1:72 CMR de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.53

Bill, life has certainly been testing you over the last 12 months, but your resilience is amazing, I admire your attitude, dare I say even more than your modelling skills, although that takes some beating!

• Like 3

Bill, life has certainly been testing you over the last 12 months, but your resilience is amazing, I admire your attitude, dare I say even more than your modelling skills, although that takes some beating!

Bill, I agree with Neil. And I should add that my admiration for your modelling skills is practically unbounded......

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone. I truly appreciate the support from this marvelous group of friends (most of whom I've never even met). This really helps in so many ways. :)

Well, today is D-Day. I got a reprieve from my doc so instead of 14:00 for my last dose of Oxycodone, it will be 21:00. And, she said I can take a higher dose of Clonodine, which is used to combat the withdrawal symptoms. I have no idea what it's going to be like tomorrow after I wake up and before I go for the Suboxone in the afternoon. It will be the first time in over a decade that I will not be on some kind of opiate pain reliever.

I learned this week (or was it last?) about opiate-induced hyperalgesia. Basically, I've been on these bad boys for so long, I may be experiencing more pain as a result of treatment. Increasing the dosage of the opiate can often cause even higher pain. I guess it's very difficult to distinguish this from tolerance related effects. I talked to a person in the group session yesterday whose pain went away after she stopped taking the opiates. Isn't that lovely? Weird, at least, but I'd sign up for that!

I'll catch up with everyone when this is all over!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 11

Bill. the way we support each other is what elevates BM from being just a modelling forum to a community of modellers and I think that is why so many feel at home here.

Martin

• Like 3

Bill. the way we support each other is what elevates BM from being just a modelling forum to a community of modellers and I think that is why so many feel at home here.

Martin

Ditto! Keep it up :boxing:

Yesterday was D-Day! Today I can tell you that I hit the beach, flailed around a bit, got a mouthful or two of sand, but I've advanced inland! :)

I woke up yesterday in the midst of the worst withdrawal event I could imagine. I was literally rolling around on the floor, unable to stop moving any part of my body. Have you ever had a sensation where you felt that you must move something? Arm, leg, whatever. Imagine such a sensation for everything, and that you still have the sensation even when you're moving. It's uncontrollable. Shaking, moving, trembling, jerking, flailing. Hot flashes, cold sweats. Talk about your skin crawling. I guess this is the "full withdrawal" that I needed to be in. Scared wifey to no end, I'll tell you. Now I know why some addicts are put into padded cells - I could have used one, I've added a few more bruises to the collection.

These symptoms didn't go away until an hour after I started the Suboxone, so about 15:00. It was a long bloody day! Afterwards, the doc said "you seem to have had a rough go of it." Amazing.

I know I'm only one day into this new treatment, but so far the stuff is a miracle. No withdrawal symptoms. No back pain. I haven't felt this good in twenty years - seriously! I still have some slight hand tremor, but this should go away in the next few days. So at this point, I'm very pleased. It's all been worth it. Now to keep it this way! No more narcotic pain killers for me. Ever.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I beat the bloody bloke! (Only I used a word stronger than bloke!)

• Like 13

Top stuff, Bill. I have got hay fever and you should hear me bitch about that. It is nothing compared to what you have gone through.

I told you pommy comedy would help. You should watch "Keeping up Appearances". It reminds me of my parents.

Stephen

• Like 1

Hello Bill,

Although I have been reading this site and following all your builds for a number of years now, this is my first post. I find great modelling inspiration on BM and your builds have always been a joy to follow. Your personal struggle here has also been a source of great inspiration, so I just wanted to wish you all the very best from far away Vancouver Island.

John

• Like 4

Well done Bill, glad to hear you're through it. I don't think know I couldn't have done it and would have gone for the easy option... I admire your mettle Sir as much as I admire your modelling. Good man! :)

• Like 1

I was going to post some comforting words, but nothing I can think of seems adequate for your description of the symptoms you have endured.

You have my admiration and respect and from what you have said your new medication seems better suited to your needs.

Good luck. Go on treat yourself to that model you have always wanted. You flipping* well deserve it.

Trevor

*insert alternative adjective here

• Like 2

Bill, it makes me so happy to hear the new stuff is working for you! I really hope it carries on that way.

Sounds like the hell you just went though may be worth it. You are very brave to have done what you have, well done mate

Rob

• Like 1

I haven't commented on your recent posts, Bill, because I didn't know what to write, other than the usual platitudes, which I blame on my stiff-upper-lip/ repressed emotions British up-bringing, but I've been reading them thinking what a struggle you've been going through and I'm glad to hear that you've emerged the other side (although I doubt I'm as glad as you are).

Looking forward to seeing some more of your modelling soon.

Simon

(Edited for spelling.)

Edited by Beard
  • Like 4