1/72 Hobby Boss Kamov Ka-29 Helix-B

I started today with another big airbrushing session, this time applying some colours. First I had to mix an orange colour for this rear light part:

P1120597_zpsn88tjxqv.jpg

That was a clear part but all my references show it with an orange cover fitted and it looks like that is what Hobby Boss have based the moulding on so opaque orange it became. I saved the orange mix in a spare tin - good job as I think it will need another coat.

I had already painted the exhausts with Alclad's "Exhaust Manifold" but that looked quite coppery so I gave them a misting of the darker "Burnt Iron", not too much though as that almost looks black when varnished:

P1120598_zpsyy0xa5jd.jpg

I also applied these colours including the "Air Superiority Blue" to the main airframe:

P1120599_zpsyea0gkzx.jpg

I used two different shades of Alclad on the weapons but I think the "Dull Aluminium" on the guns is too grey and different and will try another shade:

P1120600_zpsfmcbvulh.jpg

Next masking for the doors, the outside was covered by the mask set but I had to make my own for the inside:

P1120601_zpselkfkh41.jpg

Finally I made this pair of parts from the thin brass sheet which will sit on the inside of the door in about this position:

P1120602_zpsnnbdaoqv.jpg

I will separate them once they have been painted. I have also done a little work on the main rotors but I'm still thinking about how the rotor head needs upgrading.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Nigel the colour is not correct (IMHO)

I agree Igor, its almost a baby blue and not right. I have some Mr Color RLM 75 which I think is a much better match for the darker of the camouflage greys and will repaint it with that.

Today I have been tinkering around with the rotor hub. One obvious area that can be improved are these upright link rods. Their 1.3mm diameter scales out to around 100mm and is clearly not right (they also have a slight draft angle on them):

P1120604_zpsz5zgjbuc.jpg

My plan was to replace them with some 0.5mm plastic rod, I first cut off the offending rods and drilled out the upper part as deeply as I dared. I have also drilled out some 0.4mm holes for some plumbing later:

P1120605_zps90f98oin.jpg

With the main part drilled through I could then assemble the lower rotor as well as adding some spacer blocks to support the pipework:

P1120606_zps4tlielhs.jpg

The next set of links were added in a similar fashion:

P1120607_zpshc1es9sc.jpg

Modest progress then, I plan to do some airbrushing tomorrow and will get more done.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the rotor head, Nigel. Usually a can of worms (visually) , especially on some of the larger/older helo types. But such a focal point.

Looking good so far.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the rotor head, Nigel. Usually a can of worms (visually) , especially on some of the larger/older helo types. But such a focal point.

These Kamov rotor heads are fiendishly complex and take a lot of working out as to what goes where especially when reference shots are a bit lacking.

• Like 1

Cripes I'm away for a few days, and what do I find when I return? Missile launchers that probably fire, miniature door handles, and a probe that puts any aftermarket stuff to shame and could probably pick up Test Match Special from Sevastopol! Inspirational stuff. More please now thank you very much.

• Like 2

Thanks chaps. Another airbrushing session this morning re-coating the light cover and changing the gun colour to "Aluminium" which while hopefully subtly different from the missile launchers does bring them more in line colour match wise:

P1120609_zpsy2bvvyyv.jpg

I also applied the RLM 75 to various bits and the main airframe:

P1120610_zps9mqqodzc.jpg

Unusually I have decided to apply the darker camouflage colour first as I think this will aid in the masking process. I will have to give it another coat though as there are still some areas of blue visible.

The upper rotor got the same treatment as the lower one. I was going to leave the link rods but two snapped during clean up and I was forced to repair with more 0.5mm rod:

P1120611_zpstocmw0z2.jpg

I then made this part from a piece of scrap card. I made a hinge point by scribing with my Olfa cutter then wetted both sides with liquid poly to soften the plastic and prevent any cracking:

P1120612_zpsgxrozlbz.jpg

That got added here along with some 1mm square blocks drilled out for the pipe work to be added later:

P1120613_zps4nvxegaf.jpg

I then added these angled uprights using 0.25 x 0.5mm strips (that was quite fiddly) followed by some 0.28mm lead wire for the pipes:

P1120614_zps108vuc7k.jpg

P1120615_zpsgwg9taev.jpg

I think I'll declare the upper and lower rotor hubs now ready for some paint. The sprues are now virtually clear with just three rotor blades left to finish. I'll get those done before any more painting.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

"That was quite fiddly" he said! At first viewing I missed the link part in the shot with the Olfa cutter - tiny. The whole thing is a great example of micro-engineering - great work Nigel :)

• Like 2

This continues to amaze Nigel :).

As an aside, I'm enjoying seeing the brown plastic rod - it brings back memories, as I used to have a pack!

Cliff

• Like 2

This continues to amaze Nigel :).

As an aside, I'm enjoying seeing the brown plastic rod - it brings back memories, as I used to have a pack!

Cliff

Slaters, was it not? I had some also!

• Like 2

Slaters, it may well have been, most of the rest of the bigger sizes are black. Today I have finished cleaning up all the remaining rotor parts and got them primed. I have also masked up and primed the probe ready for some Alclad on the tip. I also had to respray one of the guns as somehow it had got scratched:

P1120617_zps1lwgimrz.jpg

I have also applied top coat to the door parts and resprayed everything that was RLM 75 as I could still see blue on all of them:

P1120618_zpskilduoys.jpg

I will let those all harden up overnight and should be able to get on with the camouflage scheme tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

These Kamov rotor heads are fiendishly complex and take a lot of working out as to what goes where especially when reference shots are a bit lacking.

I agree with you. The Kamov main rotor is very difficult to manufacture. But I'm sure you make it :clap:

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

First to answer Igor.

Nigel you have aqua pencils? Such pencils are well to do a variety shadings.

No I don't, I will be adding some tonal variation with pastel chalks though I think.

I started the masking with White Tack sausages:

P1120623_zps9isi30iy.jpg

Then, several hours later, had it finished with tape:

P1120624_zpsrvl5txpr.jpg

Not forgetting the doors where I have reversed the colour order:

P1120625_zpsx1vyda94.jpg

One major airbrushing session later here I can present the doors:

P1120626_zps32v8712s.jpg

Even thought the light grey is a gloss finish it was soon dry enough to unmask the main airframe:

P1120627_zpsu9lvoxks.jpg

Even though the doors will be open I was quite pleased how it matched up closed:

P1120628_zpsojlqmtwt.jpg

I also got further coats of paint on this lot:

P1120629_zpswyfm5bnx.jpg

This is how the rotor hub looks assembled and with its top coat:

P1120630_zpsj9wm4yal.jpg

There are a few areas of retouching required, then I need to mask for the black areas - then gloss coat and decals!!

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9