1:72 CMR de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.53

Bring on the stickers!

Be careful Bill, your doctors are going to be well impressed with you doing all the chemo and overcoming the withdrawal symptoms, only for you to go chopping yourself into slices!

I don't know if it is true or not but someone once told me that super glue was developed for the US Army during the Vietnam war, precisely for closing up injuries in the field.

Martin

On 5/1/2016 at 16:34, martin hale said:

I don't know if it is true or not but someone once told me that super glue was developed for the US Army during the Vietnam war, precisely for closing up injuries in the field.

Martin

I can answer this question, having read the history of superglue this morning! Industrial cyanoacrylate adhesives and medical "liquid sutures" are different animals. The CA we use on our models contain methyl 2-cyanoacrylate and ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate. Medical CA uses n-butyl cyanoacrylate and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate. The chemistry wonks can chime in with an explanation about what that means.

The medical variety was first developed for veterinary uses during the 60s. The different compounds involved lower its toxicity (from the fumes) and reduce skin irritation and allergic reactions. The first applications were for repairing bones and, of all things, tortoise shells. A medical CA spray was used in Vietnam to temporarily suture wounds while the soldier was being transported to a field hospital. So while the US Army used it in Vietnam, they did not develop it. Oddly enough, use of the medical variety wasn't approved by the FDA in the US until 1998.

Or so says the Internet...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. My doctors wouldn't be surprised at all if I cut myself into slices!

• Like 6

Holy stencils, Batman! That's a lot of stickers!

38566118886_0a6f9f8e74_b.jpg

Especially for an aircraft the size of a Sea Venom. This may take longer than I thought, especially since I spent part of today fooling around with panel lines and the other part of today at my daughter's 30th birthday party. But I'll get them all on. Decalcomania is my favourite part of model building. It's when the model really starts to take on its personality. And I don't mind the tiny stencils - even though you can't really read them, taken all together they add some kind of ambient impression of government specifications run amok. In other words, military stuff.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

I quite agree! Steve's contributions to this and the Firefly builds have been extremely educational. Thanks Steve.

Martin

Thanks Martin I appreciate it.

When young Williams finished this one somebody needs to start building something else we

have in the collection lest I get bored and get into mischief :)

• Like 4

Hi Bill, I've been missing in action from Britmodeller the last few months and have only just read this thread from start to finish. What a journey you've taken us on - Brilliant modelling, a fantastic aircraft, informative and entertaining discussion set against the background of your real-life battle with cancer and opiate withdrawal. Such inspiration to us all. Best wishes to you, Andrew

• Like 1

Thanks Martin I appreciate it.

When young Williams finished this one somebody needs to start building something else we

have in the collection lest I get bored and get into mischief :)

I may be able to help there as I have the AZ 1/48 Vengeance kit nearing the top of the to do pile and a load of pictures taken by the lovely Danni. I shan't go to the extreme of buying the Oz Mods fuselage, but I will be looking to do a super detail job so I expect I shall have plenty of questions for you.

Martin

PS: As to keeping you out of mischief, I am probably the worst person in the entire world to help with that!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2016 at 21:50, caseyjones said:

On the positive side you don't have to paint them.

Stephen

True fact. I can see Eduard making a mask for them - I wonder what they are designating? Just a small black square, and you have to get real close to see that it's a square.

All of the stencils are on! See if you can find them all - I can't! Some of the gear doors, flaps, and speed brakes have stencils as well.

38566118506_a00ecc83fe_b.jpg

24750218858_f6937e2e23_b.jpg

24750218658_0e8b3b75fd_b.jpg

The squadron markings will go on tomorrow I suspect. There's not too many of them. I de-saturated the photo of the underside in an attempt to get the Sky to look more like it does in real life. It's better, but still not correct.

Rather than re-scribe some of the panel lines that got lost, or were fairly light to begin with, I'll patch it up with pencil later on. I've been doing that on my last few builds, and I like the way it looks. Plus, I hate scribing.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I followed the stencil instruction sheet (which is a separate A4 sheet) and checked off every one as they went on. Only 8 of those little squares were used - I guess the rest are spares in case the carpet monster eats some.

