1:72 CMR de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.53

On 3/8/2016 at 04:16, Duncan B said:

Will your Business Card Jig (sounds a bit like a Friday afternoon dance!) be available for hire/purchase. If so, send me your Business card !

Duncan B

Since I'm retired I don't actually have a business card, but I can send you an old one. Will that work? As far as my business cards (and by extension therefore, me) being available for hire, well, I am retired. Meaning I'm always looking for new revenue streams! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

Hey, you cheated and peaked at my business card jig! I guess great minds think alike. :)

Cheers,

Bill

No peaking required, I simply wrote what I would do with a surfeit of business cards ;)

Gondor

• Like 1

Hi mates,

This hasn't been a very productive thread so far. Sorry about that, but Mr. Mojo left the building for several days. When that happens, I can usually get him back by playing "L.A. Woman" very loudly through my headphones. But no luck! I had to revert to Plan B - build a model completely OOB, no aftermarket, no super detailing, no weathering, no panel line washes, no fancy metalizers, no floor wax baths. Just build it the way I would have 30 years ago, using only the parts in the kit. Build it quickly and most of all HAVE FUN! So that's what I did.

I chose the Revell 1:72 Northrop F-89 Scorpion. Nice kit, I think it will look good with some extra...wait a minute! No extra anything. Just build it. So here it is, three days' worth of speed modelling mojo recovery. I think it's not half bad. :shrug:

100_6984

100_6985

100_6991

I kinda like that fluorescent orange. Anyway, Mr. Mojo has returned! Now it's back to sanding the Sea Venom! :cheers:

Filler was necessary on the Sea Venom fuselage seam along the bottom and radome (my mistake), and where the booms attach. It's such a small model that it's not that easy to hold on to and sand. Plus, it's slippery! But there isn't that much to do, so maybe we'll be ready for primer/paint soon.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 16

.. Just build it the way I would have 30 years ago,

I wish the models I built 30 years ago had looked like that....actually I wish the ones I build today would!

That's a very nice Scrapiron Bill, glad it's got the mojo back so you can finish the proper aeroplane....!!

Keith

ducking & running for cover!

• Like 3

Thanks. It's true, the model was built over the course of three days, but since the house was empty during that time (except for me, of course) I worked on it pretty much night and day. The cockpit had already been assembled and painted (who knows when as I've had this kit in the stash for a long time). The natural metal part of the finish is Gunze H08 Silver and H18 Steel. I used their Fluorescent Orange, too. The kit gave no trouble at all during assembly, with just a bit of filler around the intakes. I should have sprayed some white underneath the checker decals, but I didn't and the decals are a bit transparent so the orange of the rocket pod shows through. It doesn't show so much in the photos though. Anyway, not a model that I would take to a competition, just one to build for fun.

On the Sea Venom front, those joints where the booms attach are being particular. I suppose if I stay at it long enough, they'll look OK. But I'm not satisfied yet. :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I've also discovered that I have another one of those F-89 kits in the stash (why?). Maybe that one will get the normal Navy Bird workout.

• Like 5

Hi mates,

This hasn't been a very productive thread so far. Sorry about that, but Mr. Mojo left the building for several days. When that happens, I can usually get him back by playing "L.A. Woman" very loudly through my headphones. But no luck! I had to revert to Plan B - build a model completely OOB, no aftermarket, no super detailing, no weathering, no panel line washes, no fancy metalizers, no floor wax baths. Just build it the way I would have 30 years ago, using only the parts in the kit. Build it quickly and most of all HAVE FUN! So that's what I did.

I chose the Revell 1:72 Northrop F-89 Scorpion. Nice kit, I think it will look good with some extra...wait a minute! No extra anything. Just build it. So here it is, three days' worth of speed modelling mojo recovery. I think it's not half bad. :shrug:

100_6984.jpg

100_6985.jpg

100_6991.jpg

I kinda like that fluorescent orange. Anyway, Mr. Mojo has returned! Now it's back to sanding the Sea Venom! :cheers:

Filler was necessary on the Sea Venom fuselage seam along the bottom and radome (my mistake), and where the booms attach. It's such a small model that it's not that easy to hold on to and sand. Plus, it's slippery! But there isn't that much to do, so maybe we'll be ready for primer/paint soon.

Cheers,

Bill

Bloody hell Bill that's you not trying!.....

Great that your mojo is back.

Rob

• Like 2

Build it quickly and most of all HAVE FUN! So that's what I did.

I chose the Revell 1:72 Northrop F-89 Scorpion. Nice kit, I think it will look good with some extra...wait a minute! No extra anything. Just build it. So here it is, three days' worth of speed modelling mojo recovery. I think it's not half bad.

Well, off to take up knitting.

• Like 6

I want to write something witty or something, nothing comes into astounded my mind. You are a REAL master craftsman, Bill. Your model posts are pretty to watch and I'm bloody envious of your modelling skills.

Stephen

• Like 1

3 days???! You're having a giraffe! ** Even if I did my absolute best it would fall short of your 'speed build'.

Welcome back Mr Mojo.

Trevor the quite frankly awed

** having a laugh http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Having%20a%20Giraffe

Being a former instrument instructor, i got a thing for all-weather interceptors, including the mighty F-89.

One heck of a stable weapons platform, but the enemy needs to call in advance so they have plenty of time to get in position to intercept. Afterburning engines, yet decidedly supersonic. Pretty much the American equivalent of the Gloster Javelin.

Great looking model. Have got one started, located deep in the stash somewhere.

-d-

Thanks guys, but a lot of credit goes to that kit. It's a real shake and baker. Now if I can only get the wife to stop scheduling all this family stuff now that everyone is back to their normal routine. I need modelling time! Well, yeah, the grandchildren stuff is OK, too, I suppose... :)

Now for another development - as many of you know, I have a storied medical history. I've had nine spinal surgeries, two bouts of cancer (one that I'm still working on), a rod in my leg from the hip to the knee, etc. A bunch of your normal garden variety crap. As a result of all of this, I have severe chronic pain. Consequently, I've been taking narcotic pain killers for over a decade. My current favourites are Fentanyl patches and Oxycodone breath mints. They work well, but they affect so many things. So, I made the decision, and it's not an easy one I'll tell you, to get off of this stuff. So right after the completion of the F-89, I signed up for a rehab program (the two aren't related). My goal is to be clean by April 7, and I've already started weaning off the dosage. :)

Withdrawal effects are miserable. I can't imagine what "real" addicts go through. It has to be hell on earth. I don't know how any of this will affect my model building. The doctor thinks working on the models will be good for me. I'm taking some stuff to counter the withdrawal, and it helps a bit. I'm confident I'll be able to get off of the opiates, but then the question looms - what to do about the pain? Well, I'm also back to physiotherapy, and the plan is to start a new medicine called Suboxone on April 7. In addition to combating the opiate dependence, it's also a pretty strong painkiller. I hope so!

My initial evaluation for the program went well. The doctor told me "You look great for someone who's in the shape you're in." I think that was a compliment! :)

Wish me luck,

Bill

PS. First group session is next Tuesday. "Hi, I'm Bill and I'm a dope fiend." :Tasty:

• Like 19

Best of luck to you, Bill; you seem to be accomplishing more in retirement than most men do in their whole working lives. A man who can build an MPM Sea Vixen should have no trouble with oxycodone.

• Like 4

I hope all goes well for you Bill and you find a solution for effective pain management.

Steve's photos really make me want to jump on a plane and visit that museum, I can almost smell that very distinctive smell that only old military aircraft have. A mix of grease, old webbing straps, leather, avtur and fossilised fear!

Duncan B

• Like 2