changing along two orthogonal planes, especially considering how small of an area I was working in. I got through the first application of putty, added just a wee bit more in a couple of places, and then just when I figured I was finished - Boing! Off comes the windscreen. :weep::owww::hypnotised:

Did I ever tell you that I hate vacuforms?

Cheers,

Bill

PS. At the completion of Step 32, please return to the beginning and start over. Thank you, and have a pleasant day.

• Like 10

Thanks everybody! :)

Well, believe it or not I've actually been working on the Sea Venom. Did I ever tell you that I hate vacuforms? Of all kinds? So I've already told you that I needed to use both of the vacuform canopies that came with the kit since I buggered up one of the cuts I was making. No problem, that's why they give you two. And then I mentioned that the canopy was a wee bit wider than the fuselage, so I had to carefully use CA adhesive one side at a time, to make sure that I could "squeeze" it together to match the fuselage width. Then, of course, I decided to blend the canopy into the fuselage like I always do, so I applied a small bit of putty around the fuselage/canopy join line, and proceeded to start sanding. Now, there are some interesting curves around that join line and the sanding was, shall we say, interesting. As in difficult to make two-dimensional sandpaper conform to a three-dimensional curve that was changing along two orthogonal planes, especially considering how small of an area I was working in. I got through the first application of putty, added just a wee bit more in a couple of places, and then just when I figured I was finished - Boing! Off comes the windscreen. :weep::owww::hypnotised:

Did I ever tell you that I hate vacuforms?

Cheers,

Bill

PS. At the completion of Step 32, please return to the beginning and start over. Thank you, and have a pleasant day.

Dont get too excited fairing the canopy into the fuselage, the whole thing sits on top of the

fuselage, held down with a pile of through bolts.

Good to see you on the mend.

• Like 4