• Like 14

Fantastic Job ! Most stencils may be invisible but the ones that are visible look very realistic. I find that realistically small stencils add a lot to the realism when properly applied. If only all kit manufacturers added stencils of the right size...

• Like 2

Don't tell me about small stencils... I'm doing the Rafale with the Syhart decal sheet. So far, 146 decals only for the weapons and the underside, which is still not completed yet. Many of them are just small grey dots on a grey surface, and hardly visible at all. But it helps the kit look great, as it makes the surface very realistic.

Your Venom looks nice so far, looking forward to the end!

Alex

• Like 1

Great job Bill, as always. One of the things I admire about your models is the detail. Marvellous.

Your post #368 says you were doing some post-shading on the Sky with your #1 nozzle - is that the result or do you have a bottle of something I might also be able to use to get close to that effect?

I suspect it's the former... admirable artistry Sir.

There are 20 of these on the Sea Venom:

100_7025.jpg

I've just put the first one on. :)

Cheers,

Bill

You mean it had 20 euro coins on it??? :frantic::D :D Sorry, couldn't resist :)

As others said, all those stencils make your model look very realistic, and I love the weathering :clap: :clap:

Ciao

100_7032.jpg

The raised intake on the gun bay doors aft of the link chutes (on the left in your pic) is for an FAW.22 and thus needs to bugger off.

Yes you may direct profanity towards me as I should have seen this ages ago, I do apologise.

On 5/4/2016 at 05:01, NAVY870 said:

The raised intake on the gun bay doors aft of the link chutes (on the left in your pic) is for an FAW.22 and thus needs to bugger off.

Yes you may direct profanity towards me as I should have seen this ages ago, I do apologise.

This one?

37905147484_db253f1b36_b.jpg

Cheers,

Bill

On 5/4/2016 at 17:49, caseyjones said:

Bugger.

Maybe not so bad. First, we protect the areas around the "intake that doesn't belong" (looks like we're preparing for a vasectomy):

38566118246_a94e5af7e6_b.jpg

(You may have noticed that the squadron markings and national insignia are now on the model.) Next, use a very thin razor saw to slice off the offending protrusion. Some cleanup with fine grades of sandpaper, and we're here:

24750218128_48c6a18af4_b.jpg

The only thing left is to paint the repair site, and hope that we can make it match the surrounding area. This, of course, is the hard part. My plan is to brush paint the area first, being careful to cover only the area seen in gray, to build it up a bit. This will be sanded when dry, and blended into the surrounding area. Then we'll get out the airbrush and do some additional paint blending. Looks like I need to do some scribing, too. However, all of this will have to wait until later today as I have yet another appointment with my doctor. It's my one month follow-up to getting off of the pain meds.

24750217998_d4754cb644_b.jpg

In the meantime, I will say to Steve that he has nothing to apologise for, as CMR also make no note in their instruction book regarding the removal of this intake for FAW.53 variants. It is however, interesting that they do not show this intake in any of their camouflage scheme markings, even the FAW.21 or 22 variants. Odd.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 11

On 5/5/2016 at 12:49, Procopius said:

My employers actually published a book on Kodak and patents a while back.

Ah, the patent wars. Living in the city where Kodak was founded and has its headquarters, we got a daily dose of that story for many years.

Polaroid - a company founded on indirect serendipity. Their first product was polarizing film (hence their name). The story I heard was that Land discovered, by accident, research done in 1852 by a British chemist who had accidentally mixed iodine with dog urine, produced after the dog had accidentally drank some quinine. Upon analysing the green crystals that formed in the solution under a microscope, he discovered that they were birefringent. In other words, light passing through them became polarized. This discovery led Land to develop a method to create a film that did the same thing, and earned him his first few millions. My question is this - how on earth do you accidentally mix iodine and dog urine? Or for that matter, why would you do it on purpose? And why is your dog drinking quinine?

Oddly enough, during WWII Polaroid made anti-glare goggles - for dogs.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

"First, we protect the areas around the "intake that doesn't belong" (looks like we're preparing for a vasectomy):"

Somehow, that made me wince! Lovely surgery 'Doctor Bill'!

Hope the consultation went well.

Regards.

• Like 